Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
All our free agent targets are dropping like flies. Larry Bird is too cheap for this kind of action. I'm starting to worry about Sacramento stealing Ellis, as well. Hopefully the Kings sign Rondo so Ellis comes to Indy, and the Clippers re-sign Jordan so Dallas needs some Roy Hibbert.
I wonder if the Lakers would be interested in Hibbert as well if they strike out. Not sure how I feel about it, but I could see it happening.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I wonder if the Lakers would be interested in Hibbert as well if they strike out. Not sure how I feel about it, but I could see it happening.
Hibbert is reported to have been traded to the Lakers. I have not seen anything official about what the Pacers get back, but it was not rumored to be a lot. This ends up freeing some salary for the Pacers and letting them run more.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hibbert desperately needed a change of scenery. I don't know what happened to the Hibbert that was a beast against the Heat 2-3 years ago. He just seemed to have lost all confidence and looks nothing like the All-Star he used to be. Hopefully he gets his career back on track in LA.

Glad to see we're bringing back Stuckey. He quietly had a great season last year and deserved a solid payday.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
So then who are Indy's big men now?

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
So then who are Indy's big men now?
Lavoy Allen, Ian Mahinmi, and Myles Turner. Believe it or not, Allen's solid. He's a very good rebounder, decent defensively, and has a pretty good mid-range J. I honestly think he's our starter next year and will log around 20-25 mpg. Mahinmi should be good for 25 mpg as well. I know we were targeting George to play 10-15 mpg at PF, but it's looking like it might have to be more than that.

I don't think Turner's ready to be a 3rd big, yet. He looked good in his first summer league game, but he's incredibly raw. His jump shot is absolutely NBA ready and he showed one great turnaround jumper out of the post, but that's about it. He's a shot blocker, but he looks like a JaVale McGee type of shot blocker in that he tries to swat everything and never really goes up straight. He's also pretty weak defending the post and I'm a bit concerned about his rebounding on the pro level.

I'm assuming we're probably going to use the rest of the space Hibbert left us to re-sign Luis Scola. Otherwise, Shayne Whittington might come back, and we're looking at finally signing Stanko Barac. It's a sad state of affairs for your frontline when you either need to sign a guy named Stanko or you're desperately hoping the Lakers include Robert Sacre as a throw-in.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Lavoy Allen, Ian Mahinmi, and Myles Turner. Believe it or not, Allen's solid. He's a very good rebounder, decent defensively, and has a pretty good mid-range J. I honestly think he's our starter next year and will log around 20-25 mpg. Mahinmi should be good for 25 mpg as well. I know we were targeting George to play 10-15 mpg at PF, but it's looking like it might have to be more than that.

I don't think Turner's ready to be a 3rd big, yet. He looked good in his first summer league game, but he's incredibly raw. His jump shot is absolutely NBA ready and he showed one great turnaround jumper out of the post, but that's about it. He's a shot blocker, but he looks like a JaVale McGee type of shot blocker in that he tries to swat everything and never really goes up straight. He's also pretty weak defending the post and I'm a bit concerned about his rebounding on the pro level.

I'm assuming we're probably going to use the rest of the space Hibbert left us to re-sign Luis Scola. Otherwise, Shayne Whittington might come back, and we're looking at finally signing Stanko Barac. It's a sad state of affairs for your frontline when you either need to sign a guy named Stanko or you're desperately hoping the Lakers include Robert Sacre as a throw-in.
Boston's got about one more rotation big than they can reasonably play and a shortage of roster spots after the Johnson and Jerebko signings. Throw us a protected first for Sullinger.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Boston's got about one more rotation big than they can reasonably play and a shortage of roster spots after the Johnson and Jerebko signings. Throw us a protected first for Sullinger.
I know we want our bigs to take a lot more jump shots, but I think the end goal is for them to actually make those jump shots. Sullinger only fits in with one of those two points.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The Indiana Pacers have reached an agreement to acquire forward Chase Budinger in a trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

As part of the deal, Indiana will send forward Damjan Rudez to Minnesota, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Budinger gives the Pacers an additional shooting threat to spread the floor and a versatile small forward who lost playing time with the glut of highly talented young wing players in Minnesota.

Budinger, 27, averaged 6.8 points in 19 minutes a game for the T'wolves last season. In six NBA seasons, including three years in Houston and Minnesota, Budinger has averaged 8.6 points and nearly 36 percent shooting from 3-point range.

Rudez, 29, is from Croatia and came to the NBA a year ago after several professional seasons in Europe. He's shown a penchant for providing value at the stretch-4 position, shooting 40 percent on 3-pointers for the Pacers last season.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--pacers-finalizing-trade-to-acquire-chase-budinger-203116343.html

Love this trade. Low risk as he's in the final year of his contract but could be a high reward if he doesn't have anymore knee problems.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--pacers-finalizing-trade-to-acquire-chase-budinger-203116343.html

Love this trade. Low risk as he's in the final year of his contract but could be a high reward if he doesn't have anymore knee problems.
Seems a little weird to me, since Budinger is more of a swingman than a stretch-4, and (while I admit I didn't watch the Pacers much at all) it looks like Rudez showed some promise as exactly that. Even with the Jordan Hill signing, Indy's frontcourt looks awfully thin at this point.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Seems a little weird to me, since Budinger is more of a swingman than a stretch-4, and (while I admit I didn't watch the Pacers much at all) it looks like Rudez showed some promise as exactly that. Even with the Jordan Hill signing, Indy's frontcourt looks awfully thin at this point.
Awfully thin would be an understatement. I'm sure there will be more moves to come to fix that but if not, we'll be in trouble.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I think we're trying to collect a lot of versatile players so we can trap/switch/double more often on defense. Rudez had an awesome jumper, but Budinger's not a bad shooter and he's better at the rest of the game than Damo. I'm a little woried about his knees, but at least he's expiring.

From what I've read recently, we're looking at starting Paul George at the 4 and giving him 20-25 minutes there, with Miles/Budinger/Solo filling in at the 3. From there, we can give J-Hill/Mahinmi/Allen each around 18-25 mpg to keep them fresh, with Myles Turner and Shayne Whittington filling in the rest.

Still not sure how I feel about this. Our defense is going to be the exact opposite of how we've played the last few years. We have an outstanding collection of guys who can do 2 out of 3 of isolation, cutting, and shooting at the 1-3, but I wonder if we have enough basketballs to go around. We have zero post offense and not too much rim protection if Jordan Hill is starting. Even in the new NBA, I don't think that puts us any higher than 5th-6th in the East.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I think we're trying to collect a lot of versatile players so we can trap/switch/double more often on defense. Rudez had an awesome jumper, but Budinger's not a bad shooter and he's better at the rest of the game than Damo. I'm a little woried about his knees, but at least he's expiring.

From what I've read recently, we're looking at starting Paul George at the 4 and giving him 20-25 minutes there, with Miles/Budinger/Solo filling in at the 3. From there, we can give J-Hill/Mahinmi/Allen each around 18-25 mpg to keep them fresh, with Myles Turner and Shayne Whittington filling in the rest.

Still not sure how I feel about this. Our defense is going to be the exact opposite of how we've played the last few years. We have an outstanding collection of guys who can do 2 out of 3 of isolation, cutting, and shooting at the 1-3, but I wonder if we have enough basketballs to go around. We have zero post offense and not too much rim protection if Jordan Hill is starting. Even in the new NBA, I don't think that puts us any higher than 5th-6th in the East.
Eh, I dunno. I mean, that works with Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala, but I'm skeptical about how it'll work with Chase Budinger and CJ Miles. If Paul George is healthy he'll get them to the playoffs regardless, but I'm not bullish on what the Pacers have done this summer.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Eh, I dunno. I mean, that works with Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala, but I'm skeptical about how it'll work with Chase Budinger and CJ Miles. If Paul George is healthy he'll get them to the playoffs regardless, but I'm not bullish on what the Pacers have done this summer.
I agree. Golden State had some stellar defenders to make their defense work (and Curry wasn't half bad, either). Paul George is pretty good when he doesn't take plays off, and George and Solomon Hill are above average defenders. Otherwise, no one's scared of Monta Ellis, Rodney Stuckey, CJ Miles, Chase Budinger, and Joseph Young on the defensive end. They're all probably average to below-average on defense, and one mental lapse or missed rotation will cause our entire defense to break down.

The frontcourt isn't any better on D. Mahinmi's solid, but Turner won't be able to defend the pick & roll, and Allen/J-Hill aren't going to protect the paint. Not one of them is particularly smart on D, either.

Rather than being top-ten in defense and bottom-ten in offense, I worry that we're going to be top-ten in offense and bottom-ten in defense. Hopefully Vogel continues to emphasize D. These guys can score on their own.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Got to love the Bird/George drama going on right now.

Larry seems like he's hell bent on screwing this team up.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts