Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a question before:

Is Phil Jackson a great coach or has his legacy been more a result of him having great players?

He has only Gary Payton right now...things are NOT going well.

It seems he is a bit at a loss to me....I find it curious.

·
Registered
841 Posts
There are several ways to measure a good coach. PJ may not be the best XO guy but he was smart enough to surround himself with guys (actually I can only name TW) who are exceptional in that area.

Where PJ shines is in getting players to buy into a system, sacrifice their game and play together for the good of a championship. Personally, I don't believe it's entirely timing and coincidence that when he arrived at his teams, they finally started to win championships.

My opinion is that any number of guys can be exceptional XO guys but what makes PJ great and somewhat unique is the way he can convince a number of millionaire brats that they aren't the center of the universe.

That said, he was also smart enough to tie his career to perhaps the two most dominant players of this era.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I've actually been a PJ critic lately, but Jordan and Pippen = ZERO rings without PJ. Shaq and Kobe = ZERO rings without PJ. Yeah, the Lakers look like garbage right now but the guys out there are GREEN and are not used to playing under these conditions. If you're going to make this argument you have to let Phil take a team of youngsters through training camp and then see how they perform over the course of a season, not base his abilities on a 2-week stretch coaching role players. Not to make excuses for him because I have serious problems with a lot of things he does, but you can throw his 9 rings out the window.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts