Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first round matchup as of now, and it is pretty clear that it isn't safe for the Pacers to be in Detroit 2-4 times in about 2 weeks. Something is going to happen, it just is. So, I think they should make Detroit lose their home court advantage for this series. Indiana has been punished all year through the suspensions, but nothing for the Pistons. Well because of their lack of security, their home games should be held at a neutral place during the playoffs. The place that I propose, Milwaukee. Not too far from Detroit, and Milwaukee isn't going to be in the playoffs. So this is how the series would be played in.

1-MIL
2-MIL
3-IND
4-IND
5-MIL
6-IND
7-MIL

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
That might be good for the safety of the Pacers, although I'm not sure how much it would help. The benefit is that the Pistons would be punished more like how they should have been, but there is no way that happens.

·
Registered
708 Posts
sloth said:
This is the first round matchup as of now, and it is pretty clear that it isn't safe for the Pacers to be in Detroit 2-4 times in about 2 weeks. Something is going to happen, it just is. So, I think they should make Detroit lose their home court advantage for this series. Indiana has been punished all year through the suspensions, but nothing for the Pistons. Well because of their lack of security, their home games should be held at a neutral place during the playoffs. The place that I propose, Milwaukee. Not too far from Detroit, and Milwaukee isn't going to be in the playoffs. So this is how the series would be played in.

This is stupid. Indiana has been punished with suspensions, but it was their players that started punching fans. And Ben was suspended as well. You say "something is going to happen." Like what? A fake bomb threat again. Those are real dangerous. And if you think the Pistons have a lack of security you are out your mind. Speaking as someone who has been to games since the Brawl, they have very very good security now.

This is an unbelievably stupid thread rehashing old stuff that we have already gone over 10,000 times. There is no reason to punish the Pistons simply because you thing something will happen.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
sloth said:

1-MIL
2-MIL
3-IND
4-IND
5-MIL
6-IND
7-MIL
Yeah, Detroit should definitely be severely punished because their lack of security allowed someone to call in a bomb threat. I mean, what are they thinking? You know, having phones and all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JNice said:
Yeah, Detroit should definitely be severely punished because their lack of security allowed someone to call in a bomb threat. I mean, what are they thinking? You know, having phones and all. :rolleyes:
and letting players jump in the stands to attack fans......Letting a riot start, chairs thrown and what not.....Letting fans on the court....and don't say that Artest going in the stands couldn't be prevented. At most nba arenas they have someone between Artest and the crowd....but you know, none of this happened.....you know it just happens all the time in other NBA cities.....its really safe for the Pacers to play in Detroit, next thing you know a sniper will snipe JO or SJ in the first round playoff series.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
sloth said:
and letting players jump in the stands to attack fans......Letting a riot start, chairs thrown and what not.....Letting fans on the court....and don't say that Artest going in the stands couldn't be prevented. At most nba arenas they have someone between Artest and the crowd....but you know, none of this happened.....you know it just happens all the time in other NBA cities.....its really safe for the Pacers to play in Detroit, next thing you know a sniper will snipe JO or SJ in the first round playoff series.

Well, avoiding the past incident which has already been done over a million times ... obviously the security in not only Detroit but pretty much every Arena in the league has been beefed up and protocol has been re-vamped. Detroit is just as safe as every other Arena in the league. To say Detroit should be punished by playing on a neutral court is ridiculous.

A sniper? :laugh: I think you watch too many movies. And if someone was hellbent on doing that, what makes you think they wouldn't be able to do that in Milwaukee?

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
JNice said:
Well, avoiding the past incident which has already been done over a million times ... obviously the security in not only Detroit but pretty much every Arena in the league has been beefed up and protocol has been re-vamped. Detroit is just as safe as every other Arena in the league. To say Detroit should be punished by playing on a neutral court is ridiculous.

A sniper? :laugh: I think you watch too many movies. And if someone was hellbent on doing that, what makes you think they wouldn't be able to do that in Milwaukee?
Because Milwaukee actally has good security, they can actually stop fans from going onto the court. Unlike some teams.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JNICE, I take it you haven't been to Milwaukee. They got like lock down security in the Bradley Center for games. It just makes it more enjoyable at games because they throw the drunks out of the stadium that are causing a problem and all. It is a much more enjoyable atmosphere to watch a game in, and a lot safer for the players.

Not saying they can't put the Pistons stuff on the court and stuff to make it look like a Pistons home game, and do all the music and stuff and jumbotron, and mascots and cheerleaders like they would in Detroit, just getting the Pistons vs. Pacers series out of Detroit because it seems unsafe for the Pacers to play there.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I kind of like the idea for the safety of my team, but I doubt anyone from Michigan likes it. Besides, Stern won't do it just because of a bomb threat. Say a fan jumps on the court during game 1 and punches a Pacer. That might be enough to play in Milwaukee, but until a threat is acted upon, I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
It's a flat-out unfair situation you offered. If Detroit plays Indiana in the first round or any round, there's no reason why games should be played elsewhere other than Detroit. You might say "It's unfair for Indiana to play in Detroit because of bomb threats and their fans" but it didn't stop them from beating Detroit at full strength in Detroit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Pistons have the worst fans on the face of any american pro sports team. Not all are bad, but they have proven on several occasions this year that they deserve to have consequences for their actions. Anyone who doesnt see how lopsided the punishment was, is a morono.

They should have their team taken away from them IMO, or suspend it for the year...like Artest.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
sloth said:
JNICE, I take it you haven't been to Milwaukee. They got like lock down security in the Bradley Center for games. It just makes it more enjoyable at games because they throw the drunks out of the stadium that are causing a problem and all.
And how many games have you been to at the Palace to be in a position to comment on such a thing?

They throw out trouble makers at the Palace too, just like they do at every arena in the country.

Security is prepared to protect players on the court, you put them in an impossible situation when you run 10 rows up into the stands to start a fight.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Theo! said:
It's basically taking away Home Court Advantage, which shouldn't be done unless all 7 games are in Milwaukee
You wouldn't even know what an NBA game is like to be in the arena, so I don't really know how you can talk on the arena.

Indiana is 2-0 against Detroit in Detroit. So I don't really how its taking home court away from the Pistons, whenever the Pacers come into Detroit they have extra motivation and they always seem to beat them.

Along the time of the fight, a foreign poster commented on how in soccer, that when a team has problem with its fans, and fights and stuff happen and the fans just can't behave, they will play the games in an empty arena with not fans. That is always an option. It is the teams responsibility to protect fans and players alike, and obviously when the Pacers and Pistons there is always some problems with a few stupid Pistons fans.

Of course this is definitely not happening, and Stern when he realized these 2 teams would be playing each other in the playoffs, that is when he said that Artest couldn't come back for the playoffs.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Theo! said:
It's basically taking away Home Court Advantage, which shouldn't be done unless all 7 games are in Milwaukee
Detroit has deserved to have their homecourt advantage taken away. You can't just say it was handfull of fans, because on the night of the brawl, hundreds, if not thousands of people were throwing objects onto the court.

When Detroit come to Indy, people wear "Pacers subs vs. Detroit thugs" t-shirts.

When Indy goes to Detroit, people call in bomb threats.

Number of arrests at the Palace: 100+
Number of arrests at Conseco: 12

Are you noticing a difference?

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KokoTheMonkey said:
Detroit has earned homecourt advantage in the first round, and this alone tells why:

Detroit: 43-26, good enough for 2nd in the East. Case closed.
But Detroit has also earned to put another team's players in constant danger with that record? Its not about home court advantage and what not, its about the NBA protecting its players, and players from Indiana are clearly not safe.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts