Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

3401 - 3420 of 3429 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually never heard he was planning on making his announcement today other than this tweet yesterday. I can't confirm it directly
This tweet looks like it was from a high school kid, so I give it a 2/10 on the reliability scale.

If true that Akin has a USU offer, it would surprise me if he were to go to JMU or somewhere else. That said, it did surprise me he was reported to have an offer from USU, not because he’s not worthy (I think he is), but because with Horvath’s addition and Bean returning (MW all-conference player), along with Dorius (Queta’s backup) returning, it seemed odd we’d be using another scholarship on a big where we have some depth there and real needs for a PG and wing player. The report that we’d offered Akin made me think we’d see a USU big entering the portal, but that hasn’t materialized.

Not sure what to make of it.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Lieberman has sort of taken on the Alex Kline thing for basketball recruiting.

I don't think Dan is going to USU. Never know though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This tweet looks like it was from a high school kid, so I give it a 2/10 on the reliability scale.

If true that Akin has a USU offer, it would surprise me if he were to go to JMU or somewhere else. That said, it did surprise me he was reported to have an offer from USU, not because he’s not worthy (I think he is), but because with Horvath’s addition and Bean returning (MW all-conference player), along with Dorius (Queta’s backup) returning, it seemed odd we’d be using another scholarship on a big where we have some depth there and real needs for a PG and wing player. The report that we’d offered Akin made me think we’d see a USU big entering the portal, but that hasn’t materialized.

Not sure what to make of it.
I did reach out to Dan and he did tell that guy that he would be making it that day, but he hasn't actually done it. He doesn't want to go to Utah, but Odom wants him there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's just one year, and man ... to get back to the Dance again ... I think he should do it.
I would. Which is why I assumed they were in the running until I heard otherwise. Maybe the fact he didn't actually announce that day says he might have a change of heart and is considering USU or even back at UMBC now that Ferry has been there a a full week to talk with him.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Has he ever been to Utah? That is a beautiful state. Logan isn't too far from the top of Great Salt Lake and Salt Lake City is only about an hour and a half or so away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did reach out to Dan and he did tell that guy that he would be making it that day, but he hasn't actually done it. He doesn't want to go to Utah, but Odom wants him there.
I would. Which is why I assumed they were in the running until I heard otherwise. Maybe the fact he didn't actually announce that day says he might have a change of heart and is considering USU or even back at UMBC now that Ferry has been there a a full week to talk with him.
I can totally understand a PoC being skeptical of Utah. I would be. And it will totally be a major culture shock from London and the East Coast. But in the end I bet he’d love USU though. Logan is a college town’s college town.

I think Akin is a good player, but he seems to have a game similar to Justin Bean. And I have a hard time seeing him out-Beaning our Bean, who has done it at an all-conference level in the MW. I’d welcome him, but I question the fit and how much PT he’ll get unless someone is leaving that hasn’t announced yet. If Dorius is leaving and Akin can play the 5 then I can see a ton of PT for him. Is Akin more of a 4 I’d assume?

Also, Smith always liked to play with a rim protecting 5 on the floor like Queta and Dorius. Maybe that’s not part of Odom’s plan, and there’s a lot more PT for Akin than I am assuming.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Has Akin committed anywhere yet? USU got a commit yesterday from Zee Hamoda, so we are down to one scholarship left.
Not that we know of yet - he's been communicating with @jakelieberman2 (he is a HSer per Twitter, but has been reliable on mid major transfer news) on Twitter, and I think we'll see it there when it happens.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Dan Akin is off to Cal Baptist.
You could have given me 275 guesses and I doubt I would have named Cal Baptist as the school he would end up transferring to over returning to UMBC.

3401 - 3420 of 3429 Posts