Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
UMBC fan
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
USU going into Double OT against Penn. Another Horvath strong performance, and Eytle-Rock struggling. The execution by the Aggies at the end of regulation and the first OT was mindblowingly poor and they're lucky to still be playing.
A strong second OT will advance USU into the Myrtle Beach Invitational semis tomorrow against New Mexico State.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Wow, they are kicking the crap out of an undefeated New Mexico State team right now. Up 41-16 at the half and playing pretty well.

Reactions: umbc32244

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Man, I enjoy watching this Utah State squad. It's been nice having them playing here in the East for a few games so we get some early tip times. I look forward to seeing where this team ends up.

Reactions: charliemike

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
If RJ can pick up his form (he really doesn't need to do more than 8ppg and play better defense) I think Utah State is a pretty solid team. However, if they lose anyone out of the first 5 it's going to be a tough season. They don't have much of a bench and there's a big drop off from the first five.

I hope they do well and make the NCAA. Brandon was on the bench in 2018 (one of the Fortnite crew) but he didn't play. I'd like to see both Brandon and RJ get to play.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Rewatching the game, RJ is really struggling. It doesn't look like it's pace or straigth physicality. I think he's just mentally struggling to adjust to the level and is probably not quite laterally quick enough for a team like Oklahoma.

But I think he'll get better and playing against tougher competition than he did at UMBC will only make him better.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Utah State plays Saint Mary's (WCC) Thursday at 9pm Eastern. Going to be a tough test for Odom and the Aggies. A win at home would really bolster their OOC resume.
They have a pretty big 5 game stretch coming up that, while it won't make or break them, will definitely play a pretty big role in their attempt to get into the NCAA Tourney should they not win the Mountain West auto bid. The games are:

12/2 - vs St Mary's (7-1, with wins over Oregon & Notre Dame, only loss by 6 to Wisconsin)
12/8 - @ #12 BYU (6-0, with wins over Oregon, San Diego State & Utah)
12/11 - vs New Orleans (3-4)
12/15 - @ Weber State (6-0, no big wins, but have defeated UMass, Ball State, Duquesne, picked 2nd in Big Sky)
12/18 - vs Iowa (7-0, win over UVa was by far their most difficult game, this will be played in Sioux Falls)

If they hope to have a shot at an at-large down the road, they probably need to win at least 3 of those 5 games if not 4. Considering 4 of the 5 have a combined record of 26-1, that might be asking a lot.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
That Oklahoma win for Utah State may help their resume more than I had originally thought as the Sooners just beat #14 Florida tonight, 74-67.

Reactions: charliemike

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
They have some tough games coming up that will be very good OOC wins too, starting tonight with Saint Mary’s.
Like what I listed above...

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Brutal ending for Utah State vs St Mary's. I know it's been discussed in the other thread, but it's probably more pertinent in here. They need to bounce back and just forget what happened. Odom will have to really coach them right now so that there are no lingering effects from a game that they shoulda coulda won. It's now on to BYU, who also suffered a loss that they shouldn't have and will come out fighting for sure.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts