·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
who?

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Wow...that's really surprising...

I wonder how he ranks among the youngest coaches in Big 8/12 history.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Anyone know anything about Jeff Caple except being a Duke player which x Duke players havent faired well. As an Ou fan I am kind of like well im not sure what to think, Iguess you could say I'm a little optimistic.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
I thought Capel was doing a very good job at Virginia Commonwealth. the Colonial is not that easy of a league to win in. The best thing about Capel is he will win the right way and not be cheating ala Kelvin S.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
mavsmania41 said:
Anyone know anything about Jeff Caple except being a Duke player which x Duke players havent faired well. As an Ou fan I am kind of like well im not sure what to think, Iguess you could say I'm a little optimistic.
He's actually been considered a rising star as a coach. He built a pretty solid program at VCU, I just thought it would be a couple more years until he got a big job like this. Good for him, though.

Here, read the espn article if you want to know a little more about his coaching background.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2404508

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
What HFK said is correct, Capel has done a good job at VCU. This signing should go a long way in them keeping McDonald's All-American Scottie Reynolds from trying to get out of his letter of intent or transfering after his first year (he had been saying he was thinking about following Sampson to IU). Capel is young and vibrant so recuiting shouldn't be an issue at all.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
I think he will do a very good job,

·
Banned
675 Posts
mavsmania41 said:
Former Dukies have done extremely poorly in coaching, but Jeff is not a K protege. He coaches more like his father. He hasn't really maintained his ties to Duke much at all. He's done well with the limited resources he's had at VCU. It's certainly a risky pick, but one that could turn out well. It is indeed a signing to be optimistic about.

·
Registered
225 Posts
HKF said:
I thought Capel was doing a very good job at Virginia Commonwealth. the Colonial is not that easy of a league to win in. The best thing about Capel is he will win the right way and not be cheating ala Kelvin S.
Capel did a great job at VCU. I live in Richmond and have seen the Rams play a couple of times. After the NCAA tournament two seasons ago Auburn came after Capel but VCU offered a raise and a contract extension. OU may have found a diamond in the ruff with this hire. Time will tell.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After some further research. Here's who I believe the top 5 were for the job in the end

Capel(who got the job obviously)
Frank Haith(Recruiter in this area, but hasn't had success at Miami a major conference school)
Paul Hewitt(Bigger name Final 4 from a couple years ago. Had a young team this past year but can coach)
Hobbs(UConn connection, Doing really well at GW)
Then take your pick from a "dream candidate.
Wright, Calipari, Tubby Smith, whoever else you would try and put up there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.