·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow what a game he's having...

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
I told you guys he was a beast. I really don't see how he doesn't declare.

·
Registered
263 Posts
sean would help fill the pf hole we have. he has very soft hand that would benefit the team with the likes of jkidd, vc and rj running the court. he can finish and is animal with a huge frame that could provide imediate help.

other possiblities that i can see benefit us are paul davis from MSU, david lee from FSU, sheldon williams from Duke and brandon bass from lsu.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Like the guy in jmk's avatar did a few years ago, he really impressed me in the tournament, by making the most of his abilities and almost willing his team to a championship. I'm a big Sean May fan.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
I doubt he falls that far in the draft, but he would be a pretty good player in the pro, he's absolutely unstoppable on the block

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Hbwoy said:
I doubt he falls that far in the draft, but he would be a pretty good player in the pro, he's absolutely unstoppable on the block
May wasn't a lottery pick until this tournament. Now he is most likely going to be, and he should be there for us to pick (if we don't make the playoffs).

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Playoffs we're drafting 15, if not we in at 12th right now. I think he's moved from the high twenties into the mid to low teens with the tourney performance. Plus I think in interviews he will move a couple spots higher too. He's smart, and a leader by example first. He'd be a great addition to the Nets, won't have the pressure to carry any burden from the outset, would be a nice change of pace alongside Krstic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I want him.... I'd do anything to have him on the Nets. If he declares.... I'd love it if Nets move up to draft him.

I really like May... and IMO him and Kristic could be a real good solid, young front line along with Kidd, Carter, and RJ and IMO we can contend with that kind of a line up.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
There are a couple of Sean May threads in the NBA Draft forum. I'm just gonna copy what I had to say about him over there into here....

May is an incredible college player. He's got great footwork, great hands, and he's very strong. But I think he's gonna measure out to about 6-7 or 6-8. The question then is: is he strong and quick enough to enough create space against NBA defenders to get his shot off? I don't know the answer to that question, but there's definitely going to be some doubt there, and I think he'll drop probably out of the lottery because of that. The thing is, you don't see a whole lot of 6-7, 6-8 PFs being successful in the league. He's a great rebounder and that helps his case tremendously, as that is the most directly transferrable skill from college to the pros.

If as some others have noted, he measures 6-9, this becomes less of an issue. However, he's still no where near Bogut as a pro prospect, regardless of what the tape measure says.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
jmk said:
May and Williamson are two totally different players.
How so?

Things the two have in common.

1. Great college big men, who will be undersized PF's in the pro's.
2. Great tournies.
3. Use wide bodies and good skill to be effective scorer's in the low post.

In fact, I see very little that is different about the two players.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
May has much better hands and feel on the defensive end. He is more of a complete player coming out of college, where Corliss was just a low post scorer.

I think May could stay in school because his Dad has money. Remember his Dad made a living playing pro ball so he isn't in a rush to have that huge payday. I am not saying that he is staying at UNC but I could see his logic if he wanted to.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
kamego said:
May has much better hands and feel on the defensive end. He is more of a complete player coming out of college, where Corliss was just a low post scorer.

I think May could stay in school because his Dad has money. Remember his Dad made a living playing pro ball so he isn't in a rush to have that huge payday. I am not saying that he is staying at UNC but I could see his logic if he wanted to.
I'm pretty sure he has stated that he is staying, and has yet to say anything otherwise.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
PSUmtj112 said:
Williamson was more then just a lowpost scorer in college. I know May is hot today because of NC winning last night, but I would not say he is a better college player then Williamson was.
Sean May is a much better rebounder than Williamson was. May is listed at 6-9 260 whereas Corliss is 6-7 245. May has some of the best hands on a bigman in a really long time. He's not great on defense, but still better than Corliss was. The only strength Corliss has over May is his scoring numbers, but that is because of all the talent that May has to share the ball with.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
jmk said:
Sean May is a much better rebounder than Williamson was. May is listed at 6-9 260 whereas Corliss is 6-7 245. May has some of the best hands on a bigman in a really long time. He's not great on defense, but still better than Corliss was. The only strength Corliss has over May is his scoring numbers, but that is because of all the talent that May has to share the ball with.
As far as May's height, i'm willing to bet he measures closer to Williamson's 6'7" then the 6'9" he is listed at. Heck, if you go by USA Basketball's site...which is far more accurate then college team sites...they have May at 6'8" (http://www.usabasketball.com/biosmen/sean_may_bio.html).

The weight difference is not a big deal, to me at least, because BOTH players are capable of using their size in the paint.

May is a better rebounder, but in the same token Williamson was a much better scorer. I don't buy the difference in their scoring numbers (May's highest season is below Williamson's college career average) because May had much better teammates. As far as college talent goes, Williamson played on a pretty phenominal college team with great teammates.

And in the end, my comparing them is based on what type of pro's they are likely to be. Both are undersized PF's that use their mass to score. That will be harder to do in the NBA, where the players are bigger and faster.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts