Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to thank everyone (even Target) for a great discussion yesterday. The conversation really got me thinking and pondering my own beliefs, which I haven't done in a while. So, it was nice to have a refresher - sometimes I'll stray away from things and forget all about what I believe my purpose is.

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone for keeping it civil. It reminded me of the days when we were a much closer-knit community and we didn't snap each other's heads off at the drop of a dime. Perhaps we're mired in the losing and just don't have the energy, or maybe we're getting back to basics and the chaff has weeded itself out. Who knows? But, thanks.

Finally, I saw a movie last night that explains a lot of what I believe. It does a better job at presenting a layman's analysis of modern physic's properties behind what I espouse. It shows the slow ocnvergence of science and the realm of spirituality and eastern thought. It isn't a great movie, but it is a very good documentary.

The movie is named: "What The BLEEP Do We Know?" (yes, BLEEP is part of the title)

It delves into Quantum Physics, Nuerophysiology, Sprituality, God, Religion, etc and so forth.

Good stuff.

Anyhow, thanks again for the conversation. It was really good stuff.

Play.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NateBishop3 said:
Where can one see that movie?
I'm sure Blockbuster has copies, or if you want to own it - BestBuy or the like.

It just came out on DVD, so it is a relatively new film.

Play.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Ok, I wasn't sure if you had seen it in a theater or video. That answers my questions.

Another good movie, have you seen The Fog of War?

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I've been told by a couple other people to watch "What The BLEEP Do We Know". I'm going to have to check it out.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Yes they do have that movie at Blockbuster.

When I was on my trip to Hong Kong one of the members of the group I was travellin with is a Philosophy Proffesor at Willamette University. During one of our many great meals of Dim Sum the movie came up in discussion, and he had some brief but interesting things to say.

First off he acknowledged that the film should be viewed as Philosophy and nothing else.He thought the movie was good, not great. He said he wouldn't put a lot of stock into it, but it was a tremendous thought provoker.

I saw it on the shelves at BLockbuster, and was intrigued by it since a handful of people (the only ones I could communicate with for a week) had seen it and said it definately is worth checking out.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Fog of War is a documentary about World War II and the Vietnam war through the eyes of former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara. It's really fascinating hearing about what went on behind the scenes during the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Another good thing about 'What the Bleep do we know?' is that it was filmed in Portland.

I saw it at the Bagdad theater, where part of the film was made, which made it even more interesting.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Schilly said:
First off he acknowledged that the film should be viewed as Philosophy and nothing else.
I agree. It is definitely more philosophy than science. The movie doesn't delve enough into the scientific principles, but they are there. It is the basic foundations upon which a layperson can build or reject as they see fit.

It gives the overview - it is up to the individual to pursue the next level.

If you are interested in that stuff - Read "The Tao Of Physics".

It explains in more indepth terminology and expression the scientific principles espoused in the film.

I definitely recommend the movie for anyone that is interested in spirituality and thinks that they aren't satisfied with what is being offered by contemporary religion.

Play.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
I wanted to thank everyone (even Target) for a great discussion yesterday. The conversation really got me thinking and pondering my own beliefs, which I haven't done in a while........Play.
God bless you, too.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I saw this thread and it compelled me to go look on the other board to read the entire original one. it was a far more interesting discussion than debating whether we should care if the Jazz beat Portland or not.

people were generally civil, and those who weren't didn't really get out of control. didn't seem like anybody's feelings were hurt. didn't seem like moderators were being overly taxed in keeping things clean either.

it's a real shame it got moved to where it did, where it promptly died. it just makes this board seem sterile. (can I still even say that around here? if my post gets this thread locked/moved as well, Play, I apologize.) :(

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
theWanker said:
I saw this thread and it compelled me to go look on the other board to read the entire original one. it was a far more interesting discussion than debating whether we should care if the Jazz beat Portland or not.
I agree - and it was one of the first CIVIL discussions in a long time.

It seemed like we were acting more like our old community. We went pages without one serious insult. There were jabs, but nothing solid, nothing that really jumped out.

I thought it was more binding then it was separating.

it's a real shame it got moved to where it did, where it promptly died. it just makes this board seem sterile.
I agree, too.

Basketball season is near completed. Nothing interesting is happening. I think we might want to reexamine the ability for us to talk about secular and religious and political things again. Only the DIEHARDS will still be here... the people that really are the community.

if my post gets this thread locked/moved as well, Play, I apologize.
S'alright.

Play.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
theWanker said:

people were generally civil, and those who weren't didn't really get out of control. didn't seem like anybody's feelings were hurt. didn't seem like moderators were being overly taxed in keeping things clean either.

it's a real shame it got moved to where it did, where it promptly died. it just makes this board seem sterile. (can I still even say that around here? if my post gets this thread locked/moved as well, Play, I apologize.) :(
Whats a shame is that people for some reason are stating to think that Off topic threads are the only redeaming value of a board created for and in place for Blazers fans to discuss the Blazers.

I guess since it's the only thing worth talking about I can move it back, but let's not make a habit of such types of threads, I think we all remember how the political threads actually jeaopordized the relations on our board, except to the 4 or 5 that thrive on controversy.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I agree that What the BLEEP is a thought-provoking movie, and I think it is very well-made.

However, I think people would think differently of it if the ending (with the introductions of the speakers) was at the start. One of the main speakers in the movie is a woman who is channeling a 35000 year-old Cromagnon warrior called Ramtha (try a Google search). The filmmakers are all members of her cult, and the money to produce this film came from others that are followers of this channeler.

That said, there are some great conversations about life in this film, and the "quantum mechanics in layman's terms" parts are very well done. The title is maybe a bit misleading- the filmmakers' point is that what we know about life and thought and time and religion is really just a maybe, but they do present their opinion as "we think this is true" and not "this is just as likely as anything else." IMO.

I would agree that it is a good movie to watch, but the motives of the filmmakers should be considered- this is a documentary that is not about facts, but about possibilities.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sorta OT

Backboard Cam's post reminded me of something I wanted to find more about... There were two ladys at my school recently who sold me a book (Dianetics by L. ROn Hubbard) and have been harrasing me into coming to their church/building..whatever it is. They wan't to talk to me and discuss various alternative mental health treatments which is one reason they were selling that book and being in the profession of mental health, I decided to check out the book.

They state it's just to talk but I am begining to wonder if there is not some other hidden agenda. The office they invited me to is over in Sellwood on SE 13th and they are called Mission of Portland.

Just seems fishy to me. Anyone know anything about this particular movement or otherwise similar experience?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Re: Sorta OT

RoseCity said:
Backboard Cam's post reminded me of something I wanted to find more about... There were two ladys at my school recently who sold me a book (Dianetics by L. ROn Hubbard) and have been harrasing me into coming to their church/building..whatever it is. They wan't to talk to me and discuss various alternative mental health treatments which is one reason they were selling that book and being in the profession of mental health, I decided to check out the book.

They state it's just to talk but I am begining to wonder if there is not some other hidden agenda. The office they invited me to is over in Sellwood on SE 13th and they are called Mission of Portland.

Just seems fishy to me. Anyone know anything about this particular movement or otherwise similar experience?
There are many thousands of pages written about Scientology. I would certainly recommend doing some research!

barfo

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Schilly said:
I think we all remember how the political threads actually jeaopordized the relations on our board, except to the 4 or 5 that thrive on controversy.
Now that you mention it, I don't actually recall such a thing happening. I recall various people insisting that it would happen, but in all the years that OT threads on politics, religion, etc have been debated on the Portland board, I don't recall the phenomenon you described ever happening.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts