Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-salary-owners.htm

Micky Arison (owner of the Heat) is 2nd. Amare Stoudemire, Dwayne Wade, Tony Parker, Udonis Haslem and Bobby Simmons are the most underpaid players based on production. All of them with the exception of Haslem and Simmons are on their rookie contracts. They've also got a sortable salary database which is alot more detailed than the one at Hoopshype.com.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
HOLY CRAP......... just this morning I was thinking to myself, "I'd like to see a list of all NBA owners and their background/worth". Wow, what a head trip...

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Nice find Mr. Rogers.

Spurs owner Peter Holt is tied for least wealthiest owner, Parker is the best frontcourt bargain, and Brent Barry is listed under the overpriced backcourt.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Paul Allen the wealthiest? No way, what does he do for a living LOL.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Amplifier said:
"Jerry Buss

L.A. Lakers

$380 million"

His share of the Lakers is worth over 400 million last I checked.
Yes, that's what i was wondering. Some of these owners that are worth in the low hundreds.. don't they own 100% of clubs that are worth at least $300 mill?

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
most of them are majority owners so who actually owns the most % of their team? is anyone at 100?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
carrrnuttt said:
He founded Microsoft with his pal, Bill.
I know, that's why I said LOL.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Dickau ranks second in the backcourt bargain index behind Parker. Sweet..

By the way... I've known this for long time but this pretty much clinches it: Brian Grant is the most overpaid player in the league.

(the system is vastly flawed though... it doesn't factor in percentages which is a very important part of determining a players value)

·
Banned
336 Posts
I don't think there's an accurate way to judge anyone's networth without setting a month of your life aside to analyse their books.

Most wealthy people don't have the liquidity to compare bank accounts so all we're left with is their equity (value of stuff they own) and capitalized values (value of their income)... translation: Guesses.

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
Allen has finished in the top 5 wealthiest people in the world (Forbes) many, many times. He has lost quite a bit in the last few years with some projects that didnt pan out but he is still one of the wealthiest people in the world. Usually has a net worth around 20 billion.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mr. Roger's Cardigan said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-salary-owners.htm

Micky Arison (owner of the Heat) is 2nd. Amare Stoudemire, Dwayne Wade, Tony Parker, Udonis Haslem and Bobby Simmons are the most underpaid players based on production. All of them with the exception of Haslem and Simmons are on their rookie contracts. They've also got a sortable salary database which is alot more detailed than the one at Hoopshype.com.
Thanks for posting that.

REPPED.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Nice to see the Jazz owner, whose highest education is high school. Looks like there's someone in the NBA from high school who's making more money than Kevin Garnett.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This could be wrong. Cuban sold one of his company to Yahoo for 5.7billion and he's only worth 1.3billion?

Take a look at coaches salary and see what Rick Adelman has to say:

"After I saw that in the paper," he said, "I called the (Kings) office. But that was after calling my accountant. There's a lot of money I've been missing if that was right. I'm in Sacramento, not in New York. Why would anybody think I would be the highest-paid coach in the league?

"My name has never even been mentioned in those circles. Shoot, I'd better check my next pay stub to see if something has changed that I don't know about.

"You would think somebody would make a call to somebody and say, 'We're running this story, and we wanted to know if we were even in the ballpark.' Because they aren't even close on that one, and there are at least three or four others (coach's salaries) in there I know are wrong. It just blew my mind to read that."

·
Registered
234 Posts
shoprite said:
This could be wrong. Cuban sold one of his company to Yahoo for 5.7billion and he's only worth 1.3billion?
Well, after about $4 billion in league fines...yeah, that'd be about right :)

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
Nice find Mr. Rogers.

Spurs owner Peter Holt is tied for least wealthiest owner, Parker is the best frontcourt bargain, and Brent Barry is listed under the overpriced backcourt.
This makes cheapasses like Donald Sterling (Clippers) and Howard Schultz (Sonics) look pretty bad, with their reputations for not paying to keep good players.

Another observation is that Larry Miller (Jazz) is right in the middle of the pack. You wouldn't think so with the way he plays the local carsalesman angle whenever the issue of salaries comes about.

What we can tell from this list is that having a wealthy owner 1) is no indication of how much salaries they will take on and more importantly 2) how good the team will be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts