Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is a link to this topic someplace please let me know and I will go there...don't see one

We are chomping at the bit to buy a gaming system. After talking to sales people and reading reviews it seems that these 2 systems are fairly equal overall.

I would like to know what some of you here think.

What we want to be able to do is:

1. On the NBA games-use players from different seasons (dif games) (have heard this is possible?)
2. Be able to save game where we leave off.
3. Good graphics and sound.
4. No need for DVD player use (hear it wears it out anyway).
5.Comfortable controllers (best for hours of play) :)

That is about it. From what I have heard-all of this is possible with either system depending on what extras you buy.

We want to buy the fewest extras.

So-it seems to boil down to preference....which one is your favorite?

oh yeah...I guess PS2 had WAY more games to pick from...we are mostly interested in NBA and racing....don't like all the "kill'em" games out there...so probably not an issue. ??

The jury is still out on needing the ability to hook up more than 2 players....

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Also: Heard rumors that both PS2 and XBox are going to upgrade in 2005. The upgrade will render PS2 "mute" and the XBox upgrade is supposed to be compatable with the old XBox...anyone hear anything on this?

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I don't have an XBox, but I've played and seen enough of it to help with a few of the points.

Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
2. Be able to save game where we leave off.
3. Good graphics and sound.
5.Comfortable controllers (best for hours of play) :)
2. This is completely dependent on the game, so the system doesn't effect thing. However, the XBox comes with a built in hard drive for saving games, where as with the PS2 you must purchase a memory card in addition to the system. I believe it costs around $25. The XBox hard drive is nicer for a few reasons. It has virtually unlimited storage space (though PS2 memory card should have more than enough for all but the most hardcore gamer), it is slightly faster with saving/loading, and it can give you a few extra options in games that other systems don't have. For example, many racing games have a soundtrack that is built into it that plays while you race. With the XBox hard drive, you usually are able to upload your own songs from CDs and have them play during the game instead of what the game plays. You can't do this in every game, but you still can in many; with the PS2, this isn't ever an option.

3. XBox pretty much always beats out PS2 in both graphics and sound. It's a newer system, so that makes sense. Usually textures look smoother on it. Both aren't really <i>that</i> different, unless you have a top of the line home theater setup, in which case the XBox is better all around.

4. This is mostly opinion, but I think the PS2 has easily the best controller in the business. There's nothing particular that I can think of that sets it apart, but it just feels the best and is the easiest to use. However, with pretty much any system out there, you'll get used to the controller very quickly.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
PS3 is set to come out yes in 2005 I would wait for it. The graphical capability will be on par the the computer generated animation from the recent Star Wars movies.

I would imagine that the Ps2 games will be able to be played on PS3, but backward compatibility shouldn't be a selling point with the quality of the new stuff available.

This website does have a forum for Video Games I wouldcheck there and see what people say.

X-Box slightly better graphics.
PS2 better software developer support and more exclusive games.

My personal recommendation is Sony but If you asked around the results would be about 50-50.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
I would definitely go with the PS2. The Controller is much better for one, and the game selection is better as well. X-Box's controller is just horrible. Just horrible!

Also, the DVD player is a good deal too. You'll use it sooner or later, trust me.

That and the fact you can play all of the old PS1 games on your PS2 makes it even that much more worth it.

Although I still would rather play my old original Nintendo or my Super Nintendo over any newer system!

On my Super Nintendo I still have "The Bulls Vs. The Blazers and the 1992 NBA Playoffs." That game is classic.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input...I did find a gaming thread of sorts...
(if someone wants to move this thread there that is fine with me...fantasy games and gaming...)

one thing that seems to be a sell for XBox is disconnecting controllers-if you trip ont he cord your system stays on the shelf and not slammed to the floor. LOL-I could see where that is handy. On the other hand-some complained that they came out too easily?

There is talk of upgrading the HD on the XBox to where you can save entire games and it also stops "freezing" that seems to be an XBox issue.

The upgrades have me weary...yet WE WANT TO PLAY NOW!
I also can see where the PS3 would be very tempting!

man-it's like buying a computer or a car...as soon as you do, there is another one that is better! ARGH!

·
Registered
9,192 Posts

man-it's like buying a computer or a car...as soon as you do, there is another one that is better! ARGH!
I don't think this is true, at least when it comes to cars... Maybe new ones... I still have yet to run across another car that can do this many miles on one engine:

Heh heh heh...

Anyway, in all seriousness, you might actually consider buying a good computer system. Computer gaming is vastly superior to game council gaming.

If cost is a concern, why don't you get a used PS2 from some place like Electronics Boutique? It's quite a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
there is an available wireless controller for the play station 2 that my wife loves (I don't do much console gaming myself). she loves the thing, and I like not seeing that damned cord all over my floor when she's not playing. (the controller has set up permanent residence next to our dozen remote controls.)

it may look a little pathetic to visitors, but we actually keep two tv's in our living room. I watch the Blazers lose on the big one while she destroys aliens with Rachet and Clank on the smaller one. that way we get our couch potatoing done at the same time. also, when Damon does something really stupid I can watch her game for a while and clear my mind.

I understand that it used to be that the game Halo was the main reasson to get X-Box, but even that is now on PS2.

myself, I dig PC games. more control, better graphics, better game play.

out of curiosity, what games do you all play?

my favs:

Starcraft-- die zerg die

Max Payne-- bullet time and cornball dialogue! woo hoo!

Half Life- forget about freeman

Dungeon Seige--nerdy D&D junior high revisited

Medal of Honor--kill the krauts and learn a little history

Alice--astounding graphics for an old game

Age of Empires--for control freaks only

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>HearToTemptYou</b>!

Anyway, in all seriousness, you might actually consider buying a good computer system. Computer gaming is vastly superior to game council gaming.

If cost is a concern, why don't you get a used PS2 from some place like Electronics Boutique? It's quite a bit cheaper.
a computer is a great idea and a very valid oprion...BUT...when there are gamers in the house and I want to be here or anywhere else on the computer...well-quite simply-the gamers will win :(

We are really wanting to play them on the TV and utilize our surround etc....

We have considered a used system...of either type.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
BTW I just was checking into things a little, if you an hold out till the ps3 comes out. If not later this year a item called the PSX will be available from Sony. It is a unit that mixes a digital TV recorder and a PS2 into one unit.

Sony PSX

It's not available in the US yet ,but will be sometime this year. It has a huge built in Hardrive and also has the online Network adapter built in.

My guess is that it is very pricey, but if you don't have a [email protected] or Tivo and want it then there ya go.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Go with an XBOX, my friend has one, and he put a Harddrive in his with 200 Gigabytes I think is what he said, his brother is a computer technician and works for BestBuy so he got it for cheap. Anyways he has over 100 movies 2500 songs and 50 games on his hardrive and is 30% full. Alot of people have done it, you just have to find the right site or a computer store and they will likely do it custom for you. And I just got my XBOX last week and you get used to the controls.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have owned all of the systems, plus my pretty hopped up computer. XBOX is the only way to go. All of the new games are across all of the platforms now, and it really boils down to graphics. XBOX kills the PS2 in the graphics department. Gamecube is okay, but developers are dropping their support for this system.

XBOX has the best online gaming, you don't need a memory card, has digital 5.1 sound, and you can make custom soundtracks on many of the new games. Sure PS2 has a bigger library of games, but alot of the games are knockoff Japanese games, or games that should be on the PS1.

For the money, XBOX is the best buy!

·
Registered
16,001 Posts

OH NO! We just decided to get Tivo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

curses!!!!!!!!!
You will NEVER regret getting TiVo.

On the gaming front: I have an X-Box, after working on some Microsoft XSN Sports stuff I finally decided to take the plunge and get it. I don't have, and have barely played, the PS2, so I can't compare the experiences. I've played the Game Cube and really prefer the X-Box.

My wife and I have been playing Lord of the Rings: Return of the King together on X-Box... it's not a great game, but kinda a modern-day Gauntlet, and it's fun. I also really like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on X-Box, and I've played a LOT of NCAA Football 2003. I also own NBA Live 2003 (or 2004... I can't remember which the newest one of it and NCAA Football are) and I am not so nuts about it. It's OK, but no online play gives it a limited shelf life.

I actually don't spend that much time playing console games. I am a pretty big computer gamer, and some of the recent games I've played a lot of include:

-- Inside the Park Baseball (a tangential RPG using the awesome Outside the Park 5 engine, which has eaten up more of my time than I'd care to admit)
-- Age of Mythology (lots of fun; Age of Empires with myth units)
-- Tropico 2 (a pirate city sim which is a lot of fun)

As you might see, I really enjoy micromanagement games that have lots of rules and which take up a lot of my time. It's not accidental that I have 4500 posts on this board, I guess :)

Ed O.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

You will NEVER regret getting TiVo.
I have to agree. I do find TiVo frustrating, though, at least when it comes to NFL games -- whenever the games go longer than expected (with or without overtime), TiVo fails to grab the end. One way around that is to have it record beyond what it's gonna "think" the end is but, it really seems like that shouldn't be necessary to me.

Gratefully, I've not had that issue with basketball games, though that might be dumb luck -- the b-ball games are a higher priority for me so most of the time I've started watching before the game is over.

Any thoughts on my recording issue, fellow TiVo users?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PorterIn2004</b>!

Any thoughts on my recording issue, fellow TiVo users?
Definitely a problem. With sports and some shows (like HBO programming) the standard TV schedule isn't really that relevant, so the scheduling data that the TiVo gets isn't reliable. I just make sure to TiVo an extra half hour or so for games and 5 minutes for Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Ed O.

·
Registered
519 Posts
MY vote is for PS2..i have one and i think it is great..but now i might have to get the PS3...more $$$$ to spend that i don't have....LOL

·
Registered
300 Posts
On the Tivo front: I always give each game 3 hours, even though they often finish in 2 1/4, but you never know when an OT nailbiter's comin', so it's good to give it an extra half hour. It's best to manually schedule and record NBA games.

btw, HD Tivo's w/DirecTV are coming out soon. Bliss

Gaming: I bought an XBox for Christmas, and I've never owned a gaming console before. I asked a number of friends and they all seemed to like it the most. You get the options, plus you can even game in HD if you have one of those sets.

I like it so far, but I really don't play it that much. It does more time as a DVD machine than for gaming. It was actually what my wife wanted for Christmas, so of course I obliged.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
I don't like being tied down to a TV, so I prefer portable gaming. The GameBoy Advance SP is a pretty magnificent device.

Combined with an iPod, that's a hefty amount of entertainment potential that takes up only pocket space. Handy when stuck somewhere, waiting for 15-30 min (or more).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts