Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

OT:Portland Marlins

2K views 117 replies 20 participants last post by  Utherhimo 
#1 ·
i just heard the florida marlins are looking for a new place to play.Moving out of Florida because of team interest.Anyone think they would move to portland and play in pge pack maybe until a new one got built.I know i would watch games that had the dtrain.It would be nice to have a baseball,and football team in portland.

#3 ·
tlong said:
IMHO, Portland will never have a MLB team because the public will never subsidize the construction of a new baseball stadium.
Yah, shame that we passed a bill that made it so the public doesn't have to subsidize the construction of a new stadium.

whats next, we'd need a "retractable roof" nonesense?

#4 ·
Zidane said:
i just heard the florida marlins are looking for a new place to play.Moving out of Florida because of team interest.Anyone think they would move to portland and play in pge pack maybe until a new one got built.I know i would watch games that had the dtrain.It would be nice to have a baseball,and football team in portland.
It'd be really sweet if we got a team (altho I have a preference for AL). I just seriously doubt that the Marlins are doing anything but just trying to put Miami over a barrell. And even if they are serious about moving, Vegas is much more "pretty", due to the money that surrounds the city.

But the minute MLB puts a team in Vegas, is the minute they'll have to let Pete Rose back into baseball.

If MLB knew what was good for them (if the team/teams moves) they'd put a team in Portland (and probably one in another untapped market if another team moves).

But, since this is MLB we're talking about here, I'll believe it only after they don't change the rules for moving to suit their wallet (can't say I blame them for doing that last time).

#6 ·
tlong said:
IMHO, Portland will never have a MLB team because the public will never subsidize the construction of a new baseball stadium.
IMHO, we've just found ANOTHER topic that you know nothing about.

Hap beat me to the punch, but here's a nice link where there's a lot of information to prove you wrong.

http://www.oregonbaseballcampaign.com/

#7 ·
As much as I would love to see a MLB team here I still don't think we could support one. With the amount of games played in the MLB season I don't think Portland has the fanbase to support a MLB ball club just yet.

#8 ·
Hap said:
It'd be really sweet if we got a team (altho I have a preference for AL). I just seriously doubt that the Marlins are doing anything but just trying to put Miami over a barrell. And even if they are serious about moving, Vegas is much more "pretty", due to the money that surrounds the city.

But the minute MLB puts a team in Vegas, is the minute they'll have to let Pete Rose back into baseball.

If MLB knew what was good for them (if the team/teams moves) they'd put a team in Portland (and probably one in another untapped market if another team moves).

But, since this is MLB we're talking about here, I'll believe it only after they don't change the rules for moving to suit their wallet (can't say I blame them for doing that last time).
Of course, there's the gambling issue in vegas. The tiny little Sports Action Oregon Lottery program kept NCAA basketball tournements and other big time sporting events out for years. Besides, nobody goes to Vegas for a baseball game.

#9 ·
I honestly don't understand why you guys don't have a baseball team already. Portland just seems like a sports kind of town. I think a baseball team would do really good in Portland, but again I'm not sure since I don't live there.

Anyways...yeah I think you guys deserve your own team, but from what I've heard it's either Las Vegas or Jersey. They are really hoping for Vegas, but of course they'd need to build a stadium.

#10 ·
sa1177 said:
As much as I would love to see a MLB team here I still don't think we could support one. With the amount of games played in the MLB season I don't think Portland has the fanbase to support a MLB ball club just yet.
We get the highest TV ratings of any market in the country that doesn't currently have baseball. Third overall, last time I heard.

We have plenty of support. Plus, we're still the most underserved professional sports market. (Aside from NY and LA, but they won't be getting another baseball team any time soon.)

#11 ·
sa1177 said:
why not? I'd suggest you go to the link fork supplied.

#12 ·
Hap said:
Yes. There are some very knowledgable people who post there...and Hap too.

#13 ·
Fork said:
Yes. There are some very knowledgable people who post there...and Hap too.
I was just about to say "well, I post there too, so I don't know if I'd say that"..but than I realized you beat me to the punch! haha, zing!

wait a second... :curse:

#14 ·
Pay Ton said:
I honestly don't understand why you guys don't have a baseball team already. Portland just seems like a sports kind of town. I think a baseball team would do really good in Portland, but again I'm not sure since I don't live there.

Anyways...yeah I think you guys deserve your own team, but from what I've heard it's either Las Vegas or Jersey. They are really hoping for Vegas, but of course they'd need to build a stadium.
New Jersey already has a team (in proximity)..it's called the Yankees and Mets.

MLB putting a 3rd team in that market, albeit a huge one, would be stupid.

Vegas is just a pretty gem that looks good from a distance, but not in practice.

#15 ·
Hap said:
That link is all speculation and projection. I love the idea but am simply saying I don't think we have the fanbase to support it. There is just to much else to do in the Portland area which would keep folks away from attending Baseball on a regular basis. Mountains, Ocean, outdoor recreation etc. This is a major reason the CO Rockies franchise has struggled with their attendance.

As the novelty of the first few years I believe we would struggle with attendance. Sure we could get 20-25k at games but that's not really supporting a team IMO.

I really would love to see it happen but looking at it from a pure business standpoint I don't think it's all that economically viable. A team that moves here will struggle to make $.

With all that said I still hope we get a shot at it and that I am proven wrong. :biggrin:

#17 ·
tlong said:
That's funny. I don't see any stadium being built?
thats funny, you're one again, wrong.

The stadium will be built once the team gets here, and is dependant SOLEY on us getting a team.

try again.

#18 ·
sa1177 said:
That link is all speculation and projection. I love the idea but am simply saying I don't think we have the fanbase to support it. There is just to much else to do in the Portland area which would keep folks away from attending Baseball on a regular basis. Mountains, Ocean, outdoor recreation etc. This is a major reason the CO Rockies franchise has struggled with their attendance.
the reason why the rockies have struggled isn't because of "other things to do" (which is the biggest cop out in the world).

EVERY city that has a sports team has "other things" to do.

As the novelty of the first few years I believe we would struggle with attendance. Sure we could get 20-25k at games but that's not really supporting a team IMO.

I really would love to see it happen but looking at it from a pure business standpoint I don't think it's all that economically viable. A team that moves here will struggle to make $.

With all that said I still hope we get a shot at it and that I am proven wrong. :biggrin:
I think too much is made out of the attendance #'s. If we have a decent owner, and he/they have a decent tv contract/concessions etc, they'd be ok. I think people are fooling themselves if they think we have to be competitive right away for fans to go. It'll take a while for a fan base to happen, but we shouldn't avoid getting a team because of nonsensical notions that it's not "economically viable".

#19 ·
A couple of notes....

With the Nationals across the Creek in DC, Northern Virginia is outof the picture.

Also this time around we have a team owner in charge of the hunt last time around MLB was the team owner and placed IMO stronger criteria out there than an individual owner will.

Well I guess I need to put the Bring Baseball to Oregon window sticker back in the truck.

#21 ·
Schilly said:
A couple of notes....

With the Nationals across the Creek in DC, Northern Virginia is outof the picture.

Also this time around we have a team owner in charge of the hunt last time around MLB was the team owner and placed IMO stronger criteria out there than an individual owner will.

Well I guess I need to put the Bring Baseball to Oregon window sticker back in the truck.
MLB also wanted the best $$ for their dollar.Since 29 owners owned the Expos (+ MLB itself, iirc) they wanted the most they could get to not only make money when they did sell the team, but also to make up for their lost money they loaned the Expos franchise.

#22 ·
tlong said:
Ooooohhhhh! I see. We have to have a team first! Then we build the stadium!

That'll work
so you suggest we build it first and then hope to get a team?

Yah, that'll work..

#25 ·
Hap said:
MLB also wanted the best $$ for their dollar.Since 29 owners owned the Expos (+ MLB itself, iirc) they wanted the most they could get to not only make money when they did sell the team, but also to make up for their lost money they loaned the Expos franchise.
And of course the issue of ownership was a part of the equation witht he Expos/Nationals

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.