Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The horrific right leg injury that Paul George suffered during a pre-FIBA World Cup Team USA exhibition on Aug. 1 seemed to change so much — the way NBA players and observers viewed international competitions; the short- and long-term outlook for the Indiana Pacers, the franchise with whom George became an All-Star and that has staked its future on the belief that he will be a maximum-salary-worthy, MVP-caliber cornerstone through at least the end of this decade; etc.

Most importantly, though, it seemed to change the career prospects of a 24-year-old who went from somewhat-surprising top-10 draft pick to the outskirts of the MVP debate in less than four years, only to see that ascent violently halted, thanks to some bad luck and bad basket-stanchion placement while hustling during a scrimmage. Now, nearly six months after the traumatic incident that altered the path of his career and his life, George relives his injury in a video series produced by Bleacher Report. While the series itself will focus on his recovery — it's called "Paul George's Road Back," after all — first things have to come first, and for George and his parents, Paul Sr. and Paulette, that means talking his way through the hopeful moments before the break, the horrifying realization of what had transpired, and the work to pick up the pieces in the aftermath:

(Video in link)

It's easy to forget, so many months after the fact, but it all started with George doing precisely the sort of thing that has made him such a valuable NBA player — seeing an opportunity to make a defensive play and moving as quickly as he can to do so, in this case by hunting a chasedown block on a fast-break by James Harden.

"I missed. I didn't get the ball. But then I came down, and it was just awkward," George says in the video. "I didn't really feel nothing then, but I just knew I couldn't put my foot down. I couldn't help myself from standing. I tried to grab onto the mat to help myself, like, 'Why can't I stand right now?' I looked down to look at my legs, and I saw my bone. And the second I saw my bone, I just ... I lost it."

George's parents open up about the terror they instantly felt — "I was thinking in my mind, 'I hope his career is not over,'" said Paulette George — and, though George himself is a bit more circumspect, he's clear about how difficult the moment was for him as he lay there under the basket at the Thomas and Mack Center.

"That was a tough point, right there," he said. "Everything just slowed down. Like, I could hear every individual in the arena talking."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/paul-george-revisits-leg-injury---the-second-i-saw-my-bone-----i-lost-it-190816712.html

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
This thread just made me think of this video:

He was really at the point where he could compete with any wing in the league.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts