1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am VERY happy with the following team:

Krstic/Twin/RJ/VC/Kidd

Mjax/???/Padgett/Zoran/JMac

The question is who will ??? become? Wilcox isn't bad. Ely could help. Who else? CV, May or Diogu would've been to good to be true.

The point is that we have a very nice team. We are missing one guy and it's up to Rod to get him.

Ilic's development is a key in my mind since he either needs to be our center of the future or a big part of a trade. I see us with Ilic, 2 #1 picks and Wright (plus salary filler) to get the guy we need.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
I deleted the duplicate thread of this, just letting you know. My first use of my mod power. :biggrin:
Thanks, my computer burped.

Do your mod powers tell you which big man the Nets will get?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I was told, under the condition that I would keep it a secret.

I'm rooting for Kenny Thomas and some incentive to take on his contract from the Kings.

-Petey

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Petey said:
I was told, under the condition that I would keep it a secret.

I'm rooting for Kenny Thomas and some incentive to take on his contract from the Kings.

-Petey
NBA does not allow incentives. Thomas' contract is prohibitive.

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
I deleted the duplicate thread of this, just letting you know. My first use of my mod power. :biggrin:
I made the dupe thread not visible. You have to uncheck the little box next to "make thread visible" to make it go away.

I would have sent a PM, but since the majority of posters here are mods...

:biggrin:

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Jackson and Vaughn for Kenny Thomas works.

They both have shorter contracts and will save the Kings money.

By incentives, I mean perhaps 3 Million dollars, the max allowable, maybe a slighty protected 1st round pick, or a couple 2nd round picks?

-Petey

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
rundmc00 said:
I am VERY happy with the following team:

Krstic/Twin/RJ/VC/Kidd

Mjax/???/Padgett/Zoran/JMac

The question is who will ??? become? Wilcox isn't bad. Ely could help. Who else? CV, May or Diogu would've been to good to be true.

The point is that we have a very nice team. We are missing one guy and it's up to Rod to get him.

Ilic's development is a key in my mind since he either needs to be our center of the future or a big part of a trade. I see us with Ilic, 2 #1 picks and Wright (plus salary filler) to get the guy we need.
Unless Collins is going to play through pain the rest of the year, I can't see the Nets mortgaging their future to pick up 1] Wilcox whose minutes in the last 7 games have been 22, 14, 18, 16, 11, 5 and 6 or 2] Ely whose shooting percentage is 34.1% and hasnt played in a week because of a shin injury. Maybe the Nets have a higher opinion of Wilcox than the Clippers do, but every time Wilcox gets a chance to succeed, he fails.

Ilic probably will not play for the Nets next year. The Nets discussed the possibility of keeping him in Europe for two years on Draft Night. Considering that he still hasn't put on a lot of weight, has been spotty offensively, and is under contract for two years, I doubt he will be ready. The Nets have said they wanted to bring Krstic over in 2003-04 but buyout issues prevented it. In the long run, however, Stefanski has said it worked out to the Nets' advantage that he stayed. I am sure that that experience will play heavily in their discussions.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NetIncome said:
Unless Collins is going to play through pain the rest of the year, I can't see the Nets mortgaging their future to pick up 1] Wilcox whose minutes in the last 7 games have been 22, 14, 18, 16, 11, 5 and 6 or 2] Ely whose shooting percentage is 34.1% and hasnt played in a week because of a shin injury. Maybe the Nets have a higher opinion of Wilcox than the Clippers do, but every time Wilcox gets a chance to succeed, he fails.

Ilic probably will not play for the Nets next year. The Nets discussed the possibility of keeping him in Europe for two years on Draft Night. Considering that he still hasn't put on a lot of weight, has been spotty offensively, and is under contract for two years, I doubt he will be ready. The Nets have said they wanted to bring Krstic over in 2003-04 but buyout issues prevented it. In the long run, however, Stefanski has said it worked out to the Nets' advantage that he stayed. I am sure that that experience will play heavily in their discussions.
1 first rounder for Ely or Wilcox is far from mortgaging their future. Or better yet, Wright and filler for Ely would be great.

Mortgaging their future would be more appropriate for what we gave up for Cliffy. A valuable TE, 2 #2 picks (Taft was one) and moving down the draft board which cost us May, who went 15/8 in 22 minutes last night.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
rundmc00 said:
1 first rounder for Ely or Wilcox is far from mortgaging their future. Or better yet, Wright and filler for Ely would be great.

Mortgaging their future would be more appropriate for what we gave up for Cliffy. A valuable TE, 2 #2 picks (Taft was one) and moving down the draft board which cost us May, who went 15/8 in 22 minutes last night.
"Cost us May" again?

That of course assumes that the Nets would have missed the playoffs, then either got a lottery pick above 14 or if not, moved up in the draft with a trade. I guess if the Nets had received the No. 14 pick, they could have moved up to No. 10, where most boards had May, but what do you think it would have cost the Nets to move up five spaces in a draft viewed as the deepest in history? How about the Clipper pick? No thanks. Also, you are assuming that if the Nets had moved up, it would not have effected other team's draft night strategies. You assume that the only thing that would have changed was the Nets' pick.

To call sending two second-round picks to Golden State for Cliff Robinson "mortgaging the future" is just plain silly. The Nets made the playoffs which in turn helped them in a number of ways you do not factor in. Taft is having a monster season, I will admit, averaging 2.3 ppg. [And before you cite his 48 minute rebounding stats, do the math on his 48 minute personal fouls.]

PS The Nets have pursued perimeter defenders at least as much if not more than power forward candidates over the past year. They tried to get Marcus Banks from the Celtics in August 2004, tried to get Dahntay Jones from the Griz in December 2004, drafted Antoine Wright [who you dismiss as a bust and a terrible pick after two weeks] in June 2005 and tried to sign Keyon Dooling or Raja Bell in July 2005. Everyone of them was billed as a perimeter defender. You may ignore the facts but they exist.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NetIncome said:
"Cost us May" again?

That of course assumes that the Nets would have missed the playoffs, then either got a lottery pick above 14 or if not, moved up in the draft with a trade. I guess if the Nets had received the No. 14 pick, they could have moved up to No. 10, where most boards had May, but what do you think it would have cost the Nets to move up five spaces in a draft viewed as the deepest in history? How about the Clipper pick? No thanks. Also, you are assuming that if the Nets had moved up, it would not have effected other team's draft night strategies. You assume that the only thing that would have changed was the Nets' pick.

To call sending two second-round picks to Golden State for Cliff Robinson "mortgaging the future" is just plain silly. The Nets made the playoffs which in turn helped them in a number of ways you do not factor in. Taft is having a monster season, I will admit, averaging 2.3 ppg. [And before you cite his 48 minute rebounding stats, do the math on his 48 minute personal fouls.]

PS The Nets have pursued perimeter defenders at least as much if not more than power forward candidates over the past year. They tried to get Marcus Banks from the Celtics in August 2004, tried to get Dahntay Jones from the Griz in December 2004, drafted Antoine Wright [who you dismiss as a bust and a terrible pick after two weeks] in June 2005 and tried to sign Keyon Dooling or Raja Bell in July 2005. Everyone of them was billed as a perimeter defender. You may ignore the facts but they exist.
14th draft pick? Minnesota had a better record than us last year and got the 14th pick. It is mathematically impossible that we could have missed the playoffs and gotten the 14th pick. Also, what relevance is the 10th pick regarding May? He was chosen 13th, remember?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
rundmc00 said:
14th draft pick? Minnesota had a better record than us last year and got the 14th pick. It is mathematically impossible that we could have missed the playoffs and gotten the 14th pick. Also, what relevance is the 10th pick regarding May? He was chosen 13th, remember?
I am not going to engage in any more of this silliness with you either here or the other boards. I made my point quite clearly...you missed it, as usual. It's unfortunate.

Nothing would be "mathematically impossible" once you begin with the premise that the Nets wouldn't have acquired Cliff Robinson on February 24th. Things would have changed from that point on. It is UNKNOWABLE what would have changed...Nets' wins, losses, other teams' wins, losses, draft strategies, etc. None of that is KNOWABLE. Yet, your assumption appears to be--and as usual it is hard to discern--that nothing would have changed, that the Nets would have finished just outside playoffs. Your position is without any logic...NONE...and increasingly tiresome.

You picture yourself as some hard realist. You ain't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts