Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mysterious unemployment of Cedric Benson seems close to its end.

The 29-year-old running back, who rushed for 1,067 yards last season in Cincinnati, seems close to joining the Packers.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen tweeted the news Friday afternoon that Benson was in Green Bay, and expected to sign.

The Packers took a look at James Starks in exactly one game before making the move. Their own guy, Ryan Grant, hasn’t found a home after they allowed him to walk as a free agent, but Benson’s more of an inside runner.

Others had been rumored to be interested in Benson, notably the Raiders. But even though he goes against grain of typical Ted Thompson moves, he does give them a more proven option in the backfield.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/10/report-cedric-benson-close-to-joining-packers/

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Nice talent additional but he's not going to get 25 carries a night. He should be a nice dynamic on those cold snowy days where its tough to throw.

Overall its a really nice add, curious how it will all play out though.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
I'm thinking something like 15 carries a night for him. Good inside runner to pair with Kuhn and Starks. I feel that backfield will help the offense greatly.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
he's probably better than starks
At some things, definitely. They are different players though, and Starks seems like a much better fit on paper. However that might be exactly why they like Benson, because they'll be able to attack in another way that they weren't able to before. He'll be great for running down the clock, goalline carries, when they want to go big and have Kuhn/Finley/Benson all in the backfield (I forget what they call that package where the TE and FB are parallel with eachother in the backfield with the RB in the middle of them a few yards back)

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
At some things, definitely. They are different players though, and Starks seems like a much better fit on paper. However that might be exactly why they like Benson, because they'll be able to attack in another way that they weren't able to before. He'll be great for running down the clock, goalline carries, when they want to go big and have Kuhn/Finley/Benson all in the backfield (I forget what they call that package where the TE and FB are parallel with eachother in the backfield with the RB in the middle of them a few yards back)
That is going to be nasty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts