Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are slow when this time of year they would be jumping which adds to the struggles we all must be going through now, so I thought I would try to get a little conversation going on this topic.

Seemingly in the dark of night, as New Rochelle, NY became one of the hardest hit areas in the USA by the coronavirus, Iona College hired Rick Pitino. This became a hot topic on the Fordham board with many differing opinions on the hire, so I became curious as to what people here had to say about such a hire.

I, for one, in the worst way, want Fordham to win at basketball, but I do not want it to be done by hiring a guy like Pitino. I also think it would have looked like a completely desperate move by us and would have been poorly received by most.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
My observation is that Fordham’s problems run deeper than the HC. Following the model used by Duquesne to jump start it's program is a better path than hiring Pitino. Fordham is too good of an institution to be involved with that image, and would be better off moving to the Patriot League vs. making a hire for the hope of an easy fix like that.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I always like having Iona on the OOC. This past season was a blip, but they’re almost always a strong contributor to the SOS. Let’s do a four-year deal. One in Olean, one in New Rochelle, one in Rochester, and one at Barclays.
The Bonnie’s need to stop scheduling OOC road games all over the state of New York

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My observation is that Fordham’s problems run deeper than the HC. Following the model used by Duquesne to jump start it's program is a better path than hiring Pitino. Fordham is too good of an institution to be involved with that image, and would be better off moving to the Patriot League vs. making a hire for the hope of an easy fix like that.
Perfect summary of how I feel about it.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
The Bonnie’s need to stop scheduling OOC road games all over the state of New York
We don’t have a ton of choice in the matter. I’d love for SBU to buy five or six home OOC games, but that just isn’t happening right now. Most years, it’s: two or three buys; our traditional series with UB, Siena, Canisius, and Niagara; an exempt tournament; and the best SOS opponents—home or away—we can muster.

As (I think) jp has said, the A10 could get creative by setting aside some of its NCAA revenue each year to maximize buy games for all conference members. Pieced together across the 12 or 13 schools that don’t have huge buy game budgets, even one extra home game per year makes a difference in the SOS.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you think your school's president would vote on Iona joining the A10? Does Pitino being their coach help or hurt?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Yeah. With respect to Iona, which is a fine program, I don’t see them moving the needle for the A10 right now.

There isn’t a no-brainer addition right now like there was when VCU and Butler were offered membership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts