Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Sabonis thought things were going to be easy when he went home to be owner/player for his home-town team of Zalgiris, he was in for a shock.

A few days ago, Sabonis broke the story about how the owners of Lithuania's most powerful newspaper who also happen to own Zalgiris' arch-rival, Lietuvos Rytas, are using media blackmail techniques to scare off Zalgiris sponsors. Already public money that had been promised to Sabonis' team has evaporated and now sponsors are reconsidering their support of his financially-troubled team. Adding to the mix are reports of a Lith BB League referee scam engineered by Rytas during last year's Finals (which Zalgiris won, anyway). The beleaguered Lithuanian President, who is currently being impeached, has directed an investigation into these suspicious activities.

Sabonis, just recovering from a severe lung infection that had him in bed for 2 weeks, is desperately trying to lead his team which faces elimination into the next round of the EL. Though he continues to be the top-ranked Euroleague player, he had his worst game of the season last Thursday while all of this was breaking. Not surprising. :no:

If you are interested, you can read the Lithuanian view of this scandal in the thread in our Sabonis Forum.

I hope Sabonis' broad shoulders are wide enough to carry the pressure that will be put on him for exposing this. You can be sure Rytas is digging for any dirt they can find and will continue to do so in an attempt to destroy him before this whole matter is resolved.. :mad:

And you thought the NBA had problems.......

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Faster than a speeding Vilnius trolley...

More powerful than a Lithuanian Bear...

Able to leap Gediminas Hill in a single bound...

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
CFFI, I just noticed your sig, is your PM box open?:laugh:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>gambitnut</b>!
CFFI, I just noticed your sig, is your PM box open?:laugh:
LOL......Yes, I finally gave up on my silent protest and deleted all my Sabonis fan mail PMs in honor of the New Year.

Everybody had given up on PMing me. Of course, nobody has even tried PMing me since then so I might as well have kept my box full. ;)

So Cal: I like the Superman analogy with the Lith twist! :)

Mike Barrett once ran a "Separated at Birth" column in RipCity that compared Sabonis and Superman. It was great. I wish I had the two pictures side by side on my computer to post here. The resemblance was actually rather striking!!! :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts