Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackie just might catch YOU lookin' at her ol' man! :laugh:

From today's CanzanoBlog..

Check out the latest HBO "Real Sports" episode that features the atypical relationship of Orlando Magic guard Doug Christie and his warden, umm, I mean wife, Jackie.

Tape it if you have to, because it would make a wonderful wedding gift for a close friend who is at risk to be body-snatched himself or herself. Just drop it in the pile of gifts at the reception, no card necessary.

To summarize:

Jackie goes on the road with the Magic and rarely leaves Doug's side. She also forbids her husband from doing one-on-one interviews with female reporters, unless they resemble his aunt. And she also seems to think that all females want to steal away her husband, as if Jackie's not already tailing the poor sap everytime he leaves the compound anyway.

Then, there's this secret signal that Doug gives Jackie dozens of times DURING games --- just to make sure she knows he loves her and is thinking about her. (I don't even want to know what happens if Doug forgets to signal.)

Also, someone points out, there's no www.dougchristie.com but there is a www.jackiechristie.com

The Blazers need to trade for this guy because there's a reality show in this somewhere....

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What if Jackie Christie were actually Terri Schaivo? In that situation. would there be a case for pulling the tube? (groaaaaan.....)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nothing turns me on more than an insanely insecure, clingy, co-dependent Woman.

Doug's a real lucky guy.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
The media is having a field day with this story, which I find ironic. In this age of easy divorce, rampant promiscuity (especially in the NBA), broken homes, and angry and depressed kids, we're going to pick on a couple that is working to keep their marriage strong??

I watched the HBO special, and I didn't think the Christies were "nuts" at all. While it may be unusual for a wife to travel with the team, it should also be "unusual" for an NBA player to sleep with a different woman in each city. But it's not. That goes on every night during the NBA season, yet you don't see any TV specials making fun of this highly irresponsible behavior.

Magic Johnson used to regularly have sex with multiple partners--or have we forgeten how he contracted HIV? Magic confessed on national TV that he once had sex with 6 women at the same time. Oh, yeah, by the way, his longtime girlfriend Cookie was home at the time, staying faithful to him. The fact is, many many NBA players are screwing around on their wives when they go on the road, and Jackie and Doug realize this.

Go ahead and mock them for taking their marriage vows seriously. I'm going to applaud them myself.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talkhard said:
Go ahead and mock them for taking their marriage vows seriously. I'm going to applaud them myself.
I understand you applauding them TH. But, the nature of love necessitates a certain amount of trust. I struggle with seeing much of any here -- at least, on the part of Jackie. :whoknows:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Talkhard said:
The media is having a field day with this story, which I find ironic. In this age of easy divorce, rampant promiscuity (especially in the NBA), broken homes, and angry and depressed kids, we're going to pick on a couple that is working to keep their marriage strong??

I watched the HBO special, and I didn't think the Christies were "nuts" at all. While it may be unusual for a wife to travel with the team, it should also be "unusual" for an NBA player to sleep with a different woman in each city. But it's not. That goes on every night during the NBA season, yet you don't see any TV specials making fun of this highly irresponsible behavior.

Magic Johnson used to regularly have sex with multiple partners--or have we forgeten how he contracted HIV? Magic confessed on national TV that he once had sex with 6 women at the same time. Oh, yeah, by the way, his longtime girlfriend Cookie was home at the time, staying faithful to him. The fact is, many many NBA players are screwing around on their wives when they go on the road, and Jackie and Doug realize this.

She also forbids her husband from doing one-on-one interviews with female reporters, unless they resemble his aunt. And she also seems to think that all females want to steal away her husband, as if Jackie's not already tailing the poor sap everytime he leaves the compound anyway.

Then, there's this secret signal that Doug gives Jackie dozens of times DURING games --- just to make sure she knows he loves her and is thinking about her. (I don't even want to know what happens if Doug forgets to signal.)

I'm sorry, but that's complete dysfunction. There's nothing to commend there. Working through their marriage? Some marriages ARE NOT worth working through. I'm not saying this marriage in particular should end in divorce because I don't have all the facts, but if the above info is indeed correct, I wouldn't think twice about leaving my wife.

But that's just me. A man that's been in a relationship for 7 years...... and counting.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's complete dysfunction.
Hardly. "Complete dysfunction" is when a married player goes to bed with some stranger waiting outside the locker room after a game, and repeats the same behavior at the next stop on the road trip. That's what leads to broken marriages, sexually-transmitted diseases, and heartbreak.

A married couple sending each other signals during a game is simply their way of pledging their love and affection for each other. It may not be your style, but to call it "dysfunctional" says more about you than it does them.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Talkhard said:
Hardly. "Complete dysfunction" is when a married player goes to bed with some stranger waiting outside the locker room after a game, and repeats the same behavior at the next stop on the road trip.
So now doing an interview with a female reporter and having sex with some skank from a club are the same thing?

News to me.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Talkhard said:
That's what leads to broken marriages, sexually-transmitted diseases, and heartbreak.
Yes. How many marriages have we seen Ann Schatz break up with her horrible beguiling ways. Sure it starts off innocent....

"I'm here with Joel Przybilla. Hey Joel, your last name is hard to pronounce!" next thing you know, they're underneath the bleachers bumping uglies. If it's happened once, it's happened a million times.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The whole traveling with the team is fine, IMO. Especially with all that goes on, but..... I'd draw the line at the rule of not being able to do an interview with a female. Oh and the one about any mandatory signals during the game. I wonder how many times Doug has heard, "Yo, Doug! Get your head in the game and stop signalling your psycho wife".

·
Registered
731 Posts
vh1 has already started filming their reality TV show called the Christies.... Not sure if it'll actually come in to fruition

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
So now doing an interview with a female reporter and having sex with some skank from a club are the same thing?
Of course not. The point is, Doug Christie is doing what he feels he needs to to remain faithful to his wife. He should be commended for that.

Some people are more susceptible to temptation than others. I don't know Doug's personal history, but perhaps he was very promiscuous at one point, and doesn't want to go back to that old way of life. So he and his wife have come up with some rules to help him avoid the old pitfalls. Those rules seem to be working for both of them, so who cares if they seem "weird"?

What's really weird are the NBA players who sleep around on their wives or girlfriends with any pretty face they happen to meet. But where is the surprise and indignation about that? It doesn't seem to exist on this board.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Fork said:
Yes. How many marriages have we seen Ann Schatz break up with her horrible beguiling ways. Sure it starts off innocent....

"I'm here with Joel Przybilla. Hey Joel, your last name is hard to pronounce!" next thing you know, they're underneath the bleachers bumping uglies. If it's happened once, it's happened a million times.

I think Jackie is okay with interviews if the woman sounds like a man. No way Anne is gonna wooo anyone with that rasp voice

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Talkhard said:
What's really weird are the NBA players who sleep around on their wives or girlfriends with any pretty face they happen to meet. But where is the surprise and indignation about that? It doesn't seem to exist on this board.
Probably because every male poster here secretly wishes he could trade places.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Fork said:

Ann Shatz is lesbian.......I actually ran into her at McMenamins one night and she was holding hands with another woman and acting all cuddley.........But thats neither here nor there....

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Ann Shatz is lesbian.......I actually ran into her at McMenamins one night and she was holding hands with another woman and acting all cuddley.........But thats neither here nor there....
See what I mean? Those female sportscaster types will lure you in! I bet the other chick wasn't even lesbian before Ann Schatz got her in a one-on-one interview.

And Doug Christie is such a hottie that NO WOMAN ALIVE could resist seducing him instantly upon meeting him. Even a lesbian. Even a woman who's happily married. Jackie Christie knows what's up.

You go Jackie!

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
What ever happened to Jackie Jackyl?

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
If a male behaved like Ms Christie, they would be knee deep in TROs.

But hey, it is OK for *women* to act that way, because all men are promiscuous pigs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
936 Posts
You're the one that turned this into a discussion about NBA players and their inability to stay faithful to their wives. I just don't see the connection between the Christie's story and NBA adultery.

However, now that you've taken this discussion to a different place, I would have to stand with you in saying that I find it immoral to sleep around on one's wife. No matter how famous or rich you are.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't think it is intelligent for ANY man to be alone in a closed room with a woman. Too many lives have been ruined by he-said, she-said kinds of things. I will not put myself in a position where I am alone in a closed room with a woman who is not a family member. The downside is there (if unlikely), and the upside is nil.

I am hardly alone -- it is standard practise for teachers and professors of either sex to make a point of always keeping their door ajar to avoid precisely this kind of problem -- with students of either sex. And it is surely worse when the man is wealthy and a good target.

So I can understand having this kind of policy in a marriage. It is not a matter of trust: it is a matter of common sense and intelligently playing the odds.

As to their marriage specifically: some women are high maintenance. I don't see that as dysfunctional. "There's nowt as ***** as folk." As long as two people willingly choose to make a marriage I try NEVER to kibbitz about their relationship. Everyone has a unique relationship, and many parts of any marriage could easily look mighty strange to "normal" folk. Besides, there are silver linings with every personality type.

To sum up: butt out. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts