Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of this morning, the Detroit Pistons score 52% of their points in the paint. 18.6% of their points come off threes. 12.9% come off midrange twos and the remaining 16.5% come at the free throw line.

The interesting thing with this stat is that no other NBA team scores even 50% of their points in the paint.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Blazers are the league's most reliant team on jump shots. They score only 32.2% of their points in the paint while scoring a league-leading 28.3% on three pointers and 22.6% on midrange two-pointers (good for third in the league).

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
I know all about the Pistons scoring in the paint. They destroyed the Lakers in Detroit scoring in the paint. I still can't believe we won that game.

Now imagine if Josh Smith stopped taking jump shots. That percentage would be even higher.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
I wonder what percentage of their points in the fourth quarter are scored in the paint. I'd throw money on a number close to the Blazers gamelong numbers.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder what percentage of their points in the fourth quarter are scored in the paint. I'd throw money on a number close to the Blazers gamelong numbers.
44.0%... second in the league. The 76ers actually lead the league in paint point percentage in the 4th quarter at 47.6%.

Looks like paint points are harder to come by across the board in the 4th.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
44.0%... second in the league. The 76ers actually lead the league in paint point percentage in the 4th quarter at 47.6%.

Looks like paint points are harder to come by across the board in the 4th.
Absolutely amazed that they're second in the league. They turn into chuckers as soon as the quarter turns.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely amazed that they're second in the league. They turn into chuckers as soon as the quarter turns.
That's 44.0% of their points scored... not 44% of their shot attempts. If they shoot from the outside and miss, that doesn't factor into this percentage.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
That's 44.0% of their points scored... not 44% of their shot attempts. If they shoot from the outside and miss, that doesn't factor into this percentage.
Good good point. I misread that. That would make sense. Where are you getting these numbers by quarter? I'm curious as to their shooting percentage in the 1st three quarters next to their shooting percentage in the last quarter of the game. I wouldn't doubt if they're considerably lower in the fourth quarter, by a margin that is greater than that of the other squads in the league.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Pistons are actually third from last in the league in 4th quarter FG% at 39.7%.

All the stats you desire are at: stats.nba.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts