Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
"I think he definitely has potential to score, but I want to see other things defending, rebounding..."
That's the same concern I voiced last season when everyone was going nuts over Outlaw's newfound shooting proficiency. I saw it as a Cheeks' system abomination, i.e. totally one-on-one effectiveness that was mutually exclusive from team flow. If he wasn't hoisting shots immediately, I saw no indication that he knew what to do. His lone saving grace was great leaping ability and a nice touch once up there, but he's not nearly a good enough player to get by on just that quality.

Travis seems to have a good head on his shoulders, so here's hoping he continues to work on his all-around game as much as he [apparently] has on his shot.

Dan

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
In general, if Travis was the sweetener required to get a deal we want done, I would not blink an eye. Apparently his value is very high at the moment (didn't a bunch of GMs vote him second most likely player to have a breakout season after Dwight Howard?) and I say capitalize. Yes he has a nice stroke and freakish athleticism, but so does Jonathan Bender. He's a shorter Stromile Swift. The other bazillion SFs we have also play defense and have superior basketball IQ. I don't think he excelled in Summer League - he did well in the first game or two, but not thereafter - he was the supposed star and the team lost.

Now, what can we get for him? Nene? Unfortunate that he got injured. Didn't Danny Ainge really like him? Hey, how about Jefferson for Outlaw? Wouldn't THAT be sweet.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Now, what can we get for him? Nene? Unfortunate that he got injured. Didn't Danny Ainge really like him? Hey, how about Jefferson for Outlaw? Wouldn't THAT be sweet.
Yea, Richard Jefferson for Outlaw would be a sweet deal.....

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Watching Monia you can see what Nate is talking about. He does play smart. In the first game I seen him box his man out so we were able to get a rebound. The Blazers have in the past been seriously lacking in stuff as simple as that. Just imagine what he'll be able to do when his English is better and can understand his coaches and teammates better.

·
A deserving All-Star
2,319 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Yea, Richard Jefferson for Outlaw would be a sweet deal.....
I think he meant Al Jefferson of the Boston Celtics.

·
Registered
275 Posts
dkap said:
That's the same concern I voiced last season when everyone was going nuts over Outlaw's newfound shooting proficiency. I saw it as a Cheeks' system abomination, i.e. totally one-on-one effectiveness that was mutually exclusive from team flow. If he wasn't hoisting shots immediately, I saw no indication that he knew what to do. His lone saving grace was great leaping ability and a nice touch once up there, but he's not nearly a good enough player to get by on just that quality.

Travis seems to have a good head on his shoulders, so here's hoping he continues to work on his all-around game as much as he [apparently] has on his shot.

Dan
My problem with Outlaw is illustrated by this article in the Tribune http://portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=32525

If outlaw has the mentality of a 2 guard I think he's going to struggle. Right now he looks like Bambi out there. He supposedly had outlandish athleticism but he really doen't use it to his advantage in my opinion. He would be better served viewing himself as a Larry Nance clone and I think he will eventually come to see that but the question really becomes will he see it before he plays for another team? I don't mean to sound like I'm not supporting him because I do wholeheartedly but if the kid sees himself as a 2 guard I think he's regressing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts