Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cavs coach sorry for remark about Utah forward Boozer

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers coach Paul Silas apologized Wednesday for a derogatory comment he made about Utah forward Carlos Boozer following practice earlier this week.

Silas made the remark to reporters Monday, one day before Boozer was due to make his long-awaited return to Gund Arena after leaving the Cavaliers as a free agent last summer. Boozer, though, didn't travel with the Jazz because of a foot injury.

"It was totally inappropriate," Silas said before Wednesday's game in Milwaukee. "It shouldn't have happened. I apologize for it."

Cavaliers general manager Jim Paxson said he spoke with Silas about the comment.

"I'm confident that he understands that it was completely inappropriate for him to speak in the terms that he did," Paxson said in a statement released by the team. "He greatly regrets it. Regardless of the circumstances, it would never be acceptable for anyone in our organization to speak in that manner at any time, regarding anyone, to anyone. We are very sorry that this occurred."
According to someone on another message board I visit, the exchange was re-played on the Jim Rome show, and it went like this:

Reporter: Coach, what's your opinion of Carlos Boozer?

Silas: C U Next Tuesday.

Reporter: Um, you mean tomorrow?

Silas: Just spell it out. That's what he is.

:rofl:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Ah, Paul Silas just rose a notch in my book.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
His phrase is better reserved for his own coaching ability.

Paul Silas is C U Next Tuesday quality coach: I sympathesize with Orlando fans but I can't imagine Davis being a worse coach then Silas. His substitutions make no sense and are erratic. Play design is pathetic. I wonder if Phil Jackson would want to coach the Cavs

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
That is a pretty classless comment from such a regarded coach. Irregardless of what Boozer did. IMO.

·
Registered
721 Posts
:no:

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
His phrase is better reserved for his own coaching ability.

Paul Silas is C U Next Tuesday quality coach: I sympathesize with Orlando fans but I can't imagine Davis being a worse coach then Silas. His substitutions make no sense and are erratic. Play design is pathetic. I wonder if Phil Jackson would want to coach the Cavs
No kidding. Silas needs to spend more time watching tape and less time making stupid quotes to the media. Mabye it would help him actually have a logical rotation before the season ends.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
I really hate how basketball teams try to shut everyone up. That apology by Silas was complete BS, I believe, he was forced to do so by the team. That really irritates me how teams always force players and coaches to be fake. What's wrong with a guy speaking his mind? Cavs look a little worse in my mind for that.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
I don't like the comment at all... It was stupid and pointless... And totally classless...

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA.
I agree. Paul Silas just rose a few notches in my book. I wonder if that was off-the top, or pre-written?

And Paul Silas' coaching has really gotten on track since the 6 game slip. That seemed to knock some sense into him.

I would say though that he's a middle of the road coach. He's not a top tier coach. But he's not horrible either. He's a decent coach for Lebron's first few years. But he is not the guy where Lebron is going to find his greatest success under.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
On IS, one guy posted this in perhaps what might have set the stage for Silas' comments (all may be rumor but interesting still):

Lebron James mom got in his face one time in the tunnel. Boozer said something back and Lebron wanted to kill him. Silas heard what Boozer said and checked him on it, saying you dont say things like that. Boozer told Silas to go screw himself. Drama was formed and bad blood entered the mix.

·
Registered
878 Posts
RoyWilliams said:
Classless - Yes
Hilarious - Yes
I love the fact the interviewer/news-guy didn't get it the first time.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
if it was a verbal interview, how did the reporter know how to interpret see = c and you = u?

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Lebron James mom got in his face one time in the tunnel. Boozer said something back and Lebron wanted to kill him. Silas heard what Boozer said and checked him on it, saying you dont say things like that. Boozer told Silas to go screw himself. Drama was formed and bad blood entered the mix.
No offense but does Lebron's mom have to be everywhere? She's almost as ubiquitous as Iverson's mom. I can excuse that but why is she yelling at other players? She's a mother not a coach. If you have something negative to say, say it to Lebron and let Lebron say it to Boozer.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts