Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
3741 - 3760 of 3801 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Tyler Bertram to UAB. I really thought this level was appropriate for him and can’t imagine his role expands as a Blazer, but UAB is coming off a 27-win season and maybe he’d rather get sparse minutes on a tourney team than be a key player at Binghamton.
Weird story. Semi local upstate NY kid, goes to high school in Vermont, heavily recruited by UVM and other northeast schools, heads way down south, boomerangs right back, and now is on the move even further south.

I do wonder what it is some of these kids who transfer three times seek. In the analytics and social media-frenzied world it seems like some of these guys have trouble enjoying the moment and relishing the fortunes they have as Division 1 athletes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think some kids are literally just transfering for non basketball related reasons such as experience new school, try something new etc. Hard to fault them if the rules allow it. Not sure if teams at America East level should even invest in freshmen anymore.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think some kids are literally just transfering for non basketball related reasons such as experience new school, try something new etc. Hard to fault them if the rules allow it. Not sure if teams at America East level should even invest in freshmen anymore.
I know this is a risk, but I'm inclined to go against the grain on this one. The allure of the portal (on the coaches' end) is resulting in a lot of high school guys being under recruited, and especially if I'm in a talent rich area, I'd try to go super heavy on that local area with the intention of landing a core of local guys that I hope to have together for 2-3 years. The traveling/budget expenses wouldn't be crazy either since I'm looking more at the level below EYBL/sneaker circuits.

Admittedly, this is probably a lot harder to pull off if you're in Maine or New Hampshire (due to location) as compared to NJIT or UMBC, but I see the market inefficiency and more hidden gems are remaining hidden due to the portal obsession.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I know this is a risk, but I'm inclined to go against the grain on this one. The allure of the portal (on the coaches' end) is resulting in a lot of high school guys being under recruited, and especially if I'm in a talent rich area, I'd try to go super heavy on that local area with the intention of landing a core of local guys that I hope to have together for 2-3 years. The traveling/budget expenses wouldn't be crazy either since I'm looking more at the level below EYBL/sneaker circuits.

Admittedly, this is probably a lot harder to pull off if you're in Maine or New Hampshire (due to location) as compared to NJIT or UMBC, but I see the market inefficiency and more hidden gems are remaining hidden due to the portal obsession.
I generally agree. I know everyone has big Portal Boners right now, but if "nobody" is investing in HS freshmen...you should definitely think about investing in HS freshmen.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Saw a tweet the other day that was along the lines of "if you're a high school player who wants to go D1, go D2 this year and play well." Additionally, I saw some Juco advocates saying they're getting more kids they never would have gotten before because of the portal (or some coming to them from the portal)...but even then college coaches aren't recruiting these guys because they've got an assistant on staff chasing sexy names in the portal they have no chance at in order to impress their boss or their next employer, when they should be taking guys who are gonna help their boss win some games. My favorite type of transfer is the guy who would be on his 3rd school and played at two schools that absolutely sucked record wise...every circumstance is different but, you really think that's the guy who is gonna come in and help you win?

The portal is a great little dopamine hit for the players. They have endless amounts of tweet dudes wanting to get their lists out there, they like hearing from schools they'd never dream of hearing from out of HS after scoring anywhere from 6 to 16 ppg at a one bid league, and then the rest...well, it's on them to find the fit/be successful whatever. As for the coaches, well, some especially in the multi-bid leagues taking on some of these guys...great way to get fired in 5 years, because 16 ppg in the AE = / = same results in the SEC.

That's on both the players and coaches who are making the right or wrong assessments. The portal is a good thing, I think there will be some corrections after Covid waivers are done, and after so many of these guys start to realize there actually is not a place for them anywhere. I'd also say any staff deciding to portal only is pretty stupid, especially now if you can find a lot of talent just waiting for their offer (not to mention the endless amount of bridges you'd burn on EYBL/AAU and even local HS and preps within a 200 mile radius)...but a lot of that also seems to be so many of these coaches know they can't keep guys around either because they don't win, can't make guys better, have a bad team environment, give them any reason to stay for more than a year or two or recruit the wrong type of guy who is looking for the next best thing rather than your school being the spot they want to play.

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,753 ·
Olayini should take a look at Miami.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts

A bit OT...but I didn't know he was in the portal. I thought he was solid vs. UVM when they played. I caught one SMC game in person this year and while it was a lot of points on a bad team, he definitely was serviceable at a low D1. I don't know if UVM had any interest, but utside of not wanting to piss off the cross town school, there's a few guys I sometimes have wondered why UVM might not be able to convince to just move across town. Levi Holmes is a recent example. I believe he had a grad year he could take, but stuck it out and scored like 23 a game on a bad team...which then again, numbers guys on bad teams aren't always easy to translate into winning teams.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Olayini should take a look at Miami.
Seriously. I mean, they did just get K-State transfer Nijel Pack after offering him $800K over the next 2 years plus a car. Gotta love the NIL.

Reactions: UVM Hoop Cat
3741 - 3760 of 3801 Posts