Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past two weeks Parker has started to meet the high expectations the Spurs hold for him. In the past seven games he's shot 46.9 percent while averaging 18 points, more than four points per game better than what he was previously averaging. His improvement has coincided with that of Tim Duncan, boosting the confidence of the rest of their teammates.

"I think when the guys see Tony Parker full speed again and being a pain in the butt on the court it innervates them," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

It's no secret why Parker has regained his own energy. His right shoulder no longer aches. The tightness in his back has lessened. His left ankle, which had slowed him since training camp, finally feels sturdy enough to allow him to cut and start and stop quickly. He appears to have fought through the fatigue that has hung on him since the summer.

"I feel like I can penetrate as much as I want," Parker said. "I feel more comfortable with my shot now. I feel more confident to do the things I was doing last year. I feel like I'm back."

Now that Parker is healthy, the Spurs need him to consistently complement Duncan's scoring or make it easier for someone else to do the same. Popovich said he wanted Parker to shoulder more of the scoring responsibilities last season — the Spurs went 20-1 when he reached 20 points — because backup Speedy Claxton could be called upon to act as a distributor if needed.

This season Popovich wants Parker to do both: score and involve his teammates.

Link

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
After watching Tony Parker struggle AND the Spurs struggle, I realized he means more to this team than I thought. When he is playing good ball, the Spurs are playing good ball.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
well parker had 9 asissts tonight... kinda weird seeing him pass more than shoot, which is a good thing. plus when he shoots it looks so much better, and he's not forcing anything. his quickness came back also. i'm so happy he's back to his old self

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
After watching Tony Parker struggle AND the Spurs struggle, I realized he means more to this team than I thought. When he is playing good ball, the Spurs are playing good ball.
I admit I've also underestimated his importance to the team.

Nice work on getting the ball to his teammates at the right moment at the right spot tonight (9 assists).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Tony has been severely criticized since the begining of the season for not being good enough in the distribution, and knowing the guy , he surely wants to prove that his detractors were wrong. The lone fact that he dished out 9 assists is really positive.With both Duncan and parker in shape , S.A is a new team.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts