1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, here they are:

1. $60 million dollar fine to be used to help children/victims of sexual abuse
2. 4-year bowl ban
3. Decrease of initial scholarships from 25 to 15 plus another 10 for a 4-year period
4. Vacating all wins from 1998-2011
5. 5-year probation period

I have a feeling there could be a legal response from Penn State but then again, they may just choose to accept and move on.

This is also making me wonder...we have heard for many years that the BCS leagues were thinking about creating their own association. Does this push that idea further ahead?

Reactions: FlyingElvis

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
So, here they are:

1. $60 million dollar fine to be used to help sex-abuse children
2. 4-year bowl ban
3. Decrease of initial scholarships from 25 to 15 plus another 10 for a 4-year period
4. Vacating all wins from 1998-2011
5. 5-year probation period

I have a feeling there could be a legal response from Penn State but then again, they may just choose to accept and move on.

This is also making me wonder...we have heard for many years that the BCS leagues were thinking about creating their own association. Does this push that idea further ahead?
Penn St. has signed the consent form provided by the NCAA...there won't be any legal challenges, they've accepted the NCAA sanctions. As they should...how the mighty have fallen.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Penn St. has signed the consent form provided by the NCAA...there won't be any legal challenges, they've accepted the NCAA sanctions. As they should...how the mighty have fallen.

Yeah, I had already typed this up prior to hearing that...

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I a horrible person for laughing out loud at that?
I typed it quick...should it be re-worded? I re-worded it...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The entire situation is a very sad tragedy and a criminal offense. The focus today and in the future always should be on the victims.

That being said, once again the NCAA is out of touch with its responsibilities. This is just a knee-jerk public relations reaction to prove they have some power. How come the NCAA didn’t step in after the UVA Lacrosse murders, or how about the FAMU band hazing?

The legal system of the State of Pennsylvania and the United States has more than enough appropriate tools at its disposal to punish the guilty and ensure this never happens again. The NCAA should just do nothing!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That being said, once again the NCAA is out of touch with its responsibilities. This is just a knee-jerk public relations reaction to prove they have some power. How come the NCAA didn’t step in after the UVA Lacrosse murders, or how about the FAMU band hazing?

I was thinking about that as well...along with the Baylor murder situation and others. However, my memory isn't what it used to be and I'm trying to recall the situations and facts around the cases. Was there "cover up" involved? I think there was at Baylor. Was there a situation where a blind eye was turned for years? I just don't know. Did those situations actually occur within the convines of the athletic department?

I really don't know...but this is quite a thing that has just happened and I do wonder what the future ramifications will be as a result.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The NCAA didn't step in for the UVA murders because the coaches, and President and Board weren't involved in a cover up of some of the most heinous crimes we could all conjure up on this board.

Was the athletic department involved in a cover up of the FAMU band hazing? I dont' know all the details well enough to comment. This was a case where members of the athletic department - senior members - who are under the direction of the NCAA, violated the general themes of NCAA governance.

The NCAA has an "Institutional Control" provision in its charter/by laws for conduct of the Athletic Department and University oversight of Athletics. Penn State's athletic department and its corporate governance CLEARLY violated this provision, there is no acceptable argument counter to it.

Therefore the NCAA has the right to exert whatever penalties it wanted.

Penn State accepted the penalties. Didn't fight them.

The one element of the penalties people are not talking about is the independent monitor.

The best way to analogize an indepentent monitor is to have your mother in law look over your shoulder, question everything you want to do BEFORE and AFTER you ask permission from her. Independent monitors are often a part of corporate sanctions. In fact, I tweeted about 10 minutes before the NCAA announced its penalities "if the NCAA really wants to make it hurt, it would put in an independent monitor."

Independent monitors suck, ask anyone who works for a corporation who has one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
what's missing in the above list is that any current PSU player who wish's to transfer may do so and not have to sit a year. So with the reduction of scholies/players this may be worse than the death Pen.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
what's missing in the above list is that any current PSU player who wish's to transfer may do so and not have to sit a year. So with the reduction of scholies/players this may be worse than the death Pen.
+1

I tweeted when the penalties were being announced. "Penn State to appeal NCAA ruling, asking for leniency - the Death Penalty"

Interestingly, any current PSU player on scholarship can remove himself from the team and continue to keep his scholarship as long as he's in good academic standing - that's usually a Death Penalty provision (NU and Hofstra both allowed it for our FB players as well).

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The NCAA is a monster... That's all I have to say
Jerry Sandusky is a Monster. The NCAA did the right thing.

The NCAA's response was extreme, but they did the right thing. Notice that PSU didn't protest. As NUHF pointed out this is worse than the death penalty, a lot worse, actually. This will take a decade to recover from. You gotta remember that one of the reasons the PSU administration didn't act was because the football program was considered untouchable. If the NCAA did not react strongly, they would be sending the same message.

Bill O'Brien has committed career suicide, I don't think he realized how big a mess the situation actually was. It will be interesting to see what he does, if he bails now he will look bad, but this is a horrible situation now.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
When something like this happens...sports are the last thing that matter. Forget football- that's not even close to important at this point- PSU as an institution....has a long, tough road of recovery ahead. Joe Paterno coaching until he's like 90- I mean, anyone think that's normal behavior for people his age?

This thing probably goes so deep, so many questions, ..I don't even want to know- too scary.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Jerry Sandusky is a Monster. The NCAA did the right thing.

The NCAA's response was extreme, but they did the right thing. Notice that PSU didn't protest. As NUHF pointed out this is worse than the death penalty, a lot worse, actually. This will take a decade to recover from. You gotta remember that one of the reasons the PSU administration didn't act was because the football program was considered untouchable. If the NCAA did not react strongly, they would be sending the same message.

Bill O'Brien has committed career suicide, I don't think he realized how big a mess the situation actually was. It will be interesting to see what he does, if he bails now he will look bad, but this is a horrible situation now.
yep. Jerry Sandusky is also a monster and he will be serving his life-long sentence very soon. I just think the NCAA is going out of its bounds. The NCAA is doing this out of ethica/moral obligations but they don't have any legal power to do this. PennState is not protesting because they just want to move on but if they wanted to they would probably win an appeal...

This is a legal matter that should be resolved in the courts. This doesn't involve no competitive violations. and the program and its students shouldn't suffer for the crimes of Sandusky and a few other that covered it up...

This is insane

Things like this could break the NCAA apart...

We cannot get carried away by emotions like everyone else. The mainstream public that doesn't have any idea about how these things work support the NCAA decision but we in this board know that the NCAA doesn't have the legal authority to make such profound decisions to a program, student-athletes, and a school. This wasn't any competitive violation. This was a crime involving a child offender on school grounds with several different people covering it up. Those individuals should pay the price, not the program itself.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
How can anyone think docking scholarships or banning PSU from bowl games is appropriate for what actually happened? This is just a PR stunt by the NCAA. Again, what happend with MURDERS at Baylor and UVA - where was the NCAA?

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...owed-investigation-sanctions-different-others

Key PSU university officials clearly violated State and Federal laws mean to protect children! This is CRIMINAL act and is morally disgusting. But please don't ask the NCAA to enforce any penalties for moral or appreances sake - they can barley handle academic enforcement.

If I was in the Governor's office there is no way I would let crap by the NCAA stand. I would, as the Governor, put the entire athletic program into to some sore of recievership or trustee-appointed control board. The punishment should fit the crime, but keep the NCAA out of this.

Bannining the football team from post season play does nothing for the victims and it does not address a single cause of this problem.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I with ecasadoSBU 100%

This heinous crime was committed by an evil man and he should pay dearly for this in jail. The conspirators who covered it up deserve a similar fate.

But where does the NCAA get some sort of moral compass to extract fines and penalties for intercollegiate sports?

If Jerry Sandusky was a world-renowned science professor at PSU, and the Dean, VP, and Presidnet covered up the same crimes in a science lab, would we really expect the NSF to stop awarding research grants to PSU students/faculty?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
My take on it is slightly different. The reason the administrators covered up was because football was so important to the University. That is complete lack of institutional control over the athletic program and that is why the punishment is so harsh. If Sandusky acted alone with no cover up, this punishment would not be as big. The cover up was the big problem and this the NCAA has authority over, so they are not overstepping their bounds.

If the extent of the coverup is overblown, than yes, the NCAA may be overstepping their bounds.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
My take on it is slightly different. The reason the administrators covered up was because football was so important to the University. That is complete lack of institutional control over the athletic program and that is why the punishment is so harsh. If Sandusky acted alone with no cover up, this punishment would not be as big. The cover up was the big problem and this the NCAA has authority over, so they are not overstepping their bounds.

If the extent of the coverup is overblown, than yes, the NCAA may be overstepping their bounds.
+1

I know people who worked on the investigation, personally. These folks have worked on some major investigations (including Nazi war reparations, etc), the Freeh report didn't overblow anything.

This was a crime that was covered up.

Baylor had some pretty serious penalties, folks. A University employee was involved in a cover up there. They paid a price.

Someone tell me what administrators at UVA covered anything up in the murder there? Then I'll believe an analogy is appropriate.

The NCAA has authority under the "institutional control" provisions - like it or not, it's not overstepping the NCAA's bounds.

Rembmer, participation in the NCAA is VOLUNTARY. You don't HAVE to be a member. If schools don't like the NCAA, resign and join the NAIA or form another umbrella governing association.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
yep. Jerry Sandusky is also a monster and he will be serving his life-long sentence very soon. I just think the NCAA is going out of its bounds. The NCAA is doing this out of ethica/moral obligations but they don't have any legal power to do this. PennState is not protesting because they just want to move on but if they wanted to they would probably win an appeal...

This is a legal matter that should be resolved in the courts. This doesn't involve no competitive violations. and the program and its students shouldn't suffer for the crimes of Sandusky and a few other that covered it up...

This is insane

Things like this could break the NCAA apart...

We cannot get carried away by emotions like everyone else. The mainstream public that doesn't have any idea about how these things work support the NCAA decision but we in this board know that the NCAA doesn't have the legal authority to make such profound decisions to a program, student-athletes, and a school. This wasn't any competitive violation. This was a crime involving a child offender on school grounds with several different people covering it up. Those individuals should pay the price, not the program itself.
I disagree with your first statement. The students do suffer I agree and it sucks. But you got to look at the larger picture, if you let schools get away with this, it creates a moral hazard problem. Alumna and administrators will see a "slap on the wrist" response and continue to funnel money and and have a "win at all costs" attitude, which needs to stop. Also those individuals are the program. People make up programs.

As for the NCAA part I agree, they have a monopoly and act like they can do what they want, which is scary. There should be some kind of Jury of some sort, maybe an independent arbitrator. I don't like that the NCAA has so much power over our schools.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts