Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Pierce should just record his "my teammates lack mental toughness" speech on CD and send it out after each loss. That way, he wouldn't have to make the same speech over and over again. Also, given how the team is playing, the CD could become almost as widely distributed as AOL 9.0, and Paul's agent should look into the possibility of selling advertising space on the disc label.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
He did it again? Wow, I don't have time to read the crap they put in the papers anymore, but I guess he once again called the players out.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I love how with Paul it is always everyone elses fault but his own.
Does he ever take the blame for anything?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!
I love how with Paul it is always everyone elses fault but his own.
Does he ever take the blame for anything?
I keep thinking the same thing myself. I am tired of reading PP's answers. Just shut up Paul and put the ball in the hoop without giving it away to the other team so much.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I understand the frustration with paul not taking responsibility but he is right...He would turn it over less if his teamates helped more by being aware and cutting to an open spot. The double team should not surprise anymore. Actually last nights comments were when paul was sitting on the bench, he felt the guys werent tough enough mentally.. I feel they do pretty good without him most of the time..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theBirdman</b>!
He is NOT a leader! And never will be!

And this is NOT his team! He has to earn it first!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Birdman you are totally right!!!

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Who else does anything besides Mr. 4th Quarter? Maybe Ainge is to blame here.

Who can Pierce play with? Davis?

Please.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He certainly wasn't Mr. 4th quarter last night against the Cavs. In fact he disappeared dfor the entire second half after being outshot by the Cavs' mascot.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
He certainly wasn't Mr. 4th quarter last night against the Cavs. In fact he disappeared dfor the entire second half after being outshot by the Cavs' mascot.
The Cavs completely swarmed Paul after what he did to them in the second quarter and denied him the ball. I watched Paul without the ball, and he was constantly running around but couldn't shake all the defenders. They made the rest of the Celtics beat them, and they couldn't. Welsch had a couple wide open shots. So did McCarty. Pierce was the reason they were even in the game after 10 minutes without a basket between the first and second quarters. Everybody hates it when it becomes the Pierce show, but then somehow it's his fault when his teammates can't pick up some of the load. The commentators were constantly saying how Pierce doesn't have any help and can't do it alone. And these aren't Boston commentators. Don't tell me John Thompson doesn't know what he's talking about.

I really want to see what Ainge does before the deadline. If he's building for the future, he surely doesn't have all the right pieces. To his credit, if things had gone as planned, we'd probably be seeing better basketball. With LaFrentz and Baker healthy and playing to their potential, I think the team would be much better off. This three man rotation of Blount, Mihm, and McCarty playing 3 spots is just not working, especially when Mihm is essentially finished in the eyes of Carroll after he picks up his second foul. We'd see a lot less of McCarty if Baker and LaFrentz were playing.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by <b>mrsister</b>!

Don't tell me John Thompson doesn't know what he's talking about.
John Thompson doesn't know what he's talking about. There, I told you.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So you believe Pierce has lots of help?
I believe Pierce needs lots of help.

Here is the Celtics' W-L record since Pierce joined the team:

19-31
35-47
36-46
49-33
44-38
23-30

That's 206-225 overall.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The commentators were constantly saying how Pierce doesn't have any help and can't do it alone. And these aren't Boston commentators. Don't tell me John Thompson doesn't know what he's talking about.

I.

Exactly. He does, neither were Boston commentators, and clearly share my view and a few on this board that we need to build around Pierce, END OF STORY.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

I believe Pierce needs lots of help.

Here is the Celtics' W-L record since Pierce joined the team:

19-31
35-47
36-46
49-33
44-38
23-30

That's 206-225 overall.
First 3 seasons - Pitino. Enough said.
Next 2 seasons - OB with Walker.
This season - Some OB, some Carroll, no Walker, some no Williams, and a bunch of trades and other distractions.

So his fourth and fifth season, he had decent (not great) coaching and some decent (not great) help. His fourth season was the best when he had Rogers on the team. They took a step back when they didn't re-sign Rogers and made the Baker trade. Still, they had a winning season. So those 2 seasons are when Pierce had the most help and best coaching, and they still were sorely lacking in both areas. Yet they were 93-71 overall. Imagine what a great coach and better help would do for Pierce. Pair Pierce with Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kidd, J. O'Neal, Nowitzki - basically any dominant big man or point guard - and you have a winning team. Maybe not a championship team because the rest of the guys can't be crap, but I can pretty much guarantee you Pierce would return to his pre-Walker trade form, if not better. A short term fix would be to start with a new coach. Someone who's not afraid to get in Pierce's face, and someone who's committed to developing the rookies who probably have superior talent but just don't have the experience to get playing time from OB or Carroll.

Also, since Pierce joined, the overall record is 206-225. If Pierce had not joined (and we didn't get Carter or Nowitzki), I'm pretty sure that record would be much, much worse, unless we got so bad that we got a high lottery pick another one of those years, but then we probably would've screwed that up, too.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I'm pretty sure that record would be much, much worse, unless we got so bad that we got a high lottery pick another one of those years, but then we probably would've screwed that up, too.
If Dallas had taken Pierce at #9, we would have taken Nowitski at #10 (Pitino made a not-so-secret trip to Germany to work Nowitski out the week before the draft). And we would have had a much better record over the past 6 years.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

If Dallas had taken Pierce at #9, we would have taken Nowitski at #10 (Pitino made a not-so-secret trip to Germany to work Nowitski out the week before the draft). And we would have had a much better record over the past 6 years.
You neglected to quote the first part of my sentence:

<b>If Pierce had not joined (and we didn't get Carter or Nowitzki), </b>I'm pretty sure that record would be much, much worse, unless we got so bad that we got a high lottery pick another one of those years, but then we probably would've screwed that up, too.
That meant that Nowitzki would have been as good a prize. Carter I'm not too sure of, but it might've worked out. Thinking about it, I'm not sure how well Nowitzki and Walker would've played together then. They play together now, but Nowitzki is already established in Dallas and they have Nelson as a coach and other stars on the team (Finley, Nash, Jamison). I'm not sure they would've gotten along as well in Boston as Walker and Pierce did. But anyway, you're trying to make a point I already accounted for.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, everyone says how great it was that Pierce dropped into our laps at #10. It wasn't really, not as the '98 draft unfolded.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Well, everyone says how great it was that Pierce dropped into our laps at #10. It wasn't really, not as the '98 draft unfolded.
How do you figure? The other seven guys:

Olowokandi
Bibby
LaFrentz
Jamison
Traylor
Williams
Hughes

Some of them are decent but didn't make much of an impact on the teams they were drafted by and were eventually traded. I'm pretty sure Pitino would've done the same. I bet every single one of those teams wished they'd drafted Pierce.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts