Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Spurs

Votes: 1 7.1%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after watching that Spurs/Wolves game last night, it's pretty clear in my mind that Minnesota is the team to beat.

San Antonio lost at home despite a monster 30 pt, 20 reb game by Duncan. Somebody pointed out in the main NBA forum that they are 0-6 against the Lakers, Kings, Wolves and Mavs.

The Wolves just seem to have a nice balance of scorers, ball handlers, defenders and rebounders. KG has somehow managed to raise his game another level this year, and wins my vote for league MVP and DPOY. what's more, they don't need him to have huge nights every night. Cassel leads the league in guard FG%, and Spree looks five years younger after leaving New York.

The Kings and Mavs are both good teams, but the defense just isn't there to consistently win, IMO.

if the Lakers click, they win it all. but it seems there are two big problems there:
1. the distraction of Kobe's trial
2. more stars means fewer shots for Shaq

Steve Kerr said it during the game, and I have to agree with him. the Wolves are simply the best team in the league.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I vote Shaq, too. I mean Lakers. If Shaq's relatively healthy and 2 of the other 3 guys are there, they win it.

I think the Kings are second on my list, with the Wolves, Mavs and Spurs in that order behind them. I just don't think the Spurs have got what it takes to beat the good teams consistently.

Ed O.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Why did you put "(the homer vote)" next to the Blazers option? Made me feel vaguely ashamed about voting for them... :sigh:

No, I have the Lakers as the odds-on favourites assuming A. they are healthy for the playoffs and B. they finish in the top four seeds in the West.

Even if the Lakers are healthy or mostly-healthy for the playoffs, being on the road in potentially every series would likely be too much in a loaded West. Unlike previous seasons, the Lakers are manifesting a major preference for home games. So, if all these injuries prevent them from getting a top-four seed, that will hurt.

Next, I have the Kings. People seem to have written them off, in some sense, as having seen their best window close. I think they're still a tremendous team, especially if they win home court advantage throughout the Western playoffs. They're in the elite without their best player. I think they'll be able to integrate Webber back in with no problem, because he's such a good passer and fits the system to a 'T.' Upgrades the starting five and Vlade upgrades the bench.

The Wolves have overtaken the Spurs in my estimation. They are for real, their assemblage of talent has really gelled nicely, and they still have Hudson and Sczerbiak as a bit of cavalary on the horizon. I don't know that they can win three consecutive series against top teams, but they are a serious contender.

The Spurs slot in fourth. They need to start beating some elite teams. They're oh-fer against the best Western teams this season. They're still the best defensive team in the game, they still have arguably the best player in the game and they have some nice offensive pieces in Parker and Ginobili. And they've proven they can win it all, so they're definitely still serious contenders.

Just for completeness, I'll also include Dallas, who I see as the fifth best team in the West. I do not consider them serious contenders. They have a great offense, which means they could win any single series just by being on top of their game offensively. But their defense will not allow them to win three series against great competition. They just gave up 120 points to the Knicks, of all teams. They absolutely cannot play a lick of defense. Therefore, they absolutely have no hope of winning the championship. But they could knock off any of the above in one series, if they are hot.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
You could have at least put San Antonio as an option though, because they still have a legit chance to win it also, despite their sluggishness this season.
my mistake. I meant no offense--I think they are contenders as long as Duncan is in the game. clearly, if Dallas is up there, the Spurs should be too.

I just forgot to list them.

could our new mod please rectify my mistake?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts