Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I am a little puzzled why they went with Pape. Mitchell didn't even give Pape a chance on the floor so how can he really evaluate his performance? On the other hand, Mr. Araujo has had a number of opportunities in which he's struggled. Araujo should be the one going to Arkansas.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
People overlook how incredibly RAW Pape Sow truly is. Not just with offensive skills but with defensive skills and bball IQ as well. He needs tons of PT and personal attention.

Say what you will about Hoff but he is a more skilled player and a stronger player in the paint. And even he is only getting 5mpg. Giving Sow those 5mpg wont' develop him any more than it will develop Hoff. Its just not enough.

And Sam has made it painfully clear with his rotations that defense and rebounding alone are not enough to get PT. Bonner plays because he is smart. He knows where to be on D and reads the scouting report on his man. Plus he is a skilled shooter. Sam values that more than just size and rebounding.

Woods would be playing ahead of Aaron, Hoff, and Bonner if it were really about rebounding.

Hoff needs to adjust to the length and speed of nba players. Sow needs to learn how to play basketball. I think thats the difference. NBDL can't help Hoff at all. They don't have the athletes down there to help Hoff adjust. It can help Sow. He is already athletic enough to play in the nba, but needs the fundamentals.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Slasher said:
I am a little puzzled why they went with Pape. Mitchell didn't even give Pape a chance on the floor so how can he really evaluate his performance? On the other hand, Mr. Araujo has had a number of opportunities in which he's struggled. Araujo should be the one going to Arkansas.
maybe sam saw something in practice that pape needed to work on but I agree with you though Araujo should be the one going down to the NBDL

·
Registered
268 Posts
lucky777s said:
People overlook how incredibly RAW Pape Sow truly is. Not just with offensive skills but with defensive skills and bball IQ as well. He needs tons of PT and personal attention.
The other point of concern is that the team in Arkansas may not have the same philosophy when it comes to developing Araujo's game - that team is in that league to win and may encourage Araujo to concentrate on offense to the detriment of improving his defence and rebounding - which are really what the Raptors would like him to provide... Pape is pretty much a blank slate on both sides of the floor so even getting some offensive seasoning would be a plus...

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
So what kind of promise do we have from the RimRockers that Pape will get playing time and have plays run for him and such?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
y wasnt araujo sent down as well? let's see him dominate against NBDL players, n den mayb he can get some confidence.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
speedythief said:
So what kind of promise do we have from the RimRockers that Pape will get playing time and have plays run for him and such?
None.. they affiliated with 3 other teams and have their own agenda.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Benis007 said:
None.. they affiliated with 3 other teams and have their own agenda.
Well I imagine thats true, I would still think the Raps org would have that discussion with the Rim Rockers before sendng him down.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Good - I Have Feelings This Guy Is Gon' Learn A Lot In The NBDL, And Once He Comes Back Hes Gon Be A Good Player.
Atleast > Hope So

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Here's the roster before Pape Sow:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/arkansas/roster.html

So far, they only have 2 PF's and 1 C. Both PF's are list as 6'9 ranging from 245-250 lbs. while the C (notably, James Lang) is listed as 6'10 at 285 lbs. From that list I would say him and Lang will be sharing close to the same amount minutes at C, maybe even give the nod moreso to Sow since he's had some NBA experience.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
i'm guessing that it's an experiment, one that might actually have as much to do with the raptors as pape sow. just build a relationship with the coaches in arkansas, learn how they conduct their business overall, then be in a better position to assess how valuable the same experience could become for other players down the road.

as for pape, who knows? i hope there have been some discussions behind closed doors to all but guarantee him a 'better' basketball experience in the big picture, but the more i think about it now the more i start to believe that he might not have much reason to head down there at all. i don't know. time will tell.

but really, pape sow has seen the spotlight in toronto. he might've already hit a wall of some kind. maybe any change will do him some good and jump-start his machine. time will tell.

peace

·
Registered
609 Posts
We'll miss you Big Papa Sow.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Pretty cool. I think Pape will probably be more excited to play rather than disappointed to being sent down. He won't be down all season anyway. Another team to follow! Gotta love player development baby! Hope it goes well.

Shall we make this the thread to follow his progress?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts