Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
easily i think is monia. but why isn't nate playing him more. he was tearing gs up, then is out until the 3rd quarter, and only gets maybe 19 minutes for the game. then the same tonight. 3-3 and 8 points, but only gets like 18 minutes. honestly, the only way to see if this guy will be something is to leave him on the court and see if he can keep up his shooting for the entire game. i mean what do we have to lose? worst case is he misses like 5 shots, then we take him out, but what if he makes another 2 out of 5 and finishes the game with 14 points instead of 8. i'd rather have him shooting from the outside then anybody else we have. Honestly, I'd rather give the ball to blaze then most of our players from outside.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
tradetheo said:
easily i think is monia. but why isn't nate playing him more. he was tearing gs up, then is out until the 3rd quarter, and only gets maybe 19 minutes for the game. then the same tonight. 3-3 and 8 points, but only gets like 18 minutes. honestly, the only way to see if this guy will be something is to leave him on the court and see if he can keep up his shooting for the entire game. i mean what do we have to lose? worst case is he misses like 5 shots, then we take him out, but what if he makes another 2 out of 5 and finishes the game with 14 points instead of 8. i'd rather have him shooting from the outside then anybody else we have. Honestly, I'd rather give the ball to blaze then most of our players from outside.
I didn't get a chance to watch this last game so I can't say much about it specifically. More generally, though, the concern has been that he's been having trouble staying in front of (and/or with) smaller, faster guards. He's guarded even PGs in the Euroleague and, it may well be that the NBA game is enough faster that he's having trouble adjusting.

That said, it's hard for me to believe that he had trouble staying with a SG/SF and aging Eddie Jones.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Given that Monia also brings intangibles and (I think everyone agrees) a superior defense.... I think Sergei is making it increasingly hard for Nate to sit him.

Monia is shooting 52% FGs and 56% for treys. *56% is top-3 in the league*
Dixon is shooting 44% FGs and 40% for treys.

It is early in the season, and there is only a small sample size, but it looks like a sure bet that Monia is the best long range bomber we have. Not only that -- he may end up being a *great* shooter. Like Mark Price or Jeff Hornacek or Drazen Petrovic great (50% for most of career for 2s, >40% for 3s). Those players were not known for their defense, yet coaches simply could not sit them. We'll know by mid-season if Monia's shooting percentage is for real.

iWatas

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
I'd bet that Monia isn't getting the minutes we think he 'deserves' because he's still not entirely ready to get major minutes. Defensively and offensively, he's just not ready for starter minutes.

I do think that he's a better starter than Dixon (size wise and shooting ability) but I understand why Dixon gets more minutes right now. Dixon is a little more "dependable". Probably won't be that way in the end tho.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
STOMP said:
maybe Nate doesn't want to play him much because he thinks he's going to bolt for the CSKA team next year?
:laugh:

I think he'll get more minutes as time goes by. Keep in mind this is his rookie year and he still doesn't have a full grasp of the language (though supposedly getting better). Team defense requires communication, so I think the language barrier is bigger then a lot of people think. Sergei has proven to me that he is worth the effort though. I think Nate's treating it about right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts