Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to not get this board shut down before the end of the year, here's how the League is shaping up this year:

Bucknell 4 - 1 0.800 17 - 4 .810 W1
Lehigh 4 - 1 0.800 14 - 5 .737 L1
Lafayette 3 - 2 0.600 10 - 12 .455 W2
Holy Cross 2 - 3 0.400 10 - 10 .500 L2
Army 2 - 3 0.400 9 - 11 .450 W1
Colgate 2 - 3 0.400 8 - 13 .381 W2
American 2 - 3 0.400 7 - 13 .350 L1
Navy 1 - 4 0.200 7 - 14 .333 L2

Looks like a two-horse race as expected - both Bucknell and Lehigh look fantastic. Navy was expected to be down again this year, but Lafayette maybe a pleasant surprise?

Bucknell-Lehigh Round I looked like a war, with Lehigh stealing the win on the road (but they just dropped one yesterday to Lafayette). Round II, on 2/18 at Lehigh will probably decide the regular season title.

Can Lafayette steal another one from the top 2 teams?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wonder how BU and Loyola would fare in the league this year. The RPI's would place both of them in the gaping chasm between Buck/Lehigh (44/84) and Lafayette (216)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lafayette played reasonable OOC schedule pretty well, and is always well-coached. I think big surprise is the struggle AU is having. Army, Holy Cross and Lafayette now seem like the middle of the pack. You really cannot show up against anyone and expect a walkover. The best overall conference stat is... attendance, up dramatically outside Hamilton, NY.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Just posted this on the AE forum because they were comparing the AE to the CAA in terms of conference RPI.

Patriot is in good shape at #20 (ahead of CAA, Ivy, AE, NEC) and adding Loyola and BU, two of the top RPI teams from their respective leagues year in and year out. So the Patriot gets a bump and those two leagues take a small step back.

Bottom line: I think the Patriot will be in a fight with the CAA, Ivy and MAAC for the third best basketball league in the northeast after the C7 league and the new A10. I think most years they'll win that fight, especially if the new A10 further raids the CAA (Mason, Drexel) and the MAAC (Siena, Fairfield, etc).

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just posted this on the AE forum because they were comparing the AE to the CAA in terms of conference RPI.

Patriot is in good shape at #20 (ahead of CAA, Ivy, AE, NEC) and adding Loyola and BU, two of the top RPI teams from their respective leagues year in and year out. So the Patriot gets a bump and those two leagues take a small step back.

Bottom line: I think the Patriot will be in a fight with the CAA, Ivy and MAAC for the third best basketball league in the northeast after the C7 league and the new A10. I think most years they'll win that fight, especially if the new A10 further raids the CAA (Mason, Drexel) and the MAAC (Siena, Fairfield, etc).

It's a #20 RPI for a league that is REALLY top-heavy though. After Bucknell and Lehigh at 44 and 84 (according to bbstate.com), it's a long drop to RPIs of 215, 216, 250, 284, 287, 322. The league won't always have 2 such dominant teams, but plunking solid BU and Loyola squads into the middle should do much to stabilize the league at a pretty good level.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It's a #20 RPI for a league that is REALLY top-heavy though. After Bucknell and Lehigh at 44 and 84 (according to bbstate.com), it's a long drop to RPIs of 215, 216, 250, 284, 287, 322. The league won't always have 2 such dominant teams, but plunking solid BU and Loyola squads into the middle should do much to stabilize the league at a pretty good level.
True, but RPI could actually be better in the future. It's pretty easy to see that American and Holy Cross will be better most years if the past is any indication. BU should be better. Bucknell won't be this high, but they are always very good. Lehigh will inevitably come down a bit. I don't know what to expect from Army, Navy and Colgate.

·
Registered
225 Posts

I can see the Patriot being even or better than the MAAC and CAA each year (whether any changes to those leagues or not)- behind C7 and A10. Most years a one bid league but some years as a two bid league. The PL is definitely making strides and it seems more promising for Army and Navy next year.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Without McCollum, I just think Bucknell is the overwhelming favorite. I don't think the conference tourney will be a cakewalk, but the Bison should roll.

Can't count out Lehigh because they have The Kurgan, but I think this year in the P-League there can be only one (bid).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bucknell's loss to Lehigh basically did in their at-large chances. Winning at Mizzou would have been stellar, but instead it's a near-miss for the Tigers and gets largely forgotten by March, sadly.

Short of two NCAA bids, getting one to the NIT along with the champ in the NCAA, with the possibility of 2 or 3 total postseason wins is probably the ceiling this year. For the sake of argument, I'd say the best shot is Bucknell in the NCAA (could be a 13 seed, pretty good shot to beat a 4), and have Lehigh go to the NIT and maybe grab two wins.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The conference battle is still two schools, fighting for what is likely one NCAA bid. One of 'the rest' is going to get at least Hawk or Bison pelt along the way, and the Bucknell/Lehigh rubber match(es) will be about as much fun as we can hope for in a season. Enjoy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bucknell's loss to Lehigh basically did in their at-large chances. Winning at Mizzou would have been stellar, but instead it's a near-miss for the Tigers and gets largely forgotten by March, sadly.

Short of two NCAA bids, getting one to the NIT along with the champ in the NCAA, with the possibility of 2 or 3 total postseason wins is probably the ceiling this year. For the sake of argument, I'd say the best shot is Bucknell in the NCAA (could be a 13 seed, pretty good shot to beat a 4), and have Lehigh go to the NIT and maybe grab two wins.

There is still hope for 2 NCAA bids. Bucknell's RPI is 58 and Lehigh is 75. I think there is some consideration on what a team did last year in the tournament which helps Lehigh. Its a long shot, but still possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts