Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
3781 - 3800 of 3801 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts

Best of luck to Georges. Hope he gets the opportunity he was looking for.
Looks like Eric Beckett has landed at the same (D11) school also. Good for them.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I am really surprised. He looked to have considerable promise at the D1 level and certainly added some athleticism/physicality to the CATS.
Agreed, he must have really wanted to get out of UVM...its hard to believe that he couldn't garner more interest in a higher level program, but I guess his minutes were pretty limited and not a lot of highlight video available. Perhaps his plan is to standout there and then transfer up in a year or two???

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Every UVM transfer out went D2. Sometimes, the "market" corrects itself, and players who average less than 2 points per game end up at a level where they have a better chance of not doing that. Nature healing itself.

Not in the least bit surprised the lot of you are shocked at this though. Never change Cat fans.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Every UVM transfer out went D2. Sometimes, the "market" corrects itself, and players who average less than 2 points per game end up at a level where they have a better chance of not doing that. Nature healing itself.

Not in the least bit surprised the lot of you are shocked at this though. Never change Cat fans.
Perhaps you missed some of the comments some of Guillorie’s teammates had about what he brought to the team…his strength, rebounding prowess, explosion. He, as a freshman, had tons of experience and skill sitting in front of him this past year. Despite the attempt to dismiss all opinions Catamount, I remain of the view that where he landed was unexpected. I wish him well.

·
Registered
369 Posts

To think that he was a solid D1 player as a freshman (even setting aside Becker's preseason observation that he and Sammy "are the future of the program"), and to therefore be surprised he'd leave to play D2, is hardly the same thing as thinking he's some superstar. He obviously wasn't going to get A10 or higher looks, but I expected a lateral move that was more about school and maybe location and less about level of basketball.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Perhaps you missed some of the comments some of Guillorie’s teammates had about what he brought to the team…his strength, rebounding prowess, explosion. He, as a freshman, had tons of experience and skill sitting in front of him this past year. Despite the attempt to dismiss all opinions Catamount, I remain of the view that where he landed was unexpected. I wish him well.
What are players gonna say about their teammates publicly, that they suck? That doesn't matter because their opinion doesn't matter. The coach decides who plays, didn't play Guillory much. Yeah, he had talent in front of him on the roster, he couldn't beat it out, didn't want to stick around to see if he'd get a bigger role, went into the portal and got a rude awakening that other D1 schools aren't gonna think much of a player at UVM who averaged 1.6 points per game. I wish him well too, but some of you guys just gotta pull your heads out of your asses here...guy proved nothing as a D1 player that another team to his liking would give him a shot.

To think that he was a solid D1 player as a freshman (even setting aside Becker's preseason observation that he and Sammy "are the future of the program"), and to therefore be surprised he'd leave to play D2, is hardly the same thing as thinking he's some superstar. He obviously wasn't going to get A10 or higher looks, but I expected a lateral move that was more about school and maybe location and less about level of basketball.
Well, either Becker was lying or Guillory didn't believe him and thought he could do better...and then found out the hard way that other D1 schools don't give a shit about dudes who can't score more than 2 ppg on teams, because guards like him can be found anywhere.

Classic portal beware story, but this isn't surprising in the way any of you think it is at all, but whatever helps you feel better. Guys like Guillory are gonna make mistakes, he won't be the first nor the last. Like I said, nature will heal itself once the Covid waivers end and more guys realize there are more people in the portal than spots available for them to go. And hey, maaaybe Guillory figured that out and picked a school where he's gonna be happier playing because it's the level he should have been at from the start potentially?

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,793 ·
Beckett & Lefebvre both ended up at a place in Canada that is probably more of a fit for them in terms of getting on the court.

Guillory showed some promise and while I wasn't expecting him to transfer to Missouri, but maybe SE Missouri State? Something like that; another low D1.

He prepped at New Hampton, could be a coaching connection at SNHU(?). Either way, that's a nice get for SNHU.

Reactions: Catamanica

·
Registered
863 Posts
Is SNHU in the running for a D1 upgrade/NEC invite?

Sad to see him go. I loved his physicality and athleticism. I wish he was able to overcome whatever problems he had with the school or staff (not sure but you can read between the lines of his instagram post).

·
Registered
971 Posts
This might be one of those cases where everyone can be right at the same time. I think Guillory is absolutely a D1 player, much more so than Lefebvre, for example. But I also think the portal is absurdly jammed with so many guys like that this year, and maybe the interest just wasn’t what he thought it would be or what it might have been in a different year. Or maybe he wants to play big minutes right now, which he should clearly do there.

It’s also why I’m not real panicked about having to fill a couple more spots. There are a million perfectly solid players hanging out there that can probably fill our roster out. As long as we’re having the right conversations with enough of those guys, we should get some good additions.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Georges is the one that kind of surprised me because of his size. Often guys that are that big get a few shots regardless of skill because there aren't enough guys of that size to fill d1 rosters. I hope they all succeed this year and get another shot in d1 if they want it. Can't wait for the extra covid year stuff to be over

·
U of AZ 72
162 Posts
Georges is the one that kind of surprised me because of his size. Often guys that are that big get a few shots regardless of skill because there aren't enough guys of that size to fill d1 rosters. I hope they all succeed this year and get another shot in d1 if they want it. Can't wait for the extra covid year stuff to be over
IT seems like Montreal would be a logical place to recruit for UVM. I hope George's experience doesn't discourage others

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
This might be one of those cases where everyone can be right at the same time. I think Guillory is absolutely a D1 player, much more so than Lefebvre, for example. But I also think the portal is absurdly jammed with so many guys like that this year, and maybe the interest just wasn’t what he thought it would be or what it might have been in a different year. Or maybe he wants to play big minutes right now, which he should clearly do there.
I've said this about the NBA, but I think it's true about college too especially with the number of available 5th-year guys out there. When you think about what the minimum standard is to "play D-1", there are more guys out there who can play D-1 than there are scholarships available in D-1. In the bottom tier of guys, it's not enough to be skilled enough to earn a scholarship. It's about being able to check the right boxes for the right coaches/programs who are looking to fill certain roles, or are looking for guys with a certain amount of eligibility, or whatever. And then after that, check the right boxes for yourself.

I did think it was possible that Guillory could land at another D-1 school, because I don't need to look very hard to know there's a lot of junky programs in the bottom echelon of D-1, and some of them are looking for rebuild entire rosters. Or some of them were in D-2 a minute ago and are trying to add pieces for the move to D-1. But I'm certainly not shocked by any means to see him land in a good D-2 league like the NE-10.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not surprising at all. I said as much after the Florida tournament for Lefebvre and after Guillory announced he was transferring. Both have athleticism and size but neither are that good at basketball. Unless Lefebvre is a late late bloomer who suddenly becomes coordinated and develops a high bb IQ, he might not do anything at the D2 level. As for Guillory, he doesn't have a position. He can't handle well enough for a point guard, shoot well enough for a shooting guard, or be a skilled 3 and D small forward as well as being too short for the position. He had some hustle moments but basically has no jumper (or refuses to shoot it) and has no moves other than going hard right. Becker probably said Alamutu and Guillory so as to not put all the pressure on Alamutu's shoulders. I haven't even seen him play yet but I still take him over Guillory all day every day.

3781 - 3800 of 3801 Posts