Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slam Dunk contest

In todays news, Ricky Davis recieved an OK to participate in the 2004 slam dunk contest! The NBA wanted to limit the contestants to players with three years experience or less. So My question is! Why Not Vince Carter?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ok, why would vince carter participate in this year or any other future year's dunk comp???

His last performance was with out a doubt the greatest dunk comp performance ever. The only thing he was ever able to do to top it was JUMP OVER a 7 foot french man.

Since then he has had two serious leg injuries and has CLEARLY lost a few inches off of the vert. Look...it happens. He's getting older. He's not 23 anymore. He's still a good basketball player.

Why the hell would he go into the comp knowing that he couldn't match his previous output. EVERYONE watching would expect him to blow the roof off the place and he wouldn't. He is STILL riding the popularity from that year. If he entered he would only ruin that.

Its like Jordan comming back and playing for the wizards. I just wanted to remember him taking that game winning shot at the top of the key to win the NBA championship...instead I remember him as slightly overweight and arrogant on a horrible team. I love that Vince know's not to go back...it would only ruin everyone's perception of that. Besides I like the idea of it being a showcase for younger talent.

Good for vince for knowing when to walk away.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
I knew the whole "rising stars" rule was bogus. As soon as someone half decent wants to be in the competition, they drop that rule like a dime in a Sprint commercial.

Vince has no motivation to do another dunk contest. Think about it: his contest will be remembered as one of the best, if not the best ever. He will be remembered for the dunks of that contest and regarded as one of the games greatest dunkers.

If he does another competition, there is no way he can eclipse that other contest. Almost anything he does would be less impressive. So what's the point?

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Of course whatever Vince does next won't be as good as the first one, but you guys are crazy if you don't think he'll win it again if he re-enters. The man is far and away the best dunker in the game, and SLAM magazine even said he's the best of all time. He hasn't tried to dunk in games that much this season, doesn't mean he still can't fly. Competitions are still completely different, and I'm POSITIVE that if he was in the dunk contest this year he'd win.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have agree with the fact that if he does come back...it might ruin is reputation as the best dunker. however, not too long ago...i read an article about the slam dunk involving Carter.. and he mentioned that he has many moves that he use to do in highschool/college. and hasnt seen anyone do it yet! i do have a gutty feeling IF he is accepted, he can win.
so far Golden State's Jason Richardson, Boston's Ricky Davis, Denver's Chris Andersen and Indiana's Fred Jones are the participants... and Queen lebron said he might make a suprise entry. well, i hope JR can win again, and hope LJ loses first round!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Budweiser_Boy</b>!
Of course whatever Vince does next won't be as good as the first one, but you guys are crazy if you don't think he'll win it again if he re-enters. The man is far and away the best dunker in the game, and SLAM magazine even said he's the best of all time. He hasn't tried to dunk in games that much this season, doesn't mean he still can't fly. Competitions are still completely different, and I'm POSITIVE that if he was in the dunk contest this year he'd win.
When did I ever say that he wouldn't win?

·
Registered
731 Posts
but...dunker as good as him, don't you think it'll be a waste not to see him again? and I mean ever again in a dunk contest....I have to say this....he's the best dunker in NBA, better than Micheal Jordan......Jordan can jump higher than Carter, but the dunk itself, Carter has way better dunks....

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Vince should enter the dunk contest, because that would put a lot of pressure on Richardson. But he's obviously not, and it would make this year's group of dunkers the worst ever.
How can Vince lose his reputation as a great dunker by perhaps performing crappier than before? That is just a dumb theory.

·
Registered
745 Posts
How can Vince lose his reputation as a great dunker by perhaps performing crappier than before? That is just a dumb theory.
:upset:

If Vince comes back and loses, and say Richardson wins. Everyone will now say that Richardson is the best dunker not Vince, therefore ruining Vince's reputation.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DAllatt</b>!

When did I ever say that he wouldn't win?
You came up with the Jordan comparison, Jordan riding out with his 6th championship in the first place, but then coming back and going out on the crappy Wizards. What you're saying is that if Vince enters again, he's not gonna win.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Ugh, this year's dunk contest will be no contest.

Richardson will win easily. I'm not sure if I even want to watch.:no:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Budweiser_Boy</b>!
What you're saying is that if Vince enters again, he's not gonna win.
Don't put words in my mouth. All I mean by that is I wish I was only able to remember Jordan as a Winner...when he was on top, at his best. I think there is a great deal of class in knowing when to bow out. If there is any chance of vince losing :eek:, or not being able to match his own performance he should avoid it. I think he would hurt his rep in this league.

I like vince, I like that he is a big star in the NBA. It helps the raptors as a franchise. But part of the reason he's so popular is his performance at that dunk competition. He would decrease his value in this league if he didn't match that or, heaven forbid:eek:, lost. Why take that chance? If vince isn't on the cover of video games, magazines and in shoe comercials the toronto raptors aren't as appealing to the fans and Players in the NBA. Both very important to Raptors success in the future.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
OT: Lebron might go to Dunk Contest

MERGED

LeBron James plans to watch the NBA's dunk contest -- for now.

James was not among the four players the league announced Tuesday will take part in the event during All-Star weekend in Los Angeles. But the Cleveland Cavaliers' star rookie has been hinting at a possible surprise appearance.

Citing a sprained right ankle that sidelined him for three games, James recently turned down the NBA's invitation to be in the dunk contest. James could reconsider, however.

"I don't know," he said. "I'll think about it. There are a lot of people who want me to do it."

If James does decide to participate, the league would probably welcome him.

Read more...

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Now that's a first, walk-in contestant... kinda crazy idea, but I like it, the NBA needs something like that
It'd almost be like a TV drama if Davis wins the thing, then Lebron challenges to go one-on-one with him and takes his title, haha...
and that's pretty crazy that he's able to out-dunk Kedrick Brown, I heard he's got some sick hops himself

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Slasher, I don't know why you insist on making so many off-topic threads. You easily could've concealed this article in the dunk contest thread that we already have going. LeBron maybe entering the contest has zero to do with the Raps, Toronto, Canada, or much else that could fit on this board.

I'm going to keep saying it over and over: posters, if you're reading this, don't squat here on the Raptors board. Please, explore the site. There are hundreds of great posters out there, spread around the forums. Talk to them, discuss what's going on with other teams, throw your crazy opinions out there and see if anyone feels the same way you do. Don't be content to post in the confines of our nice little Raptors board. The site needs you great posters to reach out to the other boards, especially the team boards. Take advantage of this site's diverse goodness!

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Damian Necronamous</b>!
Ugh, this year's dunk contest will be no contest.

Richardson will win easily. I'm not sure if I even want to watch.:no:
I dunno, I think JR's running out of fresh ideas for dunks... and fact is he's a straight-vertical dunker, he can't do anything like foul-line dunks.
I think Fred Jones should give him a run for his money. And is Bron Bron decides to crash, it should be interesting to watch.

Oh and to add to my drama from my previous post: After Lebron wins the contest from Davis, he publicly challenges Vince to a showdown for the title of the best dunker in the league. Vince accepts (ala a Dr. Funk entrance) and pulls of a 360 btw the legs to blow everyone away :yes:

·
Registered
605 Posts
it's the year of the 540 dunk, i can feeeeel it

and iuno why ppl dont htink ricky davis will win
he had one of the best dunks in the 2000 contest....baseline running, between the legs reverse 2 handed :wow: :eek:

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MadFishX</b>!
it's the year of the 540 dunk, i can feeeeel it

and iuno why ppl dont htink ricky davis will win
he had one of the best dunks in the 2000 contest....baseline running, between the legs reverse 2 handed :wow: :eek:
It seems like you and I are the only ones who remember that dunk. No one seemed to care becsause all the attention was on Vince.

I'll tell you why Vince would not enter another contest. HE CANNOT WIN ANOTHER ONE. He already ran out of ideas before the 2000 competition was over. Jason Richardson can beat Vince....and maybe LeBron can too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Its like Jordan comming back and playing for the wizards. I just wanted to remember him taking that game winning shot at the top of the key to win the NBA championship...instead I remember him as slightly overweight and arrogant on a horrible team. I love that Vince know's not to go back...it would only ruin everyone's perception of that. Besides I like the idea of it being a showcase for younger talent.

Good for vince for knowing when to walk away.
IT SHOULD B A PRIORITY 4 VINCE TO STEP UP TO THE DUNK CONTEST...

he's been voted to the all-star games based on his dunking ability...

the voters have been voting him in as a crowd would b cheering the performer on for an ENCORE...

don't walk away....give us an encore u *******!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts