Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vince carter is more flashy and spectacular and all that stuff, but when you get down to it Paul Pierce is better.

Scores more points, and plays better defense. Leads his team farther! :yes:

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Boston running plays for Pierce by having him in the post. To be honest with you, Pierce did have tough time scoring on Aaron Mackie if not using screens to jack up 3s.

Pierce's offensive game is limited in the low/high post. So he can take his man off the dribble occasionally outside the 3 point line but on a consistent basis he couldnt do that and the reason Jersey won the series in the east finals because Jersey saw Pierce's weakness. They knew Pierce was going to post up so they sent 2 guys at him which forced Pierce gave up the ball and forced the weakside shooters in Erick Strickland to shoot 3s for like 5-8 times.

While Carter has a much better handle then he is given credit for, I dont know if you guys know Lenny Wilkens had a lot of restrictions to Vince. Lenny's mindset is to have a balance offensive attack. There is no such ONE MAN team in the NBA will succed but hey, Vince Carter has the ability to do so. He almost has the total package offensively. He can take his man off the dribbles, he can shoot 3s, he can post up okay. All he lacks is a on the move mid range shot. If that shot is added in his repitore, we can easily say Carter is better than Kobe offensively becasue Carter has the Jordan's strength, power tahts something Kobe lacks in his game.

Pierce may looks better now but Carter has much great potential in him!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Toronto things were built around Vince, before he got hurt. If I was Toronto I would have let Vince go if it meant keeping T-Mac. Vince does not have a second scoring option on his team. Pierce does. Pierce still gets more points. And there is no comparison when it comes to defense.

I like vince, he is a good dunker. And he does have great potential but Pierce is more polished.

Pierce is more like a Larry Bird only with better defense. Hes not real athletic. ( I dont think he can dunk! :laugh: ) But he can score and play defense and lead his team farther than Vince has!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I would take Vince over Pierce for the same reasons that Penny listed.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
it's funny how things change. 2 years ago, there were plenty of posts on fanhome comparing carter to shaq, with toronto fans swearing they would take carter, and that he deserved mvp over shaq. now, he's getting compared unfavorably to pierce.

carter is a gifted offensive player. he's probably underated as an all-around player, although he definitely has room for improvement, especially in consistency, day to day, play to play. both he and pierce rely too much on the 3 at this point, and should concentrate on lessening that dependence.

if i had to pick between the 2, my instinct says to go with carter. pierce is probably the better all-around player right now, but carter i think can be the better player. will he ever get that mental edge that the true superstars have? will he respond better to adversity? big questions for his future. pierce seemed to have it all together, till things started going awry against nj. funny how things can change.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'd take Vince,

He is better on the offensive side. He can shoot threes, post up, take a 15 ft jumper and hit it consistantly, he can dunk like nothing. He looks at defense. Look at his stats previous to this season. They were great.

Paul Pierce is good. He's my 2nd favourite player but Vince is better IMO. True, Pierce does play better defense but Vince is still better. I hope he proves his critics wrong this year.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
It always surprises me when people say that Pierce has better defense than Vince. I watch both players and I just don't see that. So many times Paul forgets who he is guarding and sometimes rotates - to nobody, to an area that is uninhabited. :D

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by Malakian
It is ludacris to say that Pierce does not play better defense than Carter!:sour:
It may appear ludicrous to you, but it is my opinion, which I also added a reason why I thought Paul was not so much better than Vince when it comes to defense.:angel:

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Originally posted by Malakian
On defense Carter gets beat off the dribble a lot. Remeber the Philly series?
I seriously don't see that because I have all his playoff games on tapes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts