Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy shit.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Bucs traded CB Aqib Talib to New England.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Patriots acquire CB Aqib Talib from Bucs

Aaron Schatz

Talib last year: 64% suc rate (6th) and 5.5 yd/pass (9th) in 13 games

@FO_ASchatz

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Details

Tampa Bay Buccaneers ‏@TBBuccaneers

The trade details: CB Aqib Talib and a 2013 7th-round pick for a 2013 4th-round pick.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Supposing he can stay out of trouble this is a STEAL by the Pats. If he keeps his act up, and can't stay out of trouble it's a nice move by the Bucs to acquire assets for the future and clear cap. Time will dictate who the winner of this deal is.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
More trouble than he's worth IMO. Talented guy for sure, but honestly I'm surprised and pleased we got a 4th for him.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
And a criminal defense attorney to be named later
Hah.

It makes a lot of sense here. If you have a problem guy, you need a bunch of vets, a big name coach, and a short leash. Getting him out of Florida also helps.

He might be the best CB on the Pats now.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:laugh:

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
I mentioned this in the week 14 thread, but it more properly belongs here. One huge positive that Talib has brought is that New England finally has two cover corners that can take receivers without help. Meaning that the safeties can finally focus on protecting the middle of the field and Mayo has finally been turned loose. Up until now Mayo's been a tackling machine that cleaned up everyone else's mess. But didn't make a ton of high impact plays. Since adding Talib to pair with Dennard the Patriots have been letting Mayo wreck havoc on opposing offenses. As long as Talib is healthy I have faith that this team can make the Superbowl, whereas a few weeks ago I was just hoping to see them put up a good postseason fight.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yeah, that pass D looked better than it has in quite some time. They're probably the team that nobody in the AFC wants to face at this point.

I'm not as sold on Houston being a SB contender after seeing Wade and his blitzes get smoked by Aaron Rodgers and now Tom Brady on national TV.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
Yeah, that pass D looked better than it has in quite some time. They're probably the team that nobody in the AFC wants to face at this point.

I'm not as sold on Houston being a SB contender after seeing Wade and his blitzes get smoked by Aaron Rodgers and now Tom Brady on national TV.
This isn't a new phenomenon though, Wade Phillips' defenses have often struggled against the really great offenses and quarterbacks. You can go all the way back to Super Bowl 24 when the Niners could have scored 100 points against the Broncos.

Nevertheless, Houston is a good team, not a great team because they have limitations in a couple of areas. I'm really not certain anymore if they are going to beat the Colts twice and win out to secure the #1 seed. I could see them blowing out the Colts at home, but Indy has defied statistics and the odds so frequently this season that it's not a safe bet. Regardless of whether they get the #1 seed, at this point I would be stunned if the Patriots and Broncos didn't represent the AFC in the Super Bowl.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts