Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Which sports radio station do you like most?

• WSCR 670 "The Score"

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • WMVP ESPN 1000

Votes: 5 33.3%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Sports Radio Station do you guys like best? WSCR 670 or WMVP ESPN 1000? I like and listen to ESPN 1000 the most mostly due to the game coverage of the Sox and Bulls. I also really like the McNeil, Jurko, and Harry show. I like J Hood on WSCR though.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
I vote, AM 820 and 1160 -- The Score before it became corporate!

Those were the days. Heavy Fuel Crew declaring open-season on the callers. Les Grobstein's photographic memory. Even North and Giggets had something going. Johnathon Hood has never been as funny as he was as producer with Bernstein/Boers or when he was paired with Lawrence Holmes. Even the commercials were a riot back in the day.

I remember when the station switched to 670 a caller made the comment "This is the beginning of the end. A station this powerful is going to demand corporate vanilla." He was laughed off the air. . . but in the end, he was right.

Those were true highlights for Chicago Radio. You could turn on the station at any hour and there was someone local, edgy, and hardcore. They killed ESPN. Alas, I'm making myself sad.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I still gotta go with the Score, although I echo SST's sentiment.

Still like BandB. I like Mike Murphy back on in the evenings... suits him better. I know a lot of people hate that guy, but I enjoy his show for whatever reason. North's show blows... but MikeandMike isn't that great. Don't like Dan Patrick's show. Carmen and Silvey are OK... and the afternoon guys are OK but the joke gets old fast.

Neither of the stations are great. The Score used to be. Score by a nose.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
I used to listen to the Score all the time...

But I don't really care for some of the programming decisions they made.

I started listening regularly when North had his own show during the afternoon and Jiggets and Buffone followed. I didn't mind the switch when Buffone teamed up with North (though I hated what they did to Jiggets). But North's morning show now is absolutely terrible. He talks too much politics, and it drives me crazy because he really has no idea what he's talking about (moreso even than when he talks sports).

I've never been a fan of J. Hood, so I don't care for the Rick Telander show much.

Mike Murphy gets on my nerves to no end. His voice is TERRIBLY annoying and his segments are mind-boggingly lame.

I love Boers and Bernstein, but since the Score doesn't stream on the internet (inexcusable) I can't listen at work.

The best hour in sports radio used to be the 11:00 to 12:00 hour on Boers and Bernstein when they did Second Hand News at 11:00 and High Noon at 12:00. Now they've juggled it around a little bit and change High Noon to the Second Half. But that show is still great, and I try to catch it whenever I can.

I can't stand ESPN 1000. Mac, Jurko, and Harry are absolutely terrible IMO. The only good thing about their show is "Monday Night John,"--which may be the funniest thing on sports radio--when they interview a John Madden impersonator every monday night before Monday Night Football.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
I usually switch back and forth, depending on what segment on each show interests me more.

I generally like AM670 for their basketball coverge and AM1000 for their baseball.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Rhyder said:
I usually switch back and forth, depending on what segment on each show interests me more.

I generally like AM670 for their basketball coverge and AM1000 for their baseball.
yep. except Mike Murphy he talks tons of baseball, mostly Cubs. Even in the December.

I like Telander's show because they talk a lot of hoops. The Score moved Jonathan Hood to weekeends and put in Mike Mulligan with Telander and Buffone. Probably since JHood complained about his situation.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
spongyfungy said:
yep. except Mike Murphy he talks tons of baseball, mostly Cubs. Even in the December.

I like Telander's show because they talk a lot of hoops. The Score moved Jonathan Hood to weekeends and put in Mike Mulligan with Telander and Buffone. Probably since JHood complained about his situation.
Oh really? I might have to give another listen now. I think Mike Mulligan is one of the best guys on the Score, so its nice to see they gave him a permanent job.

Another guy that I really like is Brian Hanley. I always thought Hanley and Mulligan were as good or better than anyone else on the station (besides Boers and Bernstein).

Why was J Hood complaining? I thought he was lucky to be in that situation. Isn't this a demotion for him?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I prefer the Score by the slimmest of margins. I like Boers and Bernstein and J Hood. I Wish they would hire Mulligan on a fulltime basis. On Espn, I like McNeil, can't stand his partners. The afternoon guys on 1000 bring nothing during basketball season. I do like the morning guys (Silverman and DeFalco). Don't have any interest in their national broadcasts, especially Rome or Patrick.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
J Hood didn't think it was cool that when Telander joined, it became the Rick Telander show with Buffone and Hood. He also thought they didn't need an extra guy. Rick, though, has many news friends and brings in a ton of guests from around the country. I like his perspectives and all but he doesn't have the radio savvy of Hood.

“The Rick Telander Show” on WSCR 670-AM completes a major trade next week, swapping in Michael Mulligan for J. Hood.

That was no surprise. If you read between the lines of the Score’s new program director, Mitch Rosen, a couple of weeks ago, change was in the air.

“Obviously, it’s something we work hard on every day,” Rosen said of the afternoon show. “Our intention today is to keep it together … to make it work.”

Rosen probably talked to Mulligan about it the next day.

First things first. Mulligan is a terrific addition. He has a natural ebullience that comes across on TV as well as radio, and he knows his stuff, especially about football, basketball and, yes, soccer. And that’s with me trying to temper my compliments because he’s an old chum.

However, I’m not sure he’s good for what ails Telander’s show, which is that, for all its intelligence and good intentions as thoughtful and thought-provoking sports talk, it’s simply flat as radio, especially compared with what Dan McNeil, John Jurkovic and Harry Teinowitz are doing in the same basic time slot at competing all-sports WMVP 1000-AM. It’s hard to see how removing the one guy most adept at radio as a medium — and especially the production aspects — is addition by subtraction.

Hood, who apprenticed as producer for Dan Bernstein and Terry Boers and made an increasing impression until he went off on his own as an on-air talent, was capable of brilliant radio, such as his death-row interview with the Bartman ball shortly before it was executed at Harry Caray’s. That sort of humor seemed lost on Telander, however, who appeared to regard the bit with a baffled amusement when it was replayed not long ago on his show.

Hood has studied radio and how it works. My guess is he was the one responsible for little details like the “Here’s George Jetson” chimes for first-time callers. But now he’s exiled to weekends. Mully, by contrast, is a radio natural who can make a show seem fresh with his mere laughter. Chemistry is an odd thing, and it could be he frees up Telander and Doug Buffone, who return from vacation next week.

Yet, there are outside influences that might hinder that. They had better get their game on and do it fast, or McNeil will bury them.
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/beatwriters.asp?column=cox

I like all the news guys (except Marriotti) Telander, Rosenbloom, Mulligan, Hanley, even that old fart Baum.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Thanks for the links spongy.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
spongyfungy said:
J Hood didn't think it was cool that when Telander joined, it became the Rick Telander show with Buffone and Hood. He also thought they didn't need an extra guy. Rick, though, has many news friends and brings in a ton of guests from around the country. I like his perspectives and all but he doesn't have the radio savvy of Hood.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/beatwriters.asp?column=cox

I like all the news guys (except Marriotti) Telander, Rosenbloom, Mulligan, Hanley, even that old fart Baum.
Yah, I like Rosenbloom and Baum together. He's just a pro.

I've always liked Telendar from the old Sportswriters on TV show, and the radio show. Heaven is a Playground is a good sports book as well, IMO. The show is kind of dry though.... Mully will be a better 2nd man than Jay was.... Hood needs to run his own show IMO, and Telendar is just a bigger name then he is right now.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
I can read sports babble all day and am not shy about posting babble (you may have noticed). But for reasons I can't explain, I can't stand listening to it. Other than game play by play if I'm away from a TV, I never listen to sports radio (or any other talk radio). I guess its my bias: if I have a radio in reach, I want music coming out of it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, AM 820 (Sporting News)...I liked that a lot, but they didn't have a strong enough signal or something to stay on at night and thats when I listen most. Catchy tune for the Sporting News Flash....I also liked 1160 much more than the 670. I was listening to Fox Sports Radio when I was out of town last week, and all the guys do on that is just yell and complain. I really didn't like that, but maybe I was expecting too much out of Fox Sports because I strongly dislike Fox Sports Net. Go Bulls!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Mike & Mike in the mornings is the only sports radio I can currently tolerate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts