Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Rookie of the Year

OT: Rookie of the Year

483 views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Krstic All-Star 
#1 ·
There's been a lot of talk about this topic. Pippen picked Ben Gordon at nba.com. What do you think?

#4 ·
it should be okafor but they probably will pick gordon or howard (howard not so much) because their teams are winning.

Reactions: Petey
#5 ·
Jameer Nelson should recieve some consideration.

Jameer Nelson as a starter is a last year DWAYNE WADE clone (a little better actually)

Nelson (starting): 16.3 points, 4.5 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 1.6 steals
Wade (last year): 16.2 points, 4.0 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.4 steals

#6 ·
fruitcake said:

Jameer Nelson as a starter is a last year DWAYNE WADE clone (a little better actually)

I don't think Jameer Nelson will ever be close to what Dwayne Wade is this year.

Reactions: Petey
#7 ·
fruitcake said:

Only 14 games. Not nearly enough to draw a comparison like that.

#8 ·
well i didnt mean that jameer nelson would become a dwayne wade, i'm just saying that what he hsa done in a starting role in Orlando is remarkable

#9 ·
fruitcake said:
well i didnt mean that jameer nelson would become a dwayne wade, i'm just saying that what he hsa done in a starting role in Orlando is remarkable
Yes he has filled in well but it hasnt been a long enough time to get him rookie of the year.

#10 ·
I picked Okafor.

-Petey

#11 ·
I definitely feel that Thorn missed a huge opportunity this summer to pick up Emeka Okafor. The Clippers wanted Shaun Livingston and were willing to trade down their pick. I think Chicago would have been willing to trade the 3 pick to NJ for a resigned K-mart, or some other package. (ie: three way deal with denver)...

Nonetheless I think that Okafor would fit this nets team like a glove, and its too bad that the Bobcats will not trade their franchise player.

I see Okafor running away with the ROY award, and having a solid career avering 20 and 12 for the next dozen seasons or so.

#12 ·
hihofink said:
I definitely feel that Thorn missed a huge opportunity this summer to pick up Emeka Okafor. The Clippers wanted Shaun Livingston and were willing to trade down their pick. I think Chicago would have been willing to trade the 3 pick to NJ for a resigned K-mart, or some other package. (ie: three way deal with denver)...

Nonetheless I think that Okafor would fit this nets team like a glove, and its too bad that the Bobcats will not trade their franchise player.

I see Okafor running away with the ROY award, and having a solid career avering 20 and 12 for the next dozen seasons or so.
We make that trade and Vince never comes to New Jersey. You really want that?

#13 ·
At the time yes.

Now? I don't know.

Would I prefer the nets to have

Kidd
Carter
Jefferson
Collins
Krstic
+clippers pick

or

Kidd
Vaughn
Jefferson
Okafor
Krstic
+ actual cap-room potential. (assuming Thorn managed money correctly from that point)

...not really sure. I think the Clippers pick makes the first team more valuable. However, the second team is much more defensive orientated, and much more traditional.

I guess I will say, I am happy with the current team, but if thorn went the route, I would not protest.

#14 ·
Okafor Tonight: 12 points 7 rebounds 1 steal 2 blocks in 28 min
Howard Tonight: 12 points 10 rebounds 1 steal 1 block in 37 min

#17 ·
i'm surprised at only 2 votes for howard

#19 ·
if howard was drafted by Charlotte, we would be saying that Howard would win it and not Emeka....

#20 ·
Sporting News: Rookie of the Year should go to Gordon

But give the award to Gordon, who will turn 22 on April 4. Throw out standard comparisons. What matters is that the Bulls have become a dangerous team, one likely headed for the playoffs, and it's because of Gordon. Sure, there is a list of reasons for the Bulls' success -- the young core, production from veterans, Scott Skiles' coaching -- but none is more important than Gordon, who brings a late-game confidence young teams usually lack. Already, Gordon has led the Bulls to 12 wins with double-digit fourth quarter scoring. That's 12 wins the Bulls might not have gotten otherwise -- 12 wins that have them in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff race. Perhaps they could have won those games without Gordon. Of course, no one would have predicted such a thing -- but then, predictions can be difficult.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rookieoftheyearshouldgot&prov=tsn&type=lgns

#21 ·
fruitcake said:
if howard was drafted by Charlotte, we would be saying that Howard would win it and not Emeka....
Probably. Except it's impossible to say that with certainty. It could be that Okafor would fit right in with Francis and Hill, even better than he has with Brevin Knight. Doubtful, but possible. Different players react differently on young (and expansion) teams in particular. Still, my gut feeling is that we'd be saying just what you did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.