Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

3081 - 3100 of 3117 Posts

·
UMBC fan
3,894 Posts
Curran was 83/131 from 2 at UMBC, but just 25 of 113 from behind the arc.

As frustrated as I have been with him at times, he was crucial in the 2017-18 dream season, especially with big buckets and the late block on TBH against UVM in the Final, and great bench minutes vs. Virginia.

Not an A+ career at UMBC, but those moments vs. UVM will always cement his name in the program's history books.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's unfortunate because I felt like Max was showing promise that season and then got injured. Then he wasn't quite himself before getting injured again the following season. Only playing about 20 games in two years must have been tough on him. I wish him nothing but the best.
Two hand surgeries in a span of a few months, second surgery in August before senior season, not enough time to recover and get in shape, definitely was not himself

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah Curran showed promise, then got hurt, and Horvath outshined him. I’m not even sure what happened this season. I remembered him “leaving the team for personal reasons” but he still sat on the bench at all the games.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,729 Posts

Jon Rothstein

Stony Brook transfer Elijah Olaniyi has committed to Miami, per his Instagram page. Sit one, play one.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Yeah Curran showed promise, then got hurt, and Horvath outshined him. I’m not even sure what happened this season. I remembered him “leaving the team for personal reasons” but he still sat on the bench at all the games.
Whatever happened he graduated on time and still was part of the team in some way. So I hope he left on good terms and will always be considered a Retriever. I certainly will.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Man, this is looking like grad transfer cautionary tale 101 across the board with these SBU players. Miami were bad last year. Cal, Santa Clara, and Iowa State all kinda sucked.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Curran was 83/131 from 2 at UMBC, but just 25 of 113 from behind the arc.

As frustrated as I have been with him at times, he was crucial in the 2017-18 dream season, especially with big buckets and the late block on TBH against UVM in the Final, and great bench minutes vs. Virginia.

Not an A+ career at UMBC, but those moments vs. UVM will always cement his name in the program's history books.
63% from the floor inside the arc. I wish he had been able to stay healthy and we used him more as a 4/5 than a stretch 3.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Man, this is looking like grad transfer cautionary tale 101 across the board with these SBU players. Miami were bad last year. Cal, Santa Clara, and Iowa State all kinda sucked.
I've tried to be a little less judgmental over the years about transfers, especially grad transfers: I've always felt that once you receive a degree, the transaction is completed. You're free to move on to the next phase, whether it's moving to a new program, or staying right where you are.

But I do wonder sometimes: if the goal is to make the NCAA Tournament, and you leave for a program that arguably has a worse chance of making the NCAA Tournament, then was it ever really about that?

Because in the case of Stony Brook, their chance of making the tourney next year was really really good. Not a guarantee, because it's still a 1-bid league, but they probably had as good a chance as any team whose league is typically seeded 13-16.

Are Cal and Iowa State going to finish in the top halves of their leagues? Because that's probably the minimum it'll take to get into the tournament. Can Santa Clara get any traction over the Non-Zaga teams in the WCC? That's not an easy league to make the tourney out of if you're not St. Mary's or BYU.

To each their own. There is more to life than winning, find your own happiness. Maybe it's flying on charter flights. Maybe it's being on the opposite side of the court as future pros for a season. Maybe it's...Iowa in January. But for guys (star athletes) who often get chided for choosing schools for reasons that aren't about school, I'm not sure they're necessarily about basketball either.

·
UMBC fan
3,894 Posts
If I spent three years playing at Stony Brook and many dull, smaller gyms I'd love the chance to play at a school in the ACC, even if it's not a top tier team. Playing in big, perhaps historic gyms in front of consistently larger crowds would be a reward in itself. Iowa State has an awesome basketball tradition, and even Santa Clara has a beautiful gym and is in/near beautiful San Jose. I don't think this is a cautionary tale, since they're all better options than Stony Brook (or any AE) in many ways.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
We are all assuming these kids are going to play very much. If they don’t play I wonder if it’s worth it. Unless they want grad degrees and this is a great way to get like 2/3 of one paid for.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,729 Posts
It's hard for us to say what's right or wrong for someone else. As much as we may feel slighted when someone chooses to transfer, grad or otherwise, it's not really for us to say that what was right for us is what was right for whomever that transfer might be. Everyone has their own path to walk in life. The mistakes we make will often shape us more than the successes.

Listen to me...I sound like I'm writing messages for fortune cookies. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,094
Any scenario where a player can transfer and red shirt 2020-21 while potentially playing “up” has to be more attractive than its ever been due to COVID-19 for obvious reasons.

Reactions: charliemike

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
It's hard for us to say what's right or wrong for someone else. As much as we may feel slighted when someone chooses to transfer, grad or otherwise, it's not really for us to say that what was right for us is what was right for whomever that transfer might be. Everyone has their own path to walk in life. The mistakes we make will often shape us more than the successes.

Listen to me...I sound like I'm writing messages for fortune cookies. :LOL:
He who hath enters the transfer portal might have enjoyment from a positive experience but might earn more wise lessons from a negative experience.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If I spent three years playing at Stony Brook and many dull, smaller gyms I'd love the chance to play at a school in the ACC, even if it's not a top tier team. Playing in big, perhaps historic gyms in front of consistently larger crowds would be a reward in itself. Iowa State has an awesome basketball tradition, and even Santa Clara has a beautiful gym and is in/near beautiful San Jose. I don't think this is a cautionary tale, since they're all better options than Stony Brook (or any AE) in many ways.
LOL @ the thought that current grad transfers will ever again play in front of fans during their collegiate careers. Now, there is a much higher likelihood that a student-athlete will be able to salvage some degree of a basketball season at a high-major (like Iowa State) than a mid-major.

For football it's becoming increasingly apparent that the NCAA will not be sponsoring a season, but they won't stand in the way of the B10 and SEC from doing their own, independent seasons either. Much more is at stake when it comes to high major athletics, and the FBS schools also have the resources (needed for quarantine, charter private jets, routine testing, etc.) to play in a Corona environment than mid-majors do. This is likely to extend (at least to some degree) for collegiate basketball; the higher the conference the greater degree of normalcy.

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,097
My hope for this board is people start to accept the current reality the world finds itself in. Olayini leaving for Miami in this current environment makes a tremendous amount of sense regardless of his new role, or what he might be leaving behind at SBU. One, he gets to sit out 2020-21 while keeping eligibility intact. The 2020-21 season at this point may not be played, if it is played may be abbreviated, only some schools may participate, it will almost certainly be played w/out fans in gyms if that's even feasible- so eliminating the uncertain factors makes a ton of sense for a player like Olayaini- and to transfer to a school/conference with far more athletic resources makes sense in this environment as well.

Selfishly, I want nothing more for UVM and all AE schools to retain their players and to play a complete the 2020-21 college basketball season, but as time goes on the risk that appears unlikely increases. I'm not advocating anyone to leave, but at some point it may be in Stef Smith's best interest to really think about exploring the same move as Olayini. It really sucks, but student-athletes need to make best decisions with information in front of them and at some point returning to UVM for a senior year that might not exist is too big a risk worth taking.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I mean, if the offer is come to Miami and sit for a year and then play then hell yes he should go. If he's already graduated and has a RS year to burn then he can leave Miami with a graduate degree for free. That by itself is compelling.

·
6,032 Posts
My hope for this board is people start to accept the current reality the world finds itself in. Olayini leaving for Miami in this current environment makes a tremendous amount of sense regardless of his new role, or what he might be leaving behind at SBU. One, he gets to sit out 2020-21 while keeping eligibility intact. The 2020-21 season at this point may not be played, if it is played may be abbreviated, only some schools may participate, it will almost certainly be played w/out fans in gyms if that's even feasible- so eliminating the uncertain factors makes a ton of sense for a player like Olayaini- and to transfer to a school/conference with far more athletic resources makes sense in this environment as well.

Selfishly, I want nothing more for UVM and all AE schools to retain their players and to play a complete the 2020-21 college basketball season, but as time goes on the risk that appears unlikely increases. I'm not advocating anyone to leave, but at some point it may be in Stef Smith's best interest to really think about exploring the same move as Olayini. It really sucks, but student-athletes need to make best decisions with information in front of them and at some point returning to UVM for a senior year that might not exist is too big a risk worth taking.
You mention that, but at some point very soon more schools and conferences need to announce their intentions for next school year to give the kids a good opportunity to make that decision.

·
UMBC fan
3,894 Posts
LOL @ the thought that current grad transfers will ever again play in front of fans during their collegiate careers. Now, there is a much higher likelihood that a student-athlete will be able to salvage some degree of a basketball season at a high-major (like Iowa State) than a mid-major.

For football it's becoming increasingly apparent that the NCAA will not be sponsoring a season, but they won't stand in the way of the B10 and SEC from doing their own, independent seasons either. Much more is at stake when it comes to high major athletics, and the FBS schools also have the resources (needed for quarantine, charter private jets, routine testing, etc.) to play in a Corona environment than mid-majors do. This is likely to extend (at least to some degree) for collegiate basketball; the higher the conference the greater degree of normalcy.
I think that's right - I do not believe we will see filled gymnasiums anytime soon either. It's impossible to ignore context in the decision-making process of a current graduate transfer. However, I was speaking broadly, both in regard to past decisions and ones down the road, to the reasons why it wasn't a "cautionary tale," and why players may be moved to play at mediocre Power 5 in favor of a 2/3 seed in a low mid major.

3081 - 3100 of 3117 Posts