Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....has quit the Providence basketball team.

UVM's chance of an upset in their second game just increased dramatically, as he was their best returning player.

Yahoo.com sports said the reasons he left the team was to focus on academics and he will remain in school, but then it goes on to say he was suspended for missing a team meeting this year.

I wonder what the real reason is behind him leaving the team? He is a local player from Lynn, MA, any of the Boston area-posters have any insight?

·
Registered
402 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:
....has quit the Providence basketball team.

UVM's chance of an upset in their second game just increased dramatically, as he was their best returning player.

Yahoo.com sports said the reasons he left the team was to focus on academics and he will remain in school, but then it goes on to say he was suspended for missing a team meeting this year.

I wonder what the real reason is behind him leaving the team? He is a local player from Lynn, MA, any of the Boston area-posters have any insight?
It definately seems odd. Also said he would weigh his options at the end of the school year. Sounds like he had some kind of falling out with the staff. That's only speculation though.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Dwight is something like 85-90% deaf, but doesn't know sign-language (he reads lips). I know that initially, he had problems in class because professors didn't always look directly at him while lecturing. He got a tutor or someone to go to class with him and take notes and stuff, which helped, but it's not the same as being able to listen to a lecture as I'm sure that students can attest to.

Providence is a school that actually holds its student athletes to a standard above the NCAA minimums. A few years ago, they had a goalie in hockey who fell behind and was forced to take a night class that met on Friday nights, during hockey season. He missed games. He wasn't below the NCAA minimums, but instead Providence's minimums. He was later kicked out of school for an alleged plagiarism incident.

But I think this may actually be a situation in which in order to fully focus on academics, basketball would have been a serious deterrent. He obviously needs to spend more time on schoolwork than your average basketball player because he doesn't have the advantage of learning in class that most people have.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This kid is one of the biggest losers I have ever met. I have season tickets to PC, and trust me, they will be better off in the long run without him. Addition by subtraction. Bad person.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Drew VT 6 said:
According to an article in Deaftimes he has known sign language since he was 2 or 3 years old.
Interesting. I recall hearing a report that said he had never learned sign language because reading lips would allow him to converse with more people. It also said that he kind of regretted that decision. I think it was on ESPN during a game.

PC is gonna have a rough go of it this year either way. Now its just girlfriend-abusing Donnie McGrath and a bunch of kids. They are going to have a hard time getting into the Big East tournament.

Vermont will probably see McGrath take something like 10 3's. He'll make a fair amount of them too, but now that Ryan Gomes is gone (as well as the double teams he drew), McGrath will have a lot more contested shots.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
trust me, they will be better off in the long run without him. Addition by subtraction. Bad person.
I've heard the same things about Brewington.

PC will be better off in the long run without him.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You've got to question whether his dealing with a lifelong disability
affects his behavior.
I hadn't heard anything bad about him until here and now,
I took a sign language class and the instructor said
that lip reading only gets you about 50% of what is said.
Sign language is better, but I took a class last year where a deaf student's interpreter didn't show up and she got nothing out of the class. She had to get notes from the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Brewington was initially rumored to transfer to another major conference (Arizona and Ohio St were apparently after him, supposedly Stony Brook was too), but according to NJHoops.com he is transfering to....Liberty...

Former Providence College star Dwight Brewington has found a new school. Brewington surprised many early in the year when he announced his plans to transfer from the Big East school. Brewington had left the men's basketball team for personal reasons.

Last season, he played in 23 games and averaged 13.3 points per game and 4.3 rebounds. He was the leading returning scorer for the Friars.

Reports are that Brewington will transfer to Liberty University in Virginia.
People REALLY must not want him around if he is landing at Liberty. Oh well, good luck Dwight.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
From FOXSports.com:

Jeff Goodman / Scout.com

Former Providence swingman Dwight Brewington is visiting Liberty and told FOXSports.com that he is leaning towards attending the Big South school.

Brewington, a 6-foot-5 junior who averaged 13.3 points last season, left the Friars at the start of the season and has a year and a half of eligibility. White has 2 1/2 years left after he sits out the next year. Brewington was contacted by Arizona, LaSalle and a few other school in high-major conferences, but he told FOXSports.com that he will likely play for coach Randy Dunton at the Virginia school when he becomes eligible a year from now.

"I'm going to make up my mind by next week and enroll this month," said Brewington, a native of Lynn, MA.

Brewington said that he is also considering Niagara and Central Connecticut State.

"I'll probably end up being at Liberty," he said. "I only have a year and a half to play, so I just want to go somewhere I can have fun."

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
GoCatsGo said:
"...so I just want to go somewhere I can have fun."

Nothing says "fun" like Jerry Falwell.
Exactly. If you want to have "fun", Liberty is probably the last place you want to go.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Bringing this up for the continuing saga of Dwight Brewington and poor life choices:

He has declared for the NBA draft after averaging 14/game at Liberty and will most likely not be drafted, nor return to Liberty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts