Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

3441 - 3460 of 3463 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Interesting tweet by Jon Rothstein: “Multiple mid-major programs are opting to not play guarantee games against high-major programs because it gives power conference teams a "free live evaluation" of future players who could move up via the transfer portal.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw this and didn't know where to post it, but this thread works. As pointed out, this seems like very misguided effort to combat this "problem" (assuming any coach actually sticks to their guns on this, and it isn't just the Anonymous Source Tough Guy routine at play). When you take a stance that arguably hurts you (in the way of lost wages and potential recruiting selling points) more than it hurts the other guy (who loses...I guess a "scouting opportunity" in a really conceptual sense, but not necessarily something greater than what they can get through dozens of hours of accessible video footage and watching a player in-person against another team), well...maybe you should rethink that stance.

I guess if anyone is going to do this it would be Ivy League schools, who need less revenue and have institutional recruiting selling points other comparable programs do not.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I guess if anyone is going to do this it would be Ivy League schools, who need less revenue and have institutional recruiting selling points other comparable programs do not.
I almost feel like the Ivy would be least likely? They don't allow grad students to play, so that eliminates one big pool of potential losses. And, as an undergrad who isn't going to the NBA, how many of these kids are going to choose being the 7th man on Virginia Tech over a degree from an Ivy League school?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I almost feel like the Ivy would be least likely? They don't allow grad students to play, so that eliminates one big pool of potential losses. And, as an undergrad who isn't going to the NBA, how many of these kids are going to choose being the 7th man on Virginia Tech over a degree from an Ivy League school?
All good points. I guess I looked at it from the perspective of: a) Ivy Leaguers are the only one-bid league that doesn't need to cash game checks to properly fund a program, and b) when selling an Ivy League school, "We're gonna go play this P5 team and that P5 team and this in-season tourney" probably rarely comes up...or at least, it comes up well after "You know how people say 'It's the Harvard' of something? We're the Harvard of schools."

I still think it's a bunch of bluster and (provided we're back to normal scheduling by November, which it certainly looks that way) just about every one-bid school will have at least one guarantee game on its schedule. New stat to track? How many players transfer to a school that they played on the schedule the season before?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Interesting tweet by Jon Rothstein: “Multiple mid-major programs are opting to not play guarantee games against high-major programs because it gives power conference teams a "free live evaluation" of future players who could move up via the transfer portal.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This reeks of Rothstein running with a comment by one high-major coach, especially since it helps fit his narrative of being anti-player movement and kissing the ass of high-major coaches and . With the exception of maybe the Ivy League schools (and maybe Hartford in light of the Morgan Valley buyout report), who is in a position to turn down buy out money?

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,446 ·
Reactions: GoCatsGo

·
Registered
786 Posts
It’s like a more extreme version of the approach Eric Musselman took at Nevada. Except it sounds like this is a pretty high profile program. So basically you’re saying you’ll let other people recruit the one and done guys and the other top high school guys and you’ll take proven experience instead.

Not sure how I feel about that from the standpoint of what’s good for the game, but I can’t really blame the coach. He‘s just got to be able to follow through and actually get players to view it as a destination school for talented transfers. If not, it could be a disaster.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Per Verbal Commits, Leyton Bickford is leaving Maine having played one game, avoiding a 2 trillion at Vermont with a turnover.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Binghamton's Thomas Bruce enters the portal. Crazy how long his college career will have lasted!

2015-16: Freshman
2016-17: Sophomore
2017-18: Junior
2018-19: Medical Redshirt
2019-20: Medical Redshirt
2020-21: Graduate Student (doesn't count toward four years of eligibility per NCAA Covid ruling)
2021-22: Graduate Student (?)

3441 - 3460 of 3463 Posts