Ok please settle this for me, you are a GM starting a Franchise, which player
would you rather have?

Jermaine O'neal or Paul Gasol ??

Thanks

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Re: *Jermaine O'neal or Paul Gasol* POLL

I wouldn't START a franchise with either one of them, but I'd take O'Neal over Gasol easily.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

To me its pretty easy, Jermaine O'neal.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts

Though I like both, I'd take J.O. just because I like his game alittle more.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts

I'd take O'Neal, because he's a better defender, but his inefficient play on the offensive side of the ball (and 43% shooting) leaves a lot to be desired.

Gasol has never been featured in his 4 years in the league. Memphis needs to get him a real PG in the worst way and not shuttle him in and out of the lineup.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

J.O. is better at everything

as far as Pau not being feature as a true #1 guy in memphis....maybe he isn't good enough to be featured...I want him to get more playing time but, maybe West sees he isn't good enough

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts

Pretty tough comparison, considering Gasol's had the title of "least amount of shots per game for a go-to-guy" for a couple seasons running now.

O'Neal's been the centerpiece for the Pacers for multiple years now, and he's established himself as one of the better PFs in the league, but certainly not in the conversation for "the best." His shooting percentage is rather shoddy, and he's got a habit of getting injured at crucial junctures. The types of injuries he's had will, IMO, limit him in the future.

Gasol needs to be featured, and soon. His coaches and his guards never seem to give him the ball, despite him getting the job done whenever he gets it. He still needs to add another 10-15 pounds, which will in itself improve the other low points of his game, but from anyone who's seen him play, it's pretty obvious that the best is yet to come from him, especially if he gets put into a situation like O'Neal has.

Neither are guys who you can build a franchise around by themselves though, like the opening post implies. But I have to respect the point being made by a guy who a) doesn't know how to spell one guy's name; and b) isn't bright enough to know how to add a poll.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts

Niether are franchise players but its easily Jermaine O'neal.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts

tone wone said:
J.O. is better at everything

as far as Pau not being feature as a true #1 guy in memphis....maybe he isn't good enough to be featured...I want him to get more playing time but, maybe West sees he isn't good enough
Any Memphis fan will tell you that Gasol's the best player on our roster. Who else is supposed to be our featured player? Shane Battier? Jason Williams? Lorenzen Wright?

Gasol's a better shooter than Jermaine, evidenced by his 50 percent shooting percentage over the past two seasons, compared to O'Neal's 44. I don't really care to look up the career numbers - Gasol's shot about 50 percent for his entire career. Does a few other little things better than O'Neal as well - passing, etc.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

This is pretty easy because O'Neal is a better player and it's pretty difficult to find an effective interior defender like him.Gasol isn't really able to defend first rate bigs and he doesn't offer you much that you can't replace relatively easily.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts

I saw a game where Gasol had 21 or 25 at halftime and was dominating (opponent slips my mind) and then Jason Williams proceeds to freeze him out for the entire 3rd quarter. He ended up with like 30, but you can't score if guys can't/won't give you the rock.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

Pau may be a better shooter...but FG% isn't really fair to J.O. since he average 7 more shot attempts...also, Pau's not a better passer than J.O. and if he is, its by slim margin...

J.O. is a much better rebounder & defender...

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts

Right now? I'd take JO. But if Memphis can actually build around Pau, meaning putting players around him that can feed him the ball, I think Pau can be a Top 5 PF. He has all teh potential too, and in the playoffs, he dominated teh Suns with like 25/15 one game. He does need to improve his rebounding so he is a double digit rebounder.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts

tone wone said:
Pau may be a better shooter...but FG% isn't really fair to J.O. since he average 7 more shot attempts...also, Pau's not a better passer than J.O. and if he is, its by slim margin...
So let me get this straight.

It's fair to Pau Gasol that Jermaine O'Neal is called a better player because he gets the opportunity to show what he can do and Pau Gasol does not.

But when Pau Gasol shoots five or six percent better than O'Neal, it's not fair to O'Neal because Jermaine gets the opportunity to show what he can do and Pau does not.

And yes, Pau Gasol is a better passer and playmaker than Jermaine O'Neal. In the NBA and especially in international play.

J.O. is a much better rebounder & defender...
No argument. Pau often does not get his due on defense, but it's not a question that O'Neal is better in both of these aspects.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

But
when Pau Gasol shoots five or six percent better than O'Neal, it's not fair to O'Neal because Jermaine gets the opportunity to show what he can do and Pau does not.
Would somebody please give Gasol a cookie for shooting 5 or even 6% better
in a Conference that does not play near as much defense? Thanks. :vbanana:

Besides at some point you have to stop using the excuse that he had not had the opportunity, The better players eventually force the Coach's hand for more time, and if Gasol is the "diamond in the rough", teams sure are knocking down his door? Maybe you know something they don't?

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts

pacerfan23 said:
Would somebody please give Gasol a cookie for shooting 5 or even 6% better
in a Conference that does not play near as much defense?
Would someone please give Jermaine O'Neal a cookie for being a better defender in a conference that does not play near as much offense?

Anyways, Jermaine O'Neal is the better player only because of his advantage defensively and on the boards. I think Gasol is the better offensive player. He has more moves, a nicer touch, and doesn't settle for fallaways. He also isn't the black hole that O'Neal is.

If the Pacers had Gasol instead of O'Neal, their offense would be noticably better. Their defense would suffer a pretty big drop off though, obviously, for the reasons I already pointed out.

470 Posts

HKF said:
I saw a game where Gasol had 21 or 25 at halftime and was dominating (opponent slips my mind) and then Jason Williams proceeds to freeze him out for the entire 3rd quarter. He ended up with like 30, but you can't score if guys can't/won't give you the rock.

You only saw one game like this??

Anyway though I hate what comes out of his mouth I'd take JO for the defense but it's a much smaller margin than anyone believes. If Pau had the opportunities that JO had and a system built around him like JO did, then he'd be one of the highest scoring forwards in the league. The guy has more fakes and post moves than anyone in the NBA right now, he shot nearly 60% against the spurs in the playoffs two seasons ago. I don't know why the guy never gets daps because the fact is he is the most offensively talented ( not dominate) big man out there, the dude is a scoring machine. He just hates weights and won't rebound.

Also to the person knocking 6% better fg% do you have any clue how big that is over the long term?

Edit: Spelled Opportunities like a jerk.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts