Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether Roy Hibbert returns to the Indiana Pacers next season is still a mystery.

But perhaps a hint was given Wednesday when Colts linebacker Robert Mathis posted a promotion for the annual Celebrity Softball Challenge at Victory Field.

Hibbert, who has been a staple in the event since 2009, was absent from the poster. Pacers George Hill and Paul George are billed along with Mathis and Colts teammate Dwayne Allen. But no Hibbert.

Now, that doesn't mean Hibbert won't be in attendance June 4, but it certainly raises some eyebrows from people trying to read the tea leaves on Hibbert's offseason intentions.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/04/23/roy-hibbert-indiana-pacers-contract-option-softball/26230571/

Hmmmm...

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When the Indiana Pacers held exit meetings after the season, the six players due to become free agents expressed a desire to return for the 2015-16 campaign, according to Larry Bird, the team's president of basketball operations.

"We've got so much money to spend, it's according to what they want," Bird said. "Some guys told me they didn't care what they got. They wanted to get paid, but they wanted to be here, too. So that makes you feel good."

All six wanting to come back, even after a season in which Indiana struggled and missed the playoffs, speaks to the culture and foundation built by the Pacers. However, not everyone will return as Indiana tries to build a new identity next year.

Who stays? Who's on the fence? And who should've already broken their condo or apartment lease? Let's attempt to answer these questions by predicting the Pacers' priorities once the free agent market opens July 1.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/04/18/pacers-free-agents-who-stays-who-goes-stuckey-allen-scola-sloan-watson-copeland-/26004965/

Good article. Breaks down our 6 free agents and whether or not we will/should bring them back.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Agreed. Worst part is, if West and Hibbert both pick up their player options, our hands are essentially tied. Unless we make a big trade I can't see this team looking much different next season.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Personally I'd like to see both of them pick it up. The idea of losing Hibbert for nothing sounds insane to me, and I can't see us upgrading much over West.

We could pick up a nice player in the draft, but I'm almost positive Bird is going to try to run out Hibbert and draft Frank Kaminsky.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I can't tell if Rondo's a worthwhile reclamation project for Indy after his Dallas meltdown or not.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I'd like to see both of them pick it up. The idea of losing Hibbert for nothing sounds insane to me, and I can't see us upgrading much over West.

We could pick up a nice player in the draft, but I'm almost positive Bird is going to try to run out Hibbert and draft Frank Kaminsky.
Losing Hibbert would free up $15 million. That in itself, is a great return for him.

As for Rondo, we've been linked to being interested in him for quite some time. However, I'm sure Larry will be turned off by Rondo's relationship with Rick Carlisle(who Larry knows very well). Wouldn't hate to see him in Indy but I wouldn't expect it.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Losing Hibbert would free up $15 million. That in itself, is a great return for him.

As for Rondo, we've been linked to being interested in him for quite some time. However, I'm sure Larry will be turned off by Rondo's relationship with Rick Carlisle(who Larry knows very well). Wouldn't hate to see him in Indy but I wouldn't expect it.
15 million dollars for whom though? Who are we going to go after?

We've had 1 big free agent signing in a decade and you want him to opt out.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Nah, 11's high for Payne. Indy'll still draft Kaminsky, but they'll make room for him in the rotation by swapping Hibbert to Boston for the 16th pick and draft Payne there.
I honestly wouldn't even be surprised. Kill me now.

Funny enough, nbadraft.net compares Payne to George Hill. That's just great.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I, for one, am thoroughly excited for the Fun-'N-Gun Pacers.
A run and gun team from a defense first coach who's teams have been at the league bottom in most offensive categories since he hired on. It's going to go great.

But in reality, Larry Bird is just going senile and he's going to ruin the team before he leaves again.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about Ellis. If it's 3 years/$32 mil, that's pretty good value considering he's an impact player. However, he's also a bit of a headcase, doesn't play D, and can't shoot the 3 well. I want to think he'd work well in the starting lineup with Hill, but Hill's not that great off the ball. We also have an incredibly thin frontline to address with that cap space now with West likely out and us moving Hibbert for probably nothing. I'm not very excited about Stanko, Whittington, and Scola seeing extended minutes next year.

I guess at the end of the day it'd just be nice signing a free agent with a name in Indiana. Aside from David West, we never sign good free agents.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
All our free agent targets are dropping like flies. Larry Bird is too cheap for this kind of action. I'm starting to worry about Sacramento stealing Ellis, as well. Hopefully the Kings sign Rondo so Ellis comes to Indy, and the Clippers re-sign Jordan so Dallas needs some Roy Hibbert.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts