Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
3761 - 3780 of 3801 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,909 Posts
Off topic, but there was a story about how a wide receiver from Pitt is transferring to USC, and Pitt’s coach is alleging that he was contacted by the Trojans before going into the portal. Paul Finebaum said this past weekend at the Draft that several coaches said it’s very widespread, and that cheating even in the NIL era is much more prevalent than the Southwest Conference’s “We’re gonna show you how to cheat” era.

I’m just wondering how prevalent that is at this level. I remember when Four McGlynn transferred from Vermont to Towson, those accusations were made, and when Sam Sessoms went from Binghamton to Penn St, there was some SM chatter.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Off topic, but there was a story about how a wide receiver from Pitt is transferring to USC, and Pitt’s coach is alleging that he was contacted by the Trojans before going into the portal. Paul Finebaum said this past weekend at the Draft that several coaches said it’s very widespread, and that cheating even in the NIL era is much more prevalent than the Southwest Conference’s “We’re gonna show you how to cheat” era.

I’m just wondering how prevalent that is at this level. I remember when Four McGlynn transferred from Vermont to Towson, those accusations were made, and when Sam Sessoms went from Binghamton to Penn St, there was some SM chatter.
McGlynn's dad at the time was coaching in his AAU program and basically by like January-February was secretly shopping around Four because they were mad Becker didn't start him. Then UVM blocked him from going to GW because there was thought they did it to follow Lonergan, along with any other AE schools (which at the time was common). So, not exactly the same...just a parent who had connections doing the work for his kid behind the scenes...parents, AAU coaches, runners, whatever, that's not new.

As for coaches complaining about tampering...stuff happened well before NIL and the portal. Some of these guys know exactly where they are going from the jump but just wait it out so it doesn't look suspicious.

·
Registered
129 Posts
McGlynn's dad at the time was coaching in his AAU program and basically by like January-February was secretly shopping around Four because they were mad Becker didn't start him. Then UVM blocked him from going to GW because there was thought they did it to follow Lonergan, along with any other AE schools (which at the time was common). So, not exactly the same...just a parent who had connections doing the work for his kid behind the scenes...parents, AAU coaches, runners, whatever, that's not new.

As for coaches complaining about tampering...stuff happened well before NIL and the portal. Some of these guys know exactly where they are going from the jump but just wait it out so it doesn't look suspicious.
It makes perfect sense to do some "research" before hitting the portal. If you're announcing that you're transferring, you want to confirm that there's a destination and hopefully a good one at that....

As for Four, I'm no fan but Becker should've started him. That was a miscue.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It makes perfect sense to do some "research" before hitting the portal. If you're announcing that you're transferring, you want to confirm that there's a destination and hopefully a good one at that....

As for Four, I'm no fan but Becker should've started him. That was a miscue.
Four was the sixth man who got his minutes and brought instant offense into the game. Havlicek and McHale, to name two, were Hall of Famers who started their careers as the sixth man, so it’s actually a good role for someone who cares about the team and winning. Four’s teammates were not sorry to see him leave.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Interesting...

For those scoring at home, the timeline...

-Plays 2 seasons at Stetson
-Jumps in the Portal in March 2021
-Transfers to George Mason in July 2021
-Appears in 4 games.
-Jumps in the Portal in January 2022
-Transfers to Bryant like, no exaggeration, 2 days later
-Jumps in the Portal in May 2022

Has at least 2...maybe 3 years of eligibility left? Still time to hit some more schools.

·
Registered
65 Posts
3761 - 3780 of 3801 Posts