Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
don't be fooled. he's soft. it just so happens he shows up whenever MSU's televised nationally on ESPN. i will give him this - he has been playing much better this season.

·
Registered
719 Posts
netsgiants said:
I don't see why hes projected to be drafted so low. He is a great rebounder, good size 6'11 and seems to be very solid offensively and defensively. Any input?

the kid was surpose to be a top five pick early in his career but he just hasn't improve much at all over the years.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
TM said:
don't be fooled. he's soft. it just so happens he shows up whenever MSU's televised nationally on ESPN. i will give him this - he has been playing much better this season.
Agreed. He has been a disapointment his entire career. I think he is another who has improved marginally since he's been in college.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i just dont agree with the notion that paul hasnt improved much. he came into school being able to shoot and rebound a little but not much else. he now has a great shot with range out to the college three point line he has become a terriffic rebounder and he has shown so much more defensive tenacity. he has become very clutch and yes he has played soft in the past, but now he has a mean streak.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
but will that streak continue? he's been known to display that streak early in his career. just seems like he disappears too often in games.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
Key word- solid. He's not spectacular, and there are many 'solid' centers in the league. The next Chirs Mihm?

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
see, like i said. shows up for the nationally televised games... we'll see if he shows up for the rest of the games this year.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
ralaw said:
Agreed. He has been a disapointment his entire career. I think he is another who has improved marginally since he's been in college.
So now your theory applies to college as well. You know full well that this isn't true.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Paul Davis is a lottery prospect, he will prove that by the end of the season. He plays nothing like Mihm...he's not nearly as athletic but is much more skilled. He has a huge base, there won't be many people that'll be able to push him around.

P.S., I just want to add that Paul Bunyan is the worst nickname I've ever heard. I hope it doesn't catch on with anyone.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I have always liked him a lot (although Vincent Vega had called him a bum), but Izzo still hasn't gotten the kid a point guard. Neitzel stinks. He's a lot tougher, but he plays more like a 5 then a 4 man to me.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Even though he goes to the wrong school (Go Blue) I still hope he does well since we are from the same high school. I don't see him lasting in the NBA for very long but maybe I will be wrong.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Last night was a great example of why Davis is a marginal prospect for a big man, while he had nice scoring numbers (he's a very adept scorer) he was horrendous on the defensive end, letting Ra'Sean Dickey bulldoze him around under the basket on the other end.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
WTChan said:
Key word- solid. He's not spectacular, and there are many 'solid' centers in the league. The next Chirs Mihm?
Not even close.....

Paul Davis is a good outside shooter for a big man.....Chris Mihm relies on all of his points coming from in the paint.....

Mihm is also a way better defender...

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Jonathan Watters said:
So now your theory applies to college as well. You know full well that this isn't true.
Stop trying to make it seem like I hate on all white players. The fact is he hasn't developed as expected. If you don't believe me than read the rest of the post in this thread. I'm simply pointing out the truth! Again as in the other thread...show me how my comments aren't true. I didn't say he didn't improve, I just said he improved marginally. Stop taking things so personal.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
TM said:
Yes - Paul Davis is tall and white like Chris Mihm. He must be Mihm's clone!
So you think I call him that because he's white? I never said anything bad about Bogut.
Paul Davis is soft. Creampuff. Cheesecake. Tofu. He doesn't have standout athletic ability, and he plays small. He plays with an atittude similar to Yao's in his rookie year. Yao only got away with it because he is 7'5-6. Davis is 6'11, and he plays smaller than some 6'8 guys- Simien, Okafor, Collison, Diogu etc.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
ralaw said:
Stop trying to make it seem like I hate on all white players. The fact is he hasn't developed as expected. If you don't believe me than read the rest of the post in this thread. I'm simply pointing out the truth! Again as in the other thread...show me how my comments aren't true. I didn't say he didn't improve, I just said he improved marginally. Stop taking things so personal.
Over the last year, there aren't more than a handful of players at the college level more improved than Paul Davis. He was soft and complacent up until March, but that changed during Michigan State's final four run, and has carried over to the new season thus far. If you have watched Davis over this time, you know this. People can bring up the "soft" tag all they want, but he hasn't shown that one bit this season.

And I really can't understand how you can expect people to think that you aren't hating on white players. You stereotype an entire race, make comments about white players that go along with these stereotypes, and then claim that you aren't making stereotypes. How can you possibly talk about Adam Morrison not having upside in an Adam Morrison thread, come up with a list of white players that don't have upside, and then claim the two posts are completely unrelated? That's absurd, and an insult to the intelligence of everyone involved in the thread. When it comes to Paul Davis, you are simply wrong, since he has improved dramatically in recent months.

I'm taking nothing personally, but am simply pointing out some very obvious flaws in the methodology you are using - which you seem to be incapable of accepting.

I can agree to disagree, but at least admit what you are doing here.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Jonathan Watters said:
Over the last year, there aren't more than a handful of players at the college level more improved than Paul Davis. He was soft and complacent up until March, but that changed during Michigan State's final four run, and has carried over to the new season thus far. If you have watched Davis over this time, you know this. People can bring up the "soft" tag all they want, but he hasn't shown that one bit this season. ...When it comes to Paul Davis, you are simply wrong, since he has improved dramatically in recent months.
If nothing else Paul Davis is a late bloomer. Yes, this year he has been playing well. However, the way he is playing now was expected from him when he was a sophmore. I agree Paul Davis has played with heart and determination this year. LOL, recent months as compared to 4 years! Just remember Paul Davis was a McDonalds All-American coming out of highschool, so he should be dominating in his senior year!

Jonathan Watters said:
And I really can't understand how you can expect people to think that you aren't hating on white players. You stereotype an entire race, make comments about white players that go along with these stereotypes, and then claim that you aren't making stereotypes.
Again and again I have asked you to show me where I have made stereotypes! I am still waiting. Again, you have assumed that much and held on to it to validate your claims. I sat here and told you (post #74) Adam Morrison was the BEST player in college basketball with Reddick being #2...what more do you want?

ralaw said:
I believe the top 3 players in the country are 1) Morrison 2) Reddick 3) Shelden Williams however to me none of them are worthy of a top 5 pick.
Stop assuming so much. GO THROUUGH EVERY ONE OF MY POST IN THE ADAM MORRISON THREAD AND SHOW ME WHERE I SAID MORRISON OR ANY OTHER WHITE AMERICAN BORN PLAYER WASN'T GOOD SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE!!! SHOW ME WHERE I MADE STEREOTYPES!! You are reading to much into my post!

Jonathan Watters said:
How can you possibly talk about Adam Morrison not having upside in an Adam Morrison thread, come up with a list of white players that don't have upside, and then claim the two posts are completely unrelated? That's absurd, and an insult to the intelligence of everyone involved in the thread. When it comes to Paul Davis, you are simply wrong, since he has improved dramatically in recent months.
Trust me if I had something to say, I would just say it. Again, you are interpreting my opinions and the list in the wrong way. I have repeatedly said, the list is of EVERY white American born player picked in the top 15 since 1992. I really am having a hard time understanding how I twisted this list to say what I wanted it to say, when I took EVERY player. As I said and have been saying, the list is showing a possible solution as to why white American born players are getting downgraded.

Jonathan Watters said:
I'm taking nothing personally, but am simply pointing out some very obvious flaws in the methodology you are using - which you seem to be incapable of accepting.

I can agree to disagree, but at least admit what you are doing here.
Again, SHOW ME THESE FLAWS YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT! The only thing I am doing is looking at basketball players and judging them accordingly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts