Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grossman will be listed as the third-string QB in the upcoming game.

Because the Bears have a decent lead in the NFC North, and there's still six weeks left in the regular season, should we be looking to slowly ease Rex back into a starting role, or should we ride Kyle all the way to the end of the playoff run, wherever that might take place?

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Showtyme said:
Grossman will be listed as the third-string QB in the upcoming game.

Because the Bears have a decent lead in the NFC North, and there's still six weeks left in the regular season, should we be looking to slowly ease Rex back into a starting role, or should we ride Kyle all the way to the end of the playoff run, wherever that might take place?
I'd ride Orton until he is playing poorly in a game, in which I would use the opportunity to get Grossman some reps. This season is Orton's to win or lose (including the playoffs) although I expect his leash to be much shorter with Grossman as an option.

I definately would expect a training camp battle come next season unless Orton takes his game to a new level the remainder of the season.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Rhyder said:
I'd ride Orton until he is playing poorly in a game, in which I would use the opportunity to get Grossman some reps. This season is Orton's to win or lose (including the playoffs) although I expect his leash to be much shorter with Grossman as an option.

I definately would expect a training camp battle come next season unless Orton takes his game to a new level the remainder of the season.

I agree... ride Orton until he lays an egg... but I think Grossman is head and shoulders above Orton in terms of being the better quarterback... you don't change a thing right now though... 6 game winning streak... playoffs.. wow

·
Registered
659 Posts
Unless Orton has another Cincinnatti sort of game I don't think we'll see Grossman. It would be amazing if Orton could elevate his game some and quash any QB controversy before it starts. I thought he looked really sharp against Carolina and he always seems confident. Dropped passes probably cost him 50+yards and a TD last week, not to mention he would have been about 20/26 if I remember correctly.

I guess the fans'll just have to trust Lovie & Co. to make the right call. SO long as they keep winning who can complain?

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I hope we beat up greenbay twice... if we lose our season to the vikings because of greenbay I don't know if I could handle it

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Go with Kyle Orton, no doubt about it. In the short stints we've seen Grossman, he never looked as confident or aggressive as Orton does. Grossman will make a fine back-up, so keep him around. But Orton is the better talent and is having a solid season for a rookie QB. I think he has 8 TD passes and 11 picks, but if you throw out the Cincy game (which was early in the year before we hit stride), those numbers go down to 8 TD's and 6 picks. He's not making many mistakes and he's giving the defense enough field position to work with. That's all we need right now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
At this point Orton has more game experience than Grossman does, remember Grossman has only played in six professional games so far, so keep Orton till the end of this year.

·
Registered
458 Posts
yodurk said:
Go with Kyle Orton, no doubt about it. In the short stints we've seen Grossman, he never looked as confident or aggressive as Orton does. Grossman will make a fine back-up, so keep him around. But Orton is the better talent and is having a solid season for a rookie QB. I think he has 8 TD passes and 11 picks, but if you throw out the Cincy game (which was early in the year before we hit stride), those numbers go down to 8 TD's and 6 picks. He's not making many mistakes and he's giving the defense enough field position to work with. That's all we need right now.
Grossman looked plenty confiendent to me while throwing to the worst WR's in the NFL, and without a safety valve TE (Leonard Pope TE Georgia, you here me Angelo?). Orton has no accuracy on any ball thrown beyond ten yards and is not a smart QB. He went in the fourth round because he is a freaking dunce, not to mention an alcoholic. Grossman will take the job next fall. The Bears win with a strong run blocking O-Line, and the best defense in the league. Orton gives us nothing...

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean, does anyone remember the hype, the so-called "chemistry" between Moose and Rex, etc etc? Rex has a lot of the raw similar skills as Orton, but Grossman was considered a smart QB and was supposed to have a huge season this year.

Then again, Grossman hasn't actually shown us anything in an actual game yet, while Orton has. But then again, Orton has a different team around him and we don't know what Rex might do.

We may have one bird in hand, but there may be two in the bush. Is it really better?

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Orton is the lowest (or just about) rated starting passer in the NFL. I want Grossman. I would use a bad game by Orton to make the switch.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Darius Miles Davis said:
Man, what ever happened to those big Gordon fourth quarters? We really need one tonight.
I completely agree. I like Michelle Wie off the tee, but she has to work on her short game.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Darius Miles Davis said:
Whoops, my post wound up in the wrong thread. Doh!

BTW, is it unethical to talk about how cute Michelle Wie is? :banana:

No, it isn't. That will be one attractive grownup one day.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Darius Miles Davis said:
Whoops, my post wound up in the wrong thread. Doh!

BTW, is it unethical to talk about how cute Michelle Wie is? :banana:
no, she's a hottie. [sirens in background]

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Kind of late to the party on this thread but...

I think you have to go with Orton. My hunch, from watching the two, is that Grossman is the more gifted of the two quarterbacks - a little more instinctive and able to make something out of nothing. But Orton is playing fine right now, and the team is winning. Grossman w/ limited mobility and a fair amount of rust is probably not a better option. Orton has a tendency to spray the ball a little, but he's got a strong arm and makes good decisions.

Go with Orton and figure it out in training camp next year. Neither of these guys is a sure bet to be a productive starter in the NFL long term, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if both turned out to be, and I would be shocked if at least one didn't. Nice problem to have.

(If Jerry Angelo trades one of them before we figure out for sure who the guy is long term he's an idiot)

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I remember back in 2001 when Bledsoe got hurt and Brady came in and the Pats went 5-3 in Drew's absence to get to 5-5 on the season.

Despite the fact that (at the time) Drew > Brady by a hell of a lot more than Rex > Orton, Belichick stuck with Brady, and the rest is history.

It's not about stats, it's not about who throws the prettier ball, it's not about who has the better pedigree, it's not about who was the higher draft pick, it's not about who makes more money... it's all about the wins, and you can't beat how Orton has controlled the offense and limited his TOs so that the Bears defense can win games.

I think someone else mentioned, but hasn't Rex only started like 6 games as a pro? It's not like he has ever proven anything, except that he can get injured.

Orton will really have to suck for Lovie to replace him as the starter. I could see Rex getting some game action if Orton has another Cincy game, but IMHO Orton would still be the starter the next week.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Was in the Orton camp, but the offense is so anemic that the Bears simply can't rely on stewardship to coninue to win games.

Grossman in the few games he played brought a certain energy to the offense that Orton doesn't. Sort of reminded me of the difference betw. McMahon and Fuller.

Think how much better the defense would be if opposing teams were two touchdowns down and had fewer offensive options and less time on the field.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ztect said:
Was in the Orton camp, but the offense is so anemic that the Bears simply can't rely on stewardship to coninue to win games.

Grossman in the few games he played brought a certain energy to the offense that Orton doesn't. Sort of reminded me of the difference betw. McMahon and Fuller.

Think how much better the defense would be if opposing teams were two touchdowns down and had fewer offensive options and less time on the field.
I think this is key. The Bears are winning with solid defense and just barely enough offense to squeak by. The Colts, this season, are showing us that a strong offense WITH a strong defense becomes an impenetrable force that will have winning margins of 18+ points, not 3-8 points.

We could be winning games 24 to 10 instead of 13 to 10, regularly. There's absolutely no reason why our guys couldn't do what they do on offense if we have a ball-control offense that can get a little bit more done and get into the end zone a bit more.

One thing watching Orton: doesn't he seem like a blend of Shane Matthews (toughness, very solid) and Jim Miller (great arm strength, good accuracy, strong but not super athletic or mobile)? Orton has more energy and can do a little bit more, but for now he's being asked to be a glorified Shane Matthews. Is this really okay? Are more star wideouts a need to be addressed in the offseason, or can Muhammed, Bradley and Wade have the jobs for next season?

In any event, defense has won championships in the past. But it's a dominant defense along with an explosive offense that looks somewhat invincible right now in Indiana. And with our already dominant defense, we should be looking at what might build up our offense the most.

I agree with the tenuous chemistry of the football offense, somewhat, yet I see so many backups walk into a starting role without a ton of reps (or any) and succeed. Rex is more than just some clueless backup; he's the guy that they spend months working with in camp. I think he could jump in there if they wanted him to, in a few weeks at least.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I thought at the beginning of the year that Orton had a lot more to offer than Grossman: he's considerably bigger, has a much stronger arm, and seems more durable. However, our lack of sustained drives is simply embarassing. I guess you can't take Kyle out of there after winning 7 in a row, but really he's been quite bad.

We're the worst good team in the league. Our offense is just crap except for the relative consistency of the run game. However, this defense is the best since the mid 80's. Our 2001 defense did it with smoke and mirrors. That team didn't have a pass rush, and this one does. They're now solid on the line, at linebacker, and in the secondary. Wow, is it working.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts