Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafer Alston does not feel as if he has been picked on this season, but he made it clear he does not agree with Jalen Rose's assessment of the Raptors. "Some of the things (Rose) said, you never should say about your teammates," Alston said yesterday.

"One comment was that some of us aren't playing to win games. So what are we playing for? It was mind-boggling. And a lot of us are like: 'So, you're the only one playing hard?' We all know that's not the case."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/04/02/979815-sun.html

Is there any doubt left about whether Paxson did the right thing when he unloaded Rose on Toronto?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
one thing about Skip..he'll tell you exactly how he feels. He must feel like he's battling for the leadership role as PG.

anyways, people on his last two teams seem to have problems with MR Rose

·
Registered
255 Posts
well to be fair his last two teams havent really been all good.... he is a winner and he likes to win i guess... but i dont miss him anymore than i miss Crawford.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Kismet said:
Is there any doubt left about whether Paxson did the right thing when he unloaded Rose on Toronto?
That's not important. Pretty clear that it would be more beneficial for us to have Jalen than the HAWK.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Skip is no angel either

Rose a winner? doubt that. He can play for a winner on a vet team, especially if he's far away from being in charge.
However...If Rose is your leader, he'll lead you to the crapper. He's not a hard worker, and he's *****y and whiney. A disaster as an example to younger players

He's just a ballplayer. If you want to call him talented or not.

to me, being called a winner takes more that just being a baller

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Boy, the next few paragraphs from the article add a lot of clarity.

After an ugly loss to the Orlando Magic on Wednesday, Rose -- who hadn't played in the fourth quarter -- unleashed a vague but vicious verbal attack on some of his teammates. <B>To be fair, he never named names.</B> But Alston's reaction yesterday confirmed he had taken Rose's words personally.

When Rose was asked last night if he wanted to amend or add anything to his comments from two days previous, he said he would "let it stand."

"I haven't named anybody personally," Rose said. "If responsible commentary is taken personally, I guess if the shoe fits you have to wear it."

I didn't see the quotes, but apaprently he said the team's problems were "self inflicted" which has some of the players upset. Rose, without naming names, mentioned a couple of events that involved Alston.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Rose is just frustrated with the way the Raptors have been playing. He really was playing at another level for a few weeks, in an attempt to get the Raptors into the playoffs, but things just didn't work out. In any losing team, you're going to have problems like this, I'm sure this has happend in Chicago many times, with or without Rose, when they were constantly missing the playoffs and settling for the lottery.
It happens.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
^^^have a feeling he means AD with prefering Rose over "the HAWK".

I'll take AD, His leadership, toughness, and all the money coming off the cap next year over Rose a million times over

Reactions: The Truth

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
"When we were losing early in the year, I showed my displeasure. But like a man, I said it was my fault. What (Rose) said is not sitting well with a lot of us."

Alston said he particularly was irked because in the locker room after the loss in Orlando, Mitchell asked if anyone had anything to say.

"This man (Rose) chose not to say anything to the players, but he chose to say stuff behind our back and to the media," Alston said. "So now a lot of us are starting to wonder. It's not right. It's not right, at all."

Does Alston feel the need to speak privately with Rose?

"No. Rose needs to talk to us," Alston said.

==========================================

tough tough rhetoric from Mr Alston

·
Registered
659 Posts
I never heard anyone call AD "The Hawk" before.

If that is the case, then I would have to decline to accept your opinon, Frankensteiner, that the Bulls would be better off with Jalen as opposed to AD.

It sounds like you're trying to make a joke.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rose has been a borderline cancer for most of his career. You cannot put players like this on bad teams and expect things to go smoothly. Even "high-character" guys get pissed off on bad teams so no one should be suprised that Rose went out like a b*tch

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Bl_ckB_st_rd said:
Rose has been a borderline cancer for most of his career. You cannot put players like this on bad teams and expect things to go smoothly. Even "high-character" guys get pissed off on bad teams so no one should be suprised that Rose went out like a b*tch
Nice name! Great album...

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts
Frankensteiner said:
That's not important. Pretty clear that it would be more beneficial for us to have Jalen than the HAWK.
If you mean AD, then you are as wrong as a donkey having sex with a sheep.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Kismet said:
Rafer Alston does not feel as if he has been picked on this season, but he made it clear he does not agree with Jalen Rose's assessment of the Raptors. "Some of the things (Rose) said, you never should say about your teammates," Alston said yesterday.

"One comment was that some of us aren't playing to win games. So what are we playing for? It was mind-boggling. And a lot of us are like: 'So, you're the only one playing hard?' We all know that's not the case."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/04/02/979815-sun.html

Rose may be a crappy teammate and Bell may be in consideration for pope, but I don't see how these statements offer anything knew to remove doubt.

I'm confused about how you indict Rose for calling out his teammates for not trying, but a couple weeks back you talked up Raja Bell as a prospective Bull for questioning his teammates' effort.

It's pretty much the same statements by Bell and Rose. There may be other reasons to like Bell and dislike Rose, but I don't see how the same thing coming from both of them should be interpreted differently.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mikedc said:
Rose may be a crappy teammate and Bell may be in consideration for pope, but I don't see how these statements offer anything knew to remove doubt.

I'm confused about how you indict Rose for calling out his teammates for not trying, but a couple weeks back you talked up Raja Bell as a prospective Bull for questioning his teammates' effort.

It's pretty much the same statements by Bell and Rose. There may be other reasons to like Bell and dislike Rose, but I don't see how the same thing coming from both of them should be interpreted differently.
That's a fair question, Mikedc. On the surface there certainly are similarities. And I'll admit I haven't followed either situation with enough interest to understand the full dynamics that may be at work in Utah and Toronto.

However, you may or may not have noticed that with regards to Bell, Coach Jerry Sloan echoed a comment in the article I referred to that more or less supported Bell's public statements: "Psychologically, I think guys are saying, 'Well, where are we going?' " the Jazz coach said. "Then they get out there and have the first couple mistakes that happen, and they start to hang their head a little bit instead of fighting through it.

It should also be noted that despite only being a part time starter, Raja Bell is a Jazz co-captain which implies that he's gained a certain amount of respect from his teammates regardless of his tendency to speak his mind. I checked a little bit but couldn't determine if Rose captains the Raptors or not.

In summary I guess I'd have to say that I took my impressions of each player from the tone of the referenced articles. The Utah piece didn't describe any friction between Bell and his teammates while the Toronto article was all about conflict and the reaction one of Rose's teammates had to his remarks.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Frankensteiner said:
I don't agree with that Frankensteiner!

To me - It's quite clear it's exactly the other way around.

With Jalen - we'd be a bad team , as I see it. No defense , no character. I mean the guy even thinks he plays hard and for the team??!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Mikedc said:

The difference as I see it is Bell can stand behind his words - he plays as hard as he can and does not play for stats.
With Rose the case is different - you cannot attack your teamates while you yourself ain't playing hard and just try to look good on tv!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts