Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Moderator
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
March 31, 2006
Pacers facing own eclipse?
By Mike Wells

The Indiana Pacers must have missed the memo that says they're not guaranteed a playoff spot despite talent and an ability to look like a team at times.
What seemed a certainty about a week ago when Jermaine O'Neal returned to the lineup is in question with 11 games left in the regular season.
"We have an 11-game season to make a push to make the playoffs," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "There's nothing guaranteed. We'll find out what we're made of during this stretch. The frequency of games is still there. We're a little banged up, but we have to find a way. I have a lot of confidence in our group."
The Pacers (35-36) fell below .500 for the second time this season. They are a full game behind Milwaukee for the sixth seed in the Eastern Conference. The Pacers have a 21/2-game lead on eighth-seeded Philadelphia and a four-game lead over ninth-place Chicago.
As they've done throughout the season, the Pacers had to play short-handed Thursday.
O'Neal didn't play after straining his left groin against Miami on Monday and aggravating it against Atlanta on Tuesday. O'Neal, who missed 24 straight games after tearing the groin in late January, said he planned to play in Saturday's game at Milwaukee
.
Pacers fans showed little sympathy for their injury-riddled team. The Pacers were booed several times during the game as the Suns were constantly running by them for easy baskets in transition.


Rather than try to match up with the Suns athletically, Carlisle elected to go with a traditional lineup by starting Scot Pollard at center. Carlisle's decision to go big played right into Phoenix's hands, however, because the Suns used their speed and ability, having all five players handle the ball to get transition baskets. Shawn Marion led Phoenix with 29 points. Point guard Steve Nash handed out 13 assists to go with his 15 points.
"Every time we made a run, they met the challenge and came back," Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley said. "They never cooled off."
link



Go PaCeRs!!!!!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,703 Posts
O'Neal has sure had his share of injuries. If everyone is "right" the Pacers are still contenders, but that really looks unlikely.

I gotta throw this out there. I think the Pacers should take a look at Glen "Big Baby" Davis this summer. He isnt going lotto and probably will be around. At 310 he's still mobile, and has NBA potiental in my opinion. He needs a low post player coach to refine his game, and a personal trainer to help him drop 25 extra pounds, but the ability is there. If a team is willing to put some work in with the kid, they can get his weight down a little, so he can get some lift, and then with some coaching, in a year or two, the Pacers organization would look brilliant
 

· Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
unfortunately, i don't believe this team is a contender for anything except a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs. even if everyone were to magicaly be healed. this team has no identity and is in my oppinion, in need of an overhaul like a parapalegic needs a wheelchair.
however this lsu guy you speak of, how tall is he and do you think he could even be available?
i know you don't think he would be lottery material but, who knows- perhaps he could take pollards spot and be ready for most games.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16,528 Posts
clownskull said:
however this lsu guy you speak of, how tall is he and do you think he could even be available?
Glen Davis is like 6'8"-6'9". He'll definitely be available at our pick, unless he has two monster games and LSU wins the national championship. I don't think many teams want to take a risk on him. He has no set position, and no set spot on the court. He hit a 3 during a recent LSU game, but also posts and takes jumpers, even fade aways. He can even slash to the basket. I'd like to have him, but I'm not sure his game would transition well to the pros.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
He is a massive player... but throwing around college players is a lot easier than throwing around NBA players...

I would not be surprised if this kid was taken before the Pacers got a chance to pick... He's one of the more popular name's I've heard...

And there are a lot of lottery teams that need a strong presence in the post...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,703 Posts
the tractor trailor reference to Big Baby is really killing his stock. he could be around.

the top pick on the boards (Thomas) is a bit of a project in himself. Guy needs to add muscle mass, and best case senerio IMO he turns out to be a healthy (inch or two shorter) version of Marcus Camby. Which would be very awesome, but my point is that Thomas in himself is a risky pick.

I would guess Big Baby is 6'8 in shoes and probably was over the 310 lbs he lists at. But he has way more muscle mass than the Tractor, and I'll bet his body fat is already lower.

Trainers just need to keep him lifting (especially his legs) and running. Get the body fat lower. Some weight machines train athletes to increase their lift as well
 

· Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
nbanoitall said:
O'Neal has sure had his share of injuries. If everyone is "right" the Pacers are still contenders, but that really looks unlikely.

I gotta throw this out there. I think the Pacers should take a look at Glen "Big Baby" Davis this summer. He isnt going lotto and probably will be around. At 310 he's still mobile, and has NBA potiental in my opinion. He needs a low post player coach to refine his game, and a personal trainer to help him drop 25 extra pounds, but the ability is there. If a team is willing to put some work in with the kid, they can get his weight down a little, so he can get some lift, and then with some coaching, in a year or two, the Pacers organization would look brilliant
Is he even coming out this year? I'd be surprised. I think he'd be much better off to lose some more weight and play another year in the SEC. By the end of next season, he'd be one of the most high-profile guys in the NCAA and could probably become a Top 5 or at least guareenteed lottery pick.

As for him coming to Indy, not sure I'd want that. With his weight and height (only 6'9" with little vertical to speak of), I don't think he'd ever be any better than possibly a fringe starter and more like a decent rotation guy. I'm thinking Mike Sweetney/Clarence Weatherspoon potential. I guess that's not all that bad for a 20th pick, but I'd rather look for a diamond in the rough, David Harrison type guy.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,703 Posts
JayRedd said:
Is he even coming out this year? I'd be surprised. I think he'd be much better off to lose some more weight and play another year in the SEC. By the end of next season, he'd be one of the most high-profile guys in the NCAA and could probably become a Top 5 or at least guareenteed lottery pick.

As for him coming to Indy, not sure I'd want that. With his weight and height (only 6'9" with little vertical to speak of), I don't think he'd ever be any better than possibly a fringe starter and more like a decent rotation guy. I'm thinking Mike Sweetney/Clarence Weatherspoon potential. I guess that's not all that bad for a 20th pick, but I'd rather look for a diamond in the rough, David Harrison type guy.
is he coming out? after getting far in the tournament, someone will give him a first round guarantee, tryrus thomas is going to be one of the top picks so he has to come out, so I'd expect Big Baby to follow. Assuming he gets a guarantee in the first round.

This is where I disagree, i think the sweetney and weatherspoon comparisons (and trailor) are really hurting his stock, but i disagree with them. Sweetney is a fatty. Big Baby has a wide muscular frame, and he is a skilled player. More skilled than sweetney or Spoon. Sweets and Spoon dont have the muscle mass this guy has.

My actual opinion is Big Baby doesnt need to loose a lot of weight. He just needs to drop body fat, then he will be good to go.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
nbanoitall said:
This is where I disagree, i think the sweetney and weatherspoon comparisons (and trailor) are really hurting his stock, but i disagree with them. Sweetney is a fatty. Big Baby has a wide muscular frame, and he is a skilled player. More skilled than sweetney or Spoon. Sweets and Spoon dont have the muscle mass this guy has.

My actual opinion is Big Baby doesnt need to loose a lot of weight. He just needs to drop body fat, then he will be good to go.
CMon though....This guy is fat. That game didn't even seem all that high-paced and he was draaaaaggging *** out there. Sweetney was never ever this fat. And in college the guy was actually pretty cut up. I don't think we need him. I think he'd fit in well with all the other undersized PFs on the Knicks though.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,703 Posts
JayRedd said:
CMon though....This guy is fat. That game didn't even seem all that high-paced and he was draaaaaggging *** out there. Sweetney was never ever this fat. And in college the guy was actually pretty cut up. I don't think we need him. I think he'd fit in well with all the other undersized PFs on the Knicks though.
i would bet, to date the Sweetney has a higher body fat total than Big Baby. Big Baby can weigh 290 or even 300 lbs, he just has to drop the baby fat if he wants to do that. Im giving Big Baby credit for being as muscular as he is. Big Baby has skills that Sweets doesnt have, plus he already is stronger. Davis just needs a coach to show him to to use that muscle in the post.

I realize Big Baby is going to have to turn 25 to 30lbs into muscle (or just get rid of it). That will likely take him longer than just this summer (maybe his whole rookie year), but Im just reccommending you not let the Sweetney, or Tractor Trailor reference keep you from being interested in Glen Davis, because I think he will turn out different
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top