1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Oh, what could have been for America East........thanks BU!
Honestly, what is the difference in the case of UCONN? UCONN will continue to play in the Big East for all sports and hockey in Hockey East. Maine will never play in a league with UCONN in any other sports. Who cares if it is called Hockey East or America East?

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Honestly, what is the difference in the case of UCONN? UCONN will continue to play in the Big East for all sports and hockey in Hockey East. Maine will never play in a league with UCONN in any other sports. Who cares if it is called Hockey East or America East?
The league probably cares and therefore the member schools probably care. Don't you have a Patriot League forum now? ;)

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My point would be the increased visibility and the leverage the conference would have...the TV deals, Frozen Four appearances & national titles of the schools would trickle down and help all the league members. To be in a conference that has affiliate members with such recognizable brands as Notre Dame, UConn & even BC to a certain extent would help everyone. Hey, in today's world, every little bit helps...

Imagine how much exposure the league would get from a headline or story on any TV station that mentions America East's Boston College wins the Hockey National Championship...

I'm sure the CAA has enjoyed having some football success...

·
Registered
799 Posts
The continued existence of MaineJeff is the number one positive to come out of BU moving to the Patriot League. The fact that we're going to a better conference, with better schools and better sports eats at him so badly that it makes us all smile.

umainealum, I'm not really buying the argument that they're going to be competitive fairly quickly just because they're pumping money into the program and moving into HE. UConn is a BAD program. Money isn't going to change that. It's going to take years. Fans aren't going to show up just because they play in a bigger arena. Players aren't going to want to go there because they play in a big arena because the arena is going to be empty. It's kind of a catch-22 - can't get good players without having a more visible program, can't have a more visible program until you get good players. By pumping money in, they'll have better facilities, maybe get a better coach, have a few more scholarships, and that all will lead to decent players instead of the awful ones they have now. Maybe they can squeeze out results that are better than they should get with those players and that will lead to bringing in the good players to build a HE championship-contending team. But it'll take years for that to happen. I think they'll be a doormat for a decade.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The continued existence of MaineJeff is the number one positive to come out of BU moving to the Patriot League. The fact that we're going to a better conference, with better schools and better sports eats at him so badly that it makes us all smile.

umainealum, I'm not really buying the argument that they're going to be competitive fairly quickly just because they're pumping money into the program and moving into HE. UConn is a BAD program. Money isn't going to change that. It's going to take years. Fans aren't going to show up just because they play in a bigger arena. Players aren't going to want to go there because they play in a big arena because the arena is going to be empty. It's kind of a catch-22 - can't get good players without having a more visible program, can't have a more visible program until you get good players. By pumping money in, they'll have better facilities, maybe get a better coach, have a few more scholarships, and that all will lead to decent players instead of the awful ones they have now. Maybe they can squeeze out results that are better than they should get with those players and that will lead to bringing in the good players to build a HE championship-contending team. But it'll take years for that to happen. I think they'll be a doormat for a decade.
The Patriot League is really that much better than the Aeast? Both are one bid leagues with very good academic schools! Both have had their good years and great success! I look at the leagues as really being not that much different. But I guess you can spin the move of BU who talked all about going the A10, CAA, Big East and have "settled" for the Patriot League. But hey Bu fans you spin it however you want!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts