Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
It was one game.

And most fans can't even agree to whether the boos were for Pau or if the boos were for Hubie taking out Lorenzen when he was having a great game.

I'm not for booing any of our guys, but this is professional basketball. It happens.

And as far as not appreciating Pau, I love Pau. I think he might need a swift kick in the rear every now and then, but I don't want to see him go. I've admittedly never been a fan of finesse basketball, but he's our Pau, so I try to be supportive. I've been critical of Pau in the past, but he's grown on me this season, and I think he's going to be a tremendous player.

This incident has really been blown of proportion.

Excerpt from the Commercial Appeal

"If you don't start jumping I'm going to pull you out," Brown said. "If you don't jump you can't play."

Gasol became the first Grizzly to be booed at home since the franchise moved to Memphis in 2001-02. It happened with 9:20 left in the game when Brown inserted Gasol for Lorenzen Wright, who was on his way to an 18-point performance.

"They booed because I came out," Wright said. "They would have booed anybody coming in because I'd just hit a couple of shots. The fans don't coach. Hubie saw we needed a power forward to create a mismatch against a smaller guy."

Just more than a minute later when Gasol held the ball too long in the post and got stripped leading to a shot clock violation, the crowd booed Gasol as he walked back to the huddle during a timeout.

"I didn't really hear it," Gasol said. "If I hear any boos, I hope they aren't booing me."

But Brown, who coached the Knicks from 1982-87 before one of the toughest home crowds in the NBA, understood the frustration of the Grizzlies fans.

"Three times Dampier tipped the ball over him (Gasol) and two other times he was standing right under the basket when Dampier scored," Brown said. "That's five scores he should have rebounded. Through that, you got to be a helluva fan to stay positive."

Brown was just as frustrated with Gasol as the Grizzlies' faithful, mainly because Gasol didn't apply the scouting report.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The fans of Memphis appreciate much to him, but also they demand to him so that they know that he can give but of if same.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

I for one have been a so-called hater on Pau and think that everyone gets booed now and then, but Pau is developing into one of the better big men in the League. I think Pau will continue to improve especially if he can add some weight(as I have said a million times in the past) and if he can get over complaining to the officials. I think that for one is why sometimes he gets booed b/c he complains to the refs alot. Aside from that Pau is starting to grow on me also......not literally!

·
Registered
281 Posts
i was at the game and i booed, but i was booing because Ren was hot and Hubie yanked him for Pau. up to that point, Pau was not getting it done. purely booing Hubie's decision - as most people were - and not Pau. all the reporter had to do was ask the fans rather than assume.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts