Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We can devide the 3pt shooters into 3 types:
1st class shooters- consistent shooters who can hit many 3's no matter what. Examples: Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Tracy Mcgrady etc...

2nd Class shooters- good shooters who can be relied upon. Examples: Alston, Fisher, Pierce etc...

3rd Class shooters- More than average shooters who can at least keep the defense honest. Examples: Jamison, Lebron, Artest etc...

Next year, assuming that Cliff will stay, we'll have 1 1st class shooter (Vince), 1 possible 2nd class shooter (Kidd, if he continues to shoot the lights out) and 2 3rd class shooters (Jefferson and Robinson). IMO, it's not too bad but we can get much better. Adding Marshall will give us another 1st class shooter and that's a lot. We can add another GF to backup VC and RJ who can shoot well. This way, we can be a top 3pt shooter, and you all see how important it is nowadays to the offense (no Handcheck).

*I didn't mention Veal (I don't know if he will stay), Planinic (I don't know how much time he will play) or Vaughn (doesn't shoot from outside)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,166 Posts
Thorn has said that the Nets priority is adding depth, particularly a big man and medium size. I have to assume that medium size player will be a shooter who can come off the bench and fill in for Carter and RJ.

Just before the Carter trade, the Nets reportedly offered ATrain to the Cavs for Sasha Pavlovic, a teammate of Krstic's on the Serbian national team. Then just after the Carter trade, the Nets reportedly offered a second round draft choice to the Grizz for Dahntay Jones, the Rutgers/Dukie from Trenton. Both are 6-6/6-7, young and good shooters.

I am a great believer in looking at who Thorn and Stefanski wanted in the past when trying to determine who they will make offers for in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
i'm looking forward to the offseason, itll be interesting to see what the front office wil end up doing. im hoping that we'll get a big body to help fill the pf hole. i'm hoping for someone like a swift, SAR, marshall or even gooden. on draft day im hoping that the nets will look towards getting the best player available on the board if we get a pf through a trade or FA. if not i would like to see them draft in that area. i think that they'll be a lot of talent at the pf/c position that could help beef up the bench and depth of the nets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,278 Posts
J Pops said:
i'm looking forward to the offseason, itll be interesting to see what the front office wil end up doing. im hoping that we'll get a big body to help fill the pf hole. i'm hoping for someone like a swift, SAR, marshall or even gooden. on draft day im hoping that the nets will look towards getting the best player available on the board if we get a pf through a trade or FA. if not i would like to see them draft in that area. i think that they'll be a lot of talent at the pf/c position that could help beef up the bench and depth of the nets.
How do you plan on getting Gooden? I think you would have to trade for him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,166 Posts
comes under the category of lessons learned

But if you look at the reports of Nets desires, you can see that the team wanted:

--Shareef Abdur Rahim who the Nets tried to get in a trade for Kittles;

--Chris Wilcox who the Nets tried to get in a trade for Kittles;

--Sasha Pavlovic who the Nets tried to get in a trade for Aaron Williams;

--Dahntay Jones who the Nets tried to get in a trade for a second round draft choice;

--Donyell Marshall who the Nets wanted but would not give up a first rounder.

--Darius Songaila who they made an offer to last summer just before he resigned with the Kings;

--Eddie Griffin who the Nets still pursued last summer after the KMart trade.

Abdur-Rahim, Marshall, Songaila, and Griffin have been named and are either free agents or in the case of Songaila has a player option. Stromile Swift has not been mentioned, other than once in a laundry list of PF's Nets could go after.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Kunlun said:
How do you plan on getting Gooden? I think you would have to trade for him.
i'd prefer the nets to go after swift, SAR, chandler, curry or marshall mainly because they are FAs or RFAs and that would benefit us the most. however if something does come up, and a deal for gooden comes up that doesnt involved jkidd, vc, rj or kristic i would seriously consider it. he has had his fair share of issues but he is only a sophomore and is averaging close to a double double is 14 and aobut 10. gooden is quick and athletic and also can run the floor on the break and somewhat reminds me of the k mart days in nj.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,278 Posts
J Pops said:
i'd prefer the nets to go after swift, SAR, chandler, curry or marshall mainly because they are FAs or RFAs and that would benefit us the most. however if something does come up, and a deal for gooden comes up that doesnt involved jkidd, vc, rj or kristic i would seriously consider it. he has had his fair share of issues but he is only a sophomore and is averaging close to a double double is 14 and aobut 10. gooden is quick and athletic and also can run the floor on the break and somewhat reminds me of the k mart days in nj.
He's actually been in the league for three years, but I don't see him like Kenyon Martin much. Kenyon is much more athletic and he is a vicious dunker! Drew might have a similar looking post up game as Kenyon though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gooden? I don't want a player who dunks into his own basket.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Petey

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
NetIncome said:
There is a reason why Gooden keeps getting traded...and it has nothing to do with what he does on court.
I think it's worth the risk. Surrounding him with a player like Kidd, to a lesser extent RJ, he could calm down.

-Joe C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe Camel said:
I think it's worth the risk. Surrounding him with a player like Kidd, to a lesser extent RJ, he could calm down.

-Joe C.
Maybe, but how are we going to get him?
Nene is a very good option as well IMO, and he was involved in many trade talks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
X-JAY said:
Maybe, but how are we going to get him?
Nene is a very good option as well IMO, and he was involved in many trade talks.
Gooden and their pick was traded for Battie this past offseason. With that, I'm sure they would have taken an exception and a pick to get rid of him with Howard in town...

That is moot now, we have little to offer the Cavs unless they want to dump him to keep 'Z'.

-Joe C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,196 Posts
according to X-JAY's 3 classes, I'd now put RJ into the 2nd class...he was shooting real well (despite his FG% not being high, it was more of him being the only option)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,128 Posts
NetIncome said:
comes under the category of lessons learned

But if you look at the reports of Nets desires, you can see that the team wanted:

--Shareef Abdur Rahim who the Nets tried to get in a trade for Kittles;

--Chris Wilcox who the Nets tried to get in a trade for Kittles;

--Sasha Pavlovic who the Nets tried to get in a trade for Aaron Williams;

--Dahntay Jones who the Nets tried to get in a trade for a second round draft choice;

--Donyell Marshall who the Nets wanted but would not give up a first rounder.

--Darius Songaila who they made an offer to last summer just before he resigned with the Kings;

--Eddie Griffin who the Nets still pursued last summer after the KMart trade.

Abdur-Rahim, Marshall, Songaila, and Griffin have been named and are either free agents or in the case of Songaila has a player option. Stromile Swift has not been mentioned, other than once in a laundry list of PF's Nets could go after.
A wise newsman once told me that the one thing we could rely on wrt/ Rod Thorn, is that whatever moves he made it would be something no one had heard of and was totally shocking, a la Vince.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,128 Posts
We shoot 3s pretty damn well as is. Depending on who we lose, I don't see us working all that hard to fill this non-void. Big people and a perimeter defender (my interpretation of the medium size NI mentioned earlier) on the bench.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top