Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: This post was originally in reponse to a Marcus Banks related post.

Marcus Banks doesn't have a role on the team. The Celtics' brass feel that Dan Dickau and Orien Green can replace Banks, leaving Marcus with no playing time. He is better off with another team who has minutes to offer.

With Tony Allen last season, you could count on the Celtics second unit's perimeter defense to do well against the opposition. Now, our point guard perimeter defense is beyond awful and opposing point guards are lighting up the Celtics. Dan Dickau is allowing his opposing player to play efficiently and while he is on the court, the Celtics give up more points than they score. Our second unit could've potentially have been (note: I have Kendrick Perkins and Al Jefferson in the second-unit because I am recognizing Doc Rivers as the coach of the Celtics meaning I know he will put two bad rebounders in Raef LaFrentz and Mark Blount in the starting lineup unless Blount complains about the amount of touches he recieves):

PG - Marcus Banks
SG - Tony Allen
SF - Justin Reed
PF - Al Jefferson
C - Kendrick Perkins

With Orien Greene backing up Marcus Banks and Tony Allen and Ryan Gomes backing up Justin Reed and Al Jefferson. This potential 'second-unit' would have provided good perimeter defense and Perkins and Jefferson would off-set in defense leaving out interior defense average yet horrible at help defense (both players do not know which player to commit to when a wing player is driving and they are still guarding their big man). It also would've done well in a transition offense with Kendrick Perkins and Al Jefferson both knowing how to throw an outlet pass and Marcus Banks and Orien Greene knowing how to initiate a fast-break offense. Tony Allen is a good wing in this offense.

In my opinion, Dickau shouldn't have been signed and Scalabrine... (I was just in favor of the Dickau signing earlier on but I recognized the defensive problems it would create and I theorized that Banks would off-set Dickau's defensive troubles but I didn't consider the emergence of Delonte West; Brian Scalabrine should not have been signed to be given minutes. Disregarding his contract, he would've been a good signing if he didn't not recieve minutes and acted simply as a team motivator and crowd pleaser).

With Tony Allen's legal problems and Marcus Banks' 'injury', the Celtics are forced to play a horrible defensive second unit. Dan Dickau and Brian Scalabrine are horrible defenders and even with good defense from Justin Reed and Kendrick Perkins, the Celtics are being out-scored when they play a lineup of:

PG - Dan Dickau
SG - Justin Reed
SF - Ryan Gomes / Brian Scalabrine
PF - Al Jefferson / Brian Scalabrine
C - Kendrick Perkins / Al Jefferson

For the Celtics to win with a second-unit (which I think should be abolished, but that's beyond the point), they must make some changes to help their defense. If they do not, they will lose with Pierce and Ricky Davis not being able to continue their excellent play throughout an 82 game season (that's all the games they will play this season. Sad, I know.).

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
It's amazing how much we miss Tony Allen and Marcus Banks. I'm not a big Tony Allen fan, but you can definitely see a huge drop in D for our guys.

I like the lineup of Banks/Allen/Reed/Al/Perk for defense, yet it's very sad that we'd have to depend on 5 guys with less experiance than Pierce, combined.

Right now, our first team D is pretty bad, yet the 2nd units is awful. The good news is, Tony Allen should be back pretty soon and even if he doesn't provide us with any offense, his defense will at least show throughout the time he's on the floor.

Any word on Banks yet? It'd be nice to hear something...anything...

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our scoring is around 98 points per game. We're giving up around 101 (not sure; I haven't checked the numbers recently). Defense is the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts