Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that Allen and Vulcan will simply fold the Blazers franchise. Go out of business. I'm sure that the corporate bean counters have just such a plan all written out and on file with the league office. From a business standpoint, in their eyes, it would be better than losing the tens of millions of dollars that the team is slated to lose in the next several years. And can Portland or the Players Union stop them? Doubtful. All of the players would be distributed throughout the league in some sort of special draft, so I doubt any of them would really care, since they'd continue to be paid.

Dark, dark days we live in as Blazer fans.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
yet that would cost allen a lot of $$ too

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
won't happen...he would rather sell for a ridiculously low price (which someone will pay) and recoup some $$ then just fold and gain nothing by doing so.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
That would be like taking your 98 Ford Explorer to the dump because gas prices are so high and you can't afford to make the payments. Why on earth would throw away an asset instead of getting something for it?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NBAGOD said:
Pleeeeeeaaaaseeeee...get a clue. The franchise is worth a couple hundred million $$$$....Allen would never just fold it. Why start a thread like this????
Because it's a plausable situation. The Blazers are projected to lose 100 million dollars over the next 3-5 years. That's 2/3 of the entire value of the franchise.

I'm not saying it's even likely. I'm saying that it's an option that should be considered and feared.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
in beaverton

actually why not build in tigard or sherwood :D

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
chris_in_pdx said:
Because it's a plausable situation. The Blazers are projected to lose 100 million dollars over the next 3-5 years. That's 2/3 of the entire value of the franchise.
Not really.

The $150m to $200m current franchise estimate includes a discount for future losses such as those you're describing. Net present value, my friend. I find it very funny that you're taking a crack at Vulcan not being "competent" and yet you seem to miss that simple concept.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You guys are not considering that it is un-sellable right now... with the current deal with the RG the team can't make money, I don't even think they could if the stands were full. What investor would buy that? No one. It is worthless, even less so because you are guaranteed to lose money. If they can get a new stadium deal done... then it has some value... but it doesn't seem like PAM is interested in a deal. With the agreement as it is... Allen either 1) eats another 100 million between now and 3 years... or 2) he lets the team fold or 3) PAM changes their mind and agrees to sell the stadium along with a deal. I guess 4 would be PAM lets the Blazers go bankrupt, then buys the team and sells them both themselves.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
Paxil said:
You guys are not considering that it is un-sellable right now... with the current deal with the RG the team can't make money, I don't even think they could if the stands were full. What investor would buy that? No one. It is worthless, even less so because you are guaranteed to lose money. If they can get a new stadium deal done... then it has some value... but it doesn't seem like PAM is interested in a deal. With the agreement as it is... Allen either 1) eats another 100 million between now and 3 years... or 2) he lets the team fold or 3) PAM changes their mind and agrees to sell the stadium along with a deal. I guess 4 would be PAM lets the Blazers go bankrupt, then buys the team and sells them both themselves.

this is why moving the team isn't really an option. If he tried to move, he'd get sued because HE set it up to fail, and I'm not sure that's necessarily legal. It's kind of like insider trading, isn't it? I mean, not the exact same, but same idea.

If the NBA were to allow a team to move, because of the financial bed that the team *itself* made, then that'd look really bush league for the league (and bring up things that the league probably doesn't want to deal with. Namely sacramento and seattle). At least with Charlotte and Vancouver, there were circumstances that were difficult to deal with (money exchange/fan support and an owner who basically alienated the fan base and killed his own golden goose and THAT was the cause).

Wheraes the RG could have a sell-out and it wouldn't really change much of the $$ coming in. A new owner could pay 330 million (lets say it was 150+180) and it *wouldn't* be losing the 100 million over the 3 years.

They'd also have something that now would be instantly worth more than 330 million. Mostly because the team then wouldn't be a renter, wouldn't be losing money hand over fist, and would have the arena back in their conotrol for *all* of the stuff that goes on in it.

The team + the arena (as one entity) is worth more than they are seperate. Kind of like a new car without an engine. The engine is worth X, and the car is woth Y. Together they're worth Z (which is greater than X+Y).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.