Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to bring up the point that Parker is probably having the best season for a Spurs PG in nearly 30 years, dating back to James Silas. In 75-76 in the ABA, Silas averaged 23.8 PPG and 5.4 APG shooting 52% from the field. After that, the rest of Silas' seasons aren't really that great. Johhny Moore averaged a few double-doubles, but I'd rather take 17 PPG and 6 APG than 13 PPG and 10 APG. Then of course, there was Avery Johnson that was very comparable to Moore statistically. Just thought I'd bring that up. It's been a long while (About 3 decades) since a Spurs PG has performed this well.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
in around 8 yrs he will be the franchise

11,213 Posts
IMO Tony will be the best PG the Spurs ever had. But do ya'll think he'll ever be the best PG in the league? I think he's currently top 5. He has the ability to be top 3 IMO, but he's to inconsitent rite now. What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, his jump shot right now is preventing him from being anywhere near the best PG in the league. If he was knocking down three's, jumpshots, and free throws all at better percentages, he really wouldn't be that far off. People really sleep on this guy.

With how much he has improved this season, I think the argument is stronger that he's still got the potential to be a top 5 PG. His jump shot and decision making are going to determine just how good he becomes. He's already made huge strides in consistency (Although non Spurs fans are ignoring that), so who's to say he's not going to improve his jump shot?

11,213 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
Well, his jump shot right now is preventing him from being anywhere near the best PG in the league. If he was knocking down three's, jumpshots, and free throws all at better percentages, he really wouldn't be that far off. People really sleep on this guy.

With how much he has improved this season, I think the argument is stronger that he's still got the potential to be a top 5 PG. His jump shot and decision making are going to determine just how good he becomes. He's already made huge strides in consistency (Although non Spurs fans are ignoring that), so who's to say he's not going to improve his jump shot?
know anywhere I can find stats of his jump shot percentage since his rookie year? It seems like his shot is getting worse rather than better.

11,213 Posts
Kunlun said:
His free throws have certainly gotten worse this year.But everything else has improved.
Everything but his jumpshot I think. I really doubt his jump shot was worse last year than this year.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
He has had a very good season this year, although he is still somewhat inconsistent. He is not anywhere near the top PG in the league as of now, but he is close to being a top 5 point guard. His shot needs to become much more consistent, and he needs to attack the hoop more, especially when his shots aren't dropping.

He has however improved his consistency each year, and probably could become one of the best PG's, if not the best, a couple years down the line. He has the talent to do it. He is possibly the fastest PG in the league, has a good shot(although its inconsistent), and is an above average decision maker. He has the tools to be the best, he just needs to keep working.

·
Registered
752 Posts
ezealen said:
Everything but his jumpshot I think. I really doubt his jump shot was worse last year than this year.
I don't know about his midrange J... IMO he still knocks them down.
His 3 downgraded big time but he doesn't take enough of them to get in rythm. I guess his last 3pt was against Miami :cry: and If I remember correctly it was an off balanced J beating the 24sec clock.
His FT downgraded a lot as well.

True he is having a tremendous season and probably having one of the best combo ever of points/assists for a PG here in SA, good point Koko.

Bottom line
Unlike Beno and Rasho TP will play the Euro championships this summer wth France... too bad :curse:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well , Tony said he would play for france and he will be true to his word . He is the best French player and won't turn Down the selection like (too) many players do . You have to praise such a good attitude . Don't be selfish , we need him too over here :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
My Spurs consistency ranking this year :

1. Ginobili : 8.35
2. Duncan : 8.16
3. Parker : 7.08
4. Nesterovic : 6.83
5. Horry : 6.27
6. Udrih : 5.78
7. Bowen : 5.62
8. Barry : 5.00
9. Brown : 4.90
10. Massenburg : 4.65

Who said Parker is inconsistent? Like you said Koko, Spurs fans knows it isn't true anymore...

If you take Tony's stats except November, you will have something like
18/6/4 with 54% shooting and 35% 3PTS.

Unconsistency can only be associated with his shooting. I agree DaBobZ, He often makes his jumpers when he takes them into a rythm. His FT technique is still ugly (he shoots too fast), and will need to improve that in the future to be considered as a top 3 PG.

What is a good point for him this season, it'is that he still can contribute when his shooting touch is off.

11,213 Posts
mr_french_basketball said:
My Spurs consistency ranking this year :

1. Ginobili : 8.35
2. Duncan : 8.16
3. Parker : 7.08
4. Nesterovic : 6.83
5. Horry : 6.27
6. Udrih : 5.78
7. Bowen : 5.62
8. Barry : 5.00
9. Brown : 4.90
10. Massenburg : 4.65

Who said Parker is inconsistent? Like you said Koko, Spurs fans knows it isn't true anymore...

If you take Tony's stats except November, you will have something like
18/6/4 with 54% shooting and 35% 3PTS.

Unconsistency can only be associated with his shooting. I agree DaBobZ, He often makes his jumpers when he takes them into a rythm. His FT technique is still ugly (he shoots too fast), and will need to improve that in the future to be considered as a top 3 PG.

What is a good point for him this season, it'is that he still can contribute when his shooting touch is off.
He's becoming more consistent as of late, but I still think he's too inconsistent. Next year will be the start of his prime IMO. Expect Tony in the ASG aswell next year :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I guess it's safe to say that Parker has had the best season for a Spurs PG in nearly three decades.

I think the main reason why Parker has had such a good season this year is because of his shot selection, and aggressiveness. When everybody's healthy, he hasn't been forcing shots and has really picked his spots well. He's really improved his ability to know when to take it to the rack and when to pass it out to teammates. Plus, his tear-drop/floater in the paint is almost as automatic as a Duncan bank-shot or Bowen wide-open corner 3. He's really perfected that shot. Defensively he's also been much-improved. This season he has finally started to take advantage of his quickness on the defensive end by striping the ball away from players and putting face-to-face pressure on his man. That's been one of his biggest improvements.

Since we're already on Parker, he has always improved his numbers in the playoffs from the regular season, so if he follows that trend, he might be scoring 20 PPG in the playoffs. He averaged 18 in last year's playoffs, so that's not completely out of the question.

11,213 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
I think the main reason why Parker has had such a good season this year is because of his shot selection, and aggressiveness.
I think it's cuz he's trying to show Manu up :biggrin: . He really picked up his game and consistency after the ASG

·
Registered
256 Posts
i think what i really like about him is that he's only 22.... he's having a good year and hes still pretty young.... i'm happy and can certainly live with the way he's playing

·
Registered
287 Posts
As I have noted here before, I am not in love with Tony Parker, nor have I ever been. However he is having a very good season. It would seem like he is becoming more mature, the main places I have seen this is in the way that the "down" times after Pop has chewed him out don't last as long as they used to. He knows his role and he is taking advantage of it.

That said, he will never be the best point guard in the NBA and may never be regarded as a top 5 PG 1) because he plays for SA (and us San Antonio folks love talking about the small market bias), 2) because he plays alongside the best PF the league has ever seen and thus will never be the go to guy and 3) as has been mentioned here, his jumpshot can get better, but I think it will always be a little inconsistent (not that that ever stopped Avery)

So, I am still not drinking the Tony Parker kool-aid, and I will forever find things to get mad at him for, but the way he is going right now, it will become harder and harder for me to do that.

11,213 Posts
Guth said:
As I have noted here before, I am not in love with Tony Parker, nor have I ever been. However he is having a very good season. It would seem like he is becoming more mature, the main places I have seen this is in the way that the "down" times after Pop has chewed him out don't last as long as they used to. He knows his role and he is taking advantage of it.

That said, he will never be the best point guard in the NBA and may never be regarded as a top 5 PG 1) because he plays for SA (and us San Antonio folks love talking about the small market bias), 2) because he plays alongside the best PF the league has ever seen and thus will never be the go to guy and 3) as has been mentioned here, his jumpshot can get better, but I think it will always be a little inconsistent (not that that ever stopped Avery)

So, I am still not drinking the Tony Parker kool-aid, and I will forever find things to get mad at him for, but the way he is going right now, it will become harder and harder for me to do that.
I loved all your posts before this one. No offense, Parker's just my boy.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
ditto parker is my fav or second fav spur tim is the other one.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The same here . Favourite player in my favourite NBA team .

Concering the changes in his game , I think that we should keep in mind that he is now a stronger player and will get even stronger lately . It helps alot when it comes to score , all the more when you rely a lot on the mid range floaters like tony . His improved physical abilities helped to raise his confidence as well . And you can see it in his game : last year , he was kind od trying to play like the "academical" PG , shooting more threes , he was not looking free but seemed to be all the time trying to respect the role he was supposed to play . This year , Tony plays like he has always played , relying a lot on his instinct and not being hampered by his wish to do well .

Regarding his consistency , I think that it's unfair to reproach him not to do well , since he has vastly enhanced this part of his game this year . There are still lots of things to fix up in his game (free throws , threes for instance) but i'm convinced that he won't stop working until he is regarded as one of the best PG in the league , if not the best. The man is proud , and that is may be his biggest asset at this point .

1 - 20 of 48 Posts